shift knob is dinged up

You can try using a small amount of toothpaste, the old fashioned white stuff not the gel. Put a small amount on a wet rag and rub in then buff. Be careful not to get it on the top or the vinyl. I have seen this done on jewelry and it worked.

You can try using a small amount of toothpaste, the old fashioned white stuff not the gel. Put a small amount on a wet rag and rub in then buff. Be careful not to get it on the top or the vinyl. I have seen this done on jewelry and it worked.
replace the toothpaste with brasso or mothers aluminum polish

you don't want to try and "fix" this, just improve

You will probably have to do what I did to mine, wet sand it and then polish it. Looks much better but you just have to keep polishing it (aluminum wheel polish)
to keep it looking shiny.

The metal is coated. If you polish it you'll just take off the coating in places. a full removal of the coating and then sand and polish is the only real answer and, it's fiddly work.

here's another suggestion or two: 1. take your keys out carefully as that's what scratched it in the first place and 2. buy a nice heavyweight shift knob :)

The metal is coated. If you polish it you'll just take off the coating in places. a full removal of the coating and then sand and polish is the only real answer and, it's fiddly work.

here's another suggestion or two: 1. take your keys out carefully as that's what scratched it in the first place and 2. buy a nice heavyweight shift knob :)
it wasn't my keys, it was the zipper on the GF's coat

Back