Shift knob + boot questions?

oouadani7

:
2000 Mazda Protege ES
Hello community;

Is there anybody out there with the knowledge on how to replace a shift boot in a 2000 Mazda Protege? I'm assuming it's a process similar across many car makes and models, but has any one on this forum done it before? I am simply looking to spice up the interior of my car with a differently colored shift boot, so that when I change my shift knob, it will match the rest of the interior (which is gray). Additionally, would anyone out there recommend a specific boot or knob? I just bought a knock-off MOMO Italy shifter on Amazon for $20, but despite it coming with 3 adapters, none fit the shift stick. Or maybe I was doing it wrong? Any knowledge is much appreciated!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a service manual? I have a pdf version that I downloaded, years ago. It does come in handy at times. Another possibility is the boot manufacturer/vendor. Sometimes they have procedures for installation. You may also be able to ask a dealership parts department person to show you an exploded (drawing) view of the shifter assembly.
Regarding shift knob thread size: Yours should be M10x1.25. When you buy a shifter knob it must be threaded to or have an adapter for that thread size.

Do you have a service manual? I have a pdf version that I downloaded, years ago. It does come in handy at times. Another possibility is the boot manufacturer/vendor. Sometimes they have procedures for installation. You may also be able to ask a dealership parts department person to show you an exploded (drawing) view of the shifter assembly.
Regarding shift knob thread size: Yours should be M10x1.25. When you buy a shifter knob it must be threaded to or have an adapter for that thread size.

I have the owners manual, but I not have the service manual (unless you are referring to the same thing). However, that's you provide some good ideas. Is it possible that you are willing to share the PDF?

Thanks for those dimensions. I actually just bought a shift knob from AutoZone without any knowledge of what I would need to fit, but knew that I could return it if didn't. After about 20 minutes, I managed to get it on, and it looks beautiful. Now, I'll use those tips your gave in order to find shift boot that'll fit. I'm looking for a black one with blue trim, to match my shift knob and the exterior.
4de4c4a65fc69a66b5e7ede487379e0b.jpg
64537d411dea004796f984e6a7c7e457.jpg

1st, pull up the e-brake. Now you can pop off the plastic surround that's around it. (you gotta have the e-brake engaged to be able to slip the plastic piece off.)
Now you can get a couple fingers under the plastic piece that surrounds the shifter. carefully pop it up, from back to front.
Now you can access the 4 bolts that hold the shift boot on.

Have fun! The miata, protege, rx8 and mazda3 all share the same shift-knob thread pitch, which is 10x1.25m

Thanks, you make it seem super simple. I plan on making a video on how to do it, once I figure it out myself, since there are none on YouTube detailing the process (there are videos for how to do it on the Miata, not sure how similar the overall process is).

Oouadai,
If you send me a Usb jump drive or sd card, I can copy it to it and send it back to you. IM me if you'd like to do this.
It's probably too big for email.

I have the owners manual, but I not have the service manual (unless you are referring to the same thing). However, that's you provide some good ideas. Is it possible that you are willing to share the PDF?

Thanks for those dimensions. I actually just bought a shift knob from AutoZone without any knowledge of what I would need to fit, but knew that I could return it if didn't. After about 20 minutes, I managed to get it on, and it looks beautiful. Now, I'll use those tips your gave in order to find shift boot that'll fit. I'm looking for a black one with blue trim, to match my shift knob and the exterior.
4de4c4a65fc69a66b5e7ede487379e0b.jpg
64537d411dea004796f984e6a7c7e457.jpg

Very nice!

Thank you. I would be interested in such a transaction. It must be a huge file!

Back