Shifitng problem

513yj

:
2002 protege
Hi all, I've got a 2002 protege with a 2.0 a/t. Recently I was pulling out onto the street and I shifted into low gear to get out and then back to drive. The O/D off light started blinking and it won't shift into 3rd or higher. There is no check engine light and I reset the ecu to stop the O/D light from flashing. I've found some things to check for but nobody had a similar problem with no check engine light like I had. Anyone else ever have a similar problem?

For one Protege owner....
It turned out to be the INPUT speed sensor. Its located on the top of the tranny and super easy to DIY (if your able to do it youself I'd recommend you do cuz a shop will probably tell you to bend over n buy a new tranny). I think the senor was around $35, sorry I dont remember which website I ordered from, and took about 5-10 minutes to switch out. Basically It tells the transmission when to shift based on your speed, when it failes the car goes into "limp mode" to prevent damage (which is why you only have low gear).

and for another....
i got it checked for the OBD codes and I replaced the TPS(Throttle positioning sensor). It worked out Great! Well, that was my fix for that problem. The TPS sensor is worht 140 Bucks but I got it at a junkyard for like 10.

Back