Service Bulletin FIX USB playback and SMS Bluetooth!!! NB1/TOMTOM ONLY ('12-15')

I emailed dealer I had a Mazdahandsfree reference number earlier in the week. They got back to me today and told me they are ordering the part. It should be in Monday so will schedule an install appointment at that time.

With just 238 songs it only took about 30 seconds to load.

Same experience here. Since the BT module was replaced, it consistently takes 30 seconds only to load, regardless of the #songs! Here's a breakdown:

During the first 25 seconds after engine starts, the player apparently performs initialization and searches for nearby Bluetooth devices. During this time:
a. if you happen to be in the USB tab, you'll get this message: "Preparing for connection. Please wait..."
b. if you happen to be in the Bluetooth tab, you'll get this message: "Starting up Bluetooth hands free system. Please wait..."

Next, it starts loading the songs, displaying "USB Reading...", but only very briefly, for 2-3 seconds, after which it immediately plays the first song, while continuing to load the remaining songs in the background. Who cares how long the latter takes, if you're getting music already. (Note however that while loading the remaining songs in the background, the player does not respond to Shuffle button presses.)

Called Johnson Controls again about disabling BT, thus removing the 25 second startup delay, since I don't have BT devices anyway. Unfortunately can't be done. The fix is already a major improvement so I'm happy.

Been a while since I posted. Upgraded from a 2013 FWD (purchased august 2012) to a 2014 AWD last June. Didn't learn about this problem until after the upgrade. Saw the posts about the TSB, stopped in my dealer last Friday with a copy. They ordered the part, it was in by Tuesday and I went in yesterday afternoon to have it replaced. Resume works as it should, but the Shuffle is buggy. Need to tap the icon and wait for it to light up and it still isn't shuffling. It wasn't really working right pre-TSB fix. Haven't had much time to play around with it since yesterday, but I 'm going to check the file/folder structure on my flash drive. I may have played around with it when I first got the car to try and get the resume working. Someone may have mentioned Shuffle issues in this thread somewhere so I'll have to take a look.

I dont think head unit recognize any usb that is 3.0. Its for 2.0 only. Correct me if I am wrong

I'm using a USB 3.0 flash drive with about 2,800 songs on it. Works no problem.

Thx! The squeezing part turns out to be the biggest challenge.

My label reads:
ASM# same number as yours but REV.08
S/W Rev: 07.00.000
dated 2015/01/23

But the code at top right (AMB/Z/CTA/TA/2012/3/8) still contains the year 2012!

Interesting, seems like your module is newer than mine. I've confirmed that mine is working now, including the text messages, so I'm happy either way.

USB shuffle after TSB update

Been a while since I posted. Upgraded from a 2013 FWD (purchased august 2012) to a 2014 AWD last June. Didn't learn about this problem until after the upgrade. Saw the posts about the TSB, stopped in my dealer last Friday with a copy. They ordered the part, it was in by Tuesday and I went in yesterday afternoon to have it replaced. Resume works as it should, but the Shuffle is buggy. Need to tap the icon and wait for it to light up and it still isn't shuffling. It wasn't really working right pre-TSB fix. Haven't had much time to play around with it since yesterday, but I 'm going to check the file/folder structure on my flash drive. I may have played around with it when I first got the car to try and get the resume working. Someone may have mentioned Shuffle issues in this thread somewhere so I'll have to take a look.

USB/iPod shuffle works after everything loads. Whereas music plays after starting the car, the display reads 1/1. It takes about 5 minutes for the 16,000 songs on my iPod to load. The display then reads 1/16000 and both Shuffle & Repeat function and the icons appear on the respective buttons. It took me a while to figure this out (with the help of this forum). Until all the songs load, the buttons (although they do not appear grayed out) don't function.

USB/iPod shuffle works after everything loads. Whereas music plays after starting the car, the display reads 1/1. It takes about 5 minutes for the 16,000 songs on my iPod to load. The display then reads 1/16000 and both Shuffle & Repeat function and the icons appear on the respective buttons. It took me a while to figure this out (with the help of this forum). Until all the songs load, the buttons (although they do not appear grayed out) don't function.

I've got around 1800 songs on my flash drive. I'll be more patient when I try it this afternoon.

I'm using a USB 3.0 flash drive with about 2,800 songs on it. Works no problem.

Could you tell me the specific drive you are using including the size? I've tried reformatting my PNY 64 GB USB 3.0 to FAT32 once again, but no luck even with just 283 songs. I thought I'd read about other people having success with 64 GB drives, but that may have been on the 2013 model.

Does anyone know if the reconnecting bluetooth after leaving the car is any better? I find if I leave the car with my phone while the car is running (like in winter when starting my car to warm up then go back inside a bit) the phone does not reconnect automatically. I have to go to the phone menu and manually reconnect.

Is this any better now?

Could you tell me the specific drive you are using including the size? I've tried reformatting my PNY 64 GB USB 3.0 to FAT32 once again, but no luck even with just 283 songs. I thought I'd read about other people having success with 64 GB drives, but that may have been on the 2013 model.

This is the exact one that I bought: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk...lack/9211069.p?id=1219002587175&skuId=9211069

I have around 2,800 songs on it right now. All I did was open it from it's packaging, delete the encryption software from it and then paste all the music on and pop it in the car. I'm not sure if it being USB 3.0 made it any faster, but for $14 it was cheaper than some 2.0 options at the same size.

This is the exact one that I bought: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk...lack/9211069.p?id=1219002587175&skuId=9211069

I have around 2,800 songs on it right now. All I did was open it from it's packaging, delete the encryption software from it and then paste all the music on and pop it in the car. I'm not sure if it being USB 3.0 made it any faster, but for $14 it was cheaper than some 2.0 options at the same size.

Thanks. I'll give that one a try. Reading through reviews for USB flash drives there seems to be a lot of compatibility issues, particularly with car stereos. I doubt USB 3.0 makes it any faster on the CX-5 (since the port is USB 2.0), but I'd prefer USB 3.0 to speed up copying files on my computer. As you noticed, there's not much of a price difference these days between USB 2.0 & 3.0.

OP here.
My module has NOT been replaced yet, but wanted to answer a question someone had.

I have the Corsair USB 3.0 64GB flash drive and it WORKS JUST FINE formatted as FAT32 (need to use a formatting tool, Windows won't give you FAT32 option with 64GB).
This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Update: iPod no longer loads

Update: My iPod no longer loads. I get "Reading iPod" for about 5 minutes followed by "iPod Error". However if I switch my 16, 000 song iPod for my iPhone (with greater than 5000 songs) it works fine. The iPod initially worked great. Anyone know a solution for this?

OP here.
My module has NOT been replaced yet, but wanted to answer a question someone had.

I have the Corsair USB 3.0 64GB flash drive and it WORKS JUST FINE formatted as FAT32 (need to use a formatting tool, Windows won't give you FAT32 option with 64GB).
This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Happy to hear a 64 GB drive works. I suspect something is just plain screwed up with my PNY 64 GB drive. It works fine on my desktop machine, but I've been able to completely lock up my laptop multiple times just trying to write to it. Multiple reformat attempts using different formatting utilities did not help. Tried one of the 32 GB Sandisk drives Seminole linked to, and it works fine in my CX-5.

I called the dealership I go to service for, they hadn't heard about the TSB, but were willing to schedule me anyway. I've emailed them the TSB, they'll look it over and call me tomorrow.

So, I got the module installed on Friday. Here is what I am experiencing since the install so far:
My device is a 5th Gen iPod Nano 16GB.

- After shutting off the car and returning, the last song does start, showing track 1/1. No track information is displayed for the entirety of the track.
- All buttons are accessible was the track is playing (which is different than some others are experiencing)
- If I let the track play out, the very next track is 1637/1637, the last track alphabetically (which with the new module, track names starting with numbers are last instead of first like they were before the update). If, however, I hit Shuffle, the current track displays 1637/1637 along with the information from the last track alphabetically, even when that isn't the track that is playing.
- I'm starting to notice the new module has repeating shuffle patterns (with the old module, 8 out of every 10 shuffles would be in the same order)
- The unit cuts off the last 2 seconds of a track (still).

- I also have a iPod Classic 80GB. When I connect that, it will take over 10 minutes for it to load. I'm not sure exactly how long, as I reached my destination before it finished.

Last edited:
I called Mazda Handsfree and got a case number, it was easy and painless. Now the dealer, I am in Canada, claims Mazda Canada has not issued a TSB for this and they will not perform any work until a TSB is issued by Mazda Canada. I simply do not get it, it is however the final straw and this is the one and only Mazda I will own - it is not that the car is not a good car it is just the feeling that a customer is nothing to Mazda, they could completely care less about ANY type of service. It is like: "We got your money, now buzz off".

I called Mazda Handsfree and got a case number, it was easy and painless. Now the dealer, I am in Canada, claims Mazda Canada has not issued a TSB for this and they will not perform any work until a TSB is issued by Mazda Canada. I simply do not get it, it is however the final straw and this is the one and only Mazda I will own - it is not that the car is not a good car it is just the feeling that a customer is nothing to Mazda, they could completely care less about ANY type of service. It is like: "We got your money, now buzz off".

One thing to keep in mind. The dealership service center, although affiliated with Mazda, are really independent. The service center wants to get money for any work performed on a car. If they are at all unsure about warranty work they will not want to do it. For the main reason is that it cost them money to perform that work, they want to get paid. They do not want to charge Mazda for warranty work and get a charge back. Once you realize the service center wants money only and some service reps are assholes, I would leave this decision out of my algorithm to determine if I will buy a car again. If I do not like the service I will go to a different service center than where I bought the car. If you live in a rural area and this is not feasible, a call to Mazda Bluetooth hotline and a case number, will make things go smoother at the service center.

Good luck.

Yep, Ive been told the same by my dealership. Apparently, this fix has not been acknowledged yet by most dealers here .

Someone has to wake up Mazda Canada

- If I let the track play out, the very next track is 1637/1637, the last track alphabetically (which with the new module, track names starting with numbers are last instead of first like they were before the update).
Wait, what? Unless I'm understanding this wrong, it would seem the "resume" issue still isn't fixed if it just finishes the last song being played (good) but then the next track is the last track on the device (bad)?

Latest posts

Back