Service Bulletin FIX USB playback and SMS Bluetooth!!! NB1/TOMTOM ONLY ('12-15')

When I posted the TSB, I never expected it to fix iPOD USB playback. I assumed it was for MP3s off a USB Flash Drive.
The TSB also doesn't mention iPods, just music playback off USB.

I don't understand the reply. The doc jtcx5 posted says it does fix ipod usb playback resume (as long as your playing by artist/album/genre/all - not by playlist.) So, I'm asking if the playlist resume is fixed for USB playlists. (I quoted his message in my reply.)

My motive is simple: If resuming in a playlist works okay with a USB device, I can just reformat my iPod to look like a plain USB HDD, and use it that way. If that doesn't work, even a 64GB USB drive is pretty cheap to get the playlist resume support... IF that works.

Last edited:
I don't understand the reply. The doc jtcx5 posted says it does fix ipod usb playback resume (as long as your playing by artist/album/genre/all - not by playlist.) So, I'm asking if the playlist resume is fixed for USB playlists. (I quoted his message in my reply.)

My motive is simple: If resuming in a playlist works okay with a USB device, I can just reformat my iPod to look like a plain USB HDD, and use it that way. If that doesn't work, even a 64GB USB drive is pretty cheap to get the playlist resume support... IF that works.

I can confirm that playlists definitely resume where they left off on a USB flash drive with this update.

Edit: I just create playlists in Windows Media Player and make sure to save them as .m3u I think.

I can confirm that playlists definitely resume where they left off on a USB flash drive with this update.
That sounds great. Now if I can only get my dealership off their rear ends. It's amazing that the replacement module has supposedly been on backorder for them for over 2 weeks while other people have had the part ordered and replaced within 2 days (within the last two weeks.)

(No, I don't believe my dealership. I'm willing to bet that if I call them and say I want to do a overpriced lube job at the same time that the module will suddenly show up.)

Not sure about voice command improvements - one minor change which is negative in my opinion is that the pickup button no longer gets you to the voice dial menu. Instead, you to press the voice menu button which goes to the top level and you have to say "phone" first.

I briefly attempted receiving a text message today but the system did nothing. Not sure if I need further setup. I have an iPhone 6. I did have to re-pair after the dealer updates.

One other minor negative - if you were shuffling the USB stick before you stopped the car, when the song resumes, shuffle is disabled. It's amazing how this stuff gets by quality control.

I am attaching a scanned PDF of the printout that I received today which has a bit of information on text messaging.

If anyone else has more info please let us all know.

I went to the compatability site linked in the PDF. For the iphone 6 with ios8 it says song info is not displayed when connected over bluetooth? (X BT Audio - Displays song info) Can you confirm this?

See: http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree....rier_id=105&manufacturer_id=130&phone_id=4437

Before and after the update, I have always been able to see song info via BT with my iPhone 6.

Before and after the update, I have always been able to see song info via BT with my iPhone 6.

Great, I thought that was weird I had not heard about that - it would be a huge complaint. There were some issues with ios8 early adopters for the first few days, I wonder if this site info is based on that.

As I am not a big fan of my dealership's service department so I went ahead and filled out the customer service form on the Mazda handsfree site and asked them to pre-authorize replacement. While I didn't actually call my dealer first, it would be par for the course for them to require I bring the car in first to verify that the issue occurs. I wanted to head that off at the pass.

I will likely take the car in for this, and the other warranty issue I have (the button on the hand brake is pushed all the way into the body of the handbrake) and then take it back for the 30K service in a month or two when it actually hits 30K.

Last edited:
Warning in case anyone tries to get the TSB part ordered before they go in.... My dealership said they're supposed to review the issue and do some testing before ordering.
Sounds like they're purposely making this hard for people to get to avoid having to do it.. considering it's an issue on 100% of the systems I find this ridiculous. Sure if it was only some, then absolutely troubleshoot. Or troubleshoot WITH THE PART at the dealership already so they can put it in right away.

Luckily I set a reminder an called the day before my oil change to verify they had the part in, and that's when the manager told me they're not supposed to order first. Complained enough that they ordered it and rescheduled my service to be in line with the part delivery.

Can someone confirm two issues with new module :
1. When you connect phone via bt, did it try to download whole address book everytime? Can you setup it not to do it?
2. If anyone have android, can you download and read sms?

Maybe my English is not so good, but I think you understand me.

Before the iOS 8.3 update I could not shuffle songs with my iPhone 6 connected via USB. Now I can, although it still starts in alphabetical order with a restart before I hit shuffle.

I'm confused....

Does this update fix the playback issue with an ipod? Where it would restart every playlist from the beginning? can anyone who has this updated module confirm yes or no?

I understand it fixes this issue on USB thumb drives, correct?

I don't have an iphone so that part is irrelevant to me.

Can someone confirm two issues with new module :
1. When you connect phone via bt, did it try to download whole address book everytime? Can you setup it not to do it?
2. If anyone have android, can you download and read sms?

Maybe my English is not so good, but I think you understand me.

1. It does download the phonebook every time as far as I can tell.

2. I have Android version 4.4.2 and it can download and read sms to me.

I'm confused....

Does this update fix the playback issue with an ipod? Where it would restart every playlist from the beginning? can anyone who has this updated module confirm yes or no?

I understand it fixes this issue on USB thumb drives, correct?

I don't have an iphone so that part is irrelevant to me.

I'm not sure about the iPod portion but it fixes all of the issues with the USB thumbdrive. It takes much less time to start up when you first start the car and it also continues from where it left off, whether you are using a playlist or not.

Do you need to choose usb to continue playing or it simply start playing from USB when you start the engine?

Do you need to choose usb to continue playing or it simply start playing from USB when you start the engine?

If USB was the last thing you were listening to when the car was shut off that is where it will pick up again when you start the engine.

usb issue

contacted 3 kc area dealers 2 of them said tsb didn't exist and there was no recall on my vehicle 3rd said it was too early and tsb wasn't available yet to act on- really frustrating after contacting mazda hands free support they just said dealer should have same tsb as us and to just talk to dealer.. oh well will keep checking back with dealer to see when that might happen

Ugh, horrible experience so far with the dealership yesterday. I don't have the module swapped yet as they never bothered ordering the part, despite setting up an appointment and telling them the exact bulletin number & what my issue is with both Mazda support and the dealership. Waiting until either later today or tomorrow to get it done.

Latest posts

Back