Shift Points on the MSP3 - with Hypertech

hjj

Inspired by the book "Fast Car Physics" by Chuck Edmondson, and being a physicist and MSP3 2007 owner, I decided to do my own calculations of Acceleration Vs Speed, to determine the shift points. I used published Hypertech (which I have on my car) HP and Torque dyno data and the available data on the car dimensions, drag coefficient, etc. The result is the attached graph. Any time the acceleration curves cross, it means that there is better acceleration to be had in the next gear. It can also be seen that you are better off shifting below the RPM-cutoff. The shift points are: 1st to 2nd: 6500, 2nd to 3rd: 6250, 3rd to 4rth: just below 6000, 4th to 5th: just below 6000, 5th to 6th: 5750. I am including the whole spreadsheet in case somebody else wants to input their own dyno curves or play with the numbers. I guess the overall message is that higher revs can sometimes work against you unless the torque curve is very flat. Enjoy! MSP3Data_html_m1c18a6a4.jpg

Attachments

• MSP3Data.xls
    44 KB · Views: 117
The simple fact in this is all you need to do is drive by feel. Stock turbo cannot hold boost up top. I shift by 6k at the track from 2nd gear on, with stock turbo.

It's good to know that the numbers match your experience on the track. For those who don't have regular access to a track (or a good street) developing a good enough feel for shifting is not so easy.

Back