Shifting on Your P5

Just wanted to ask.....

At what RPM do you normally shift your P5 Manual?

I normally use 3k RPM when I'm just cruising. If I want to pull away from traffic, I use 4k RPM in 1st to 3rd, then 3k to 4th & 5th gears. When I just want to check out I use 5k RPM from 1st to 3rd gears.

Well mine is an auto sport but I usually shift 3K and 4K

(its not going to hurt when I do 4K sometimes during brake in right?)

Rogue_Biker said:

I normally use 3k RPM when I'm just cruising. If I want to pull away from traffic, I use 4k RPM in 1st to 3rd, then 3k to 4th & 5th gears. When I just want to check out I use 5k RPM from 1st to 3rd gears.

I'm about the same as you.

The torque curve on the engine begins falling off after about 4750 RPM, and I've found no benefit to revving it any higher than 5K.

Don

NORMALLY...about 4K. ..... if for some reason I see THE MAN around...maybe 3K......if I am "gettin it"....6K.

I was thinking about this on the way home yesterday.
My shifting pattern is really similar to rest of you guys...
1st - 3.5K
2nd - 3.5K
3rd - 3K
4th - 3K

From a light or wanting a "spirited" start...
1st - 5.5K
2nd - 4.5K
3rd - 4K

Merging on the Interstate...
3rd - 5.5K to 6K :)

My car has never even seen the redline. I have run it to ~6250 RPM's a few times. It doesn't put out enough power at high RPM's to warrant anything over 6K in my opinion. It made a little power difference with the Wires, K&N, and Intake Silencer removed in the 4.5K area though, surprisingly.

On the other hand, my truck shifts itself at 2,000 RPM's and still makes the tires chirp from 1st to 2nd...2nd to 3rd if I am at anything over 1/4 throttle. ;) Damn I wish the P5 had the torque of my truck. :) Oh well...

I do very much like Sir Nuke. I like the pull it generates at 4K RPM. When I take my time and try to save gas 3K is enough.

Thanks guys.

Yeah. I noticed that the P5 really feels strong between 3k - 5k RPM. I also agree that beyond 5k RPM, the power seems to plateau and there's little point in revving it past 6k RPM.

I think about these things when I'm driving it. Kind of geeky I know.

Rogue_Biker said:
Kind of geeky I know.

No it ain't! Why do you think the RPM gauge is there? I drove a F2000 race car once and the first thing the teacher said is : "Check your RPM's". Fortunately, the gauge in my car was not working...teacher said not to rev over 3.5K...I don't think I ever shifted below 5.5K (you should hear the tape my wife made)...hehe.

Ohh oh, I usually shift between 5000-6000, just normal driving 4000 k. Am I over doing it??

Seems to be the only way to get any power out of that little windbag

Maybe you're at higher elevation.

I can keep up with traffic shifting at 3.5k RPM from 1st to 3rd. So anything above that and I pull away from everyone except those that are trying to get ahead of me!

Back