Service Bulletin FIX USB playback and SMS Bluetooth!!! NB1/TOMTOM ONLY ('12-15')

The problem I have with my 2016 GT using a USB stick, is that every time I get in the car and plug it in, it always plays "The Police - Roxanne"! I have about 300 albums on this USB stick and when plugged into a PC they are all arranged by artist (alphabetically) and then the subfolders are the albums by that artist.

I could understand if it would start with the first album (which incidentally is: 10,000 Maniacs), but it chooses to start with the Police, every single time. And sometimes when I am in the middle of a song and shut the car off and come back the song will pick up where it left off and other times it's like it has rebooted and starts playing the Police again.

Mike

This thread is for pre-2016 head units which are totally different than the 2016 and on.

Just found this out, my current '14 CX5 GT shows software version of 06.01.000, so I think I'm eligible for a replacement? Thing is, my car is 3+yrs/45k+ miles, does this mean I'm SOL since it's out of bumper-to-bumper warranty?

Just found this out, my current '14 CX5 GT shows software version of 06.01.000, so I think I'm eligible for a replacement? Thing is, my car is 3+yrs/45k+ miles, does this mean I'm SOL since it's out of bumper-to-bumper warranty?

More than likely unless you had a service visit during the 3/36 for this issue before the improved module came out

just checked record, had a visit(oil/rotation) in december 2015(less than 3yr) but odo reads 37xxx... so I'm SOL?

You can always ask...but it would likely have to be a service visit related to the BT module itself. For example... I have a squeaky power door lock actuator. I took into dealer and they said there wasn't a really good fix. I go past my 3/36 warranty and it fails. There stands a good chance they will still fix it as there is probable cause that it was failing during the warranty period.

You can always ask...but it would likely have to be a service visit related to the BT module itself. For example... I have a squeaky power door lock actuator. I took into dealer and they said there wasn't a really good fix. I go past my 3/36 warranty and it fails. There stands a good chance they will still fix it as there is probable cause that it was failing during the warranty period.

just called dealer(not the one I bought from, but the closest one), going in Monday 8AM. we'll see...

I am out of warranty (56,000miles). How can I get this replaced? Obviously it's super easy to swap out, but how could I get my hands on one of the new units?

Just wanted to post an update/PSA for 14/15 owners..... Took my two week old 2014 to the local Mazda/VW dealer and asked them to replace the BT module as per the TSB. They took my car for 30 mins or so to 'verify' my claims of text/shuffle issues. Told me the module would arrive in a few days.

Fast forward to today, I bring my car in to the service dept. Two hours later, they come out and say the module was replaced but they cant get text messages to work with any iPhone they have (6/6s, iOS9/10) but Android all work. Said they called Mazda and were told iPhone is not supported due to Apple changes. I called BS, showed the TSB and said it specifically mentions iPhone, but realized he wasn't going to be of any more help. Said thanks and went on my way.

Started messing with it a bit when I got back in the car, and realized the error (and thus my reason for posting). After you setup the BT connection on your iPhone, you MUST go back into the settings for the Mazda connection and enable the 'Show Notifications' button. Once that is done, the phone will now send new texts to your radio. After this setting was changed, I was able to view/download to the stereo and have the text read to me. Works great.

As far as I have seen, nowhere does any documentation mention the 'Show Notifications' config steps when using an iPhone, thus my reason for posting here.

Also, the shuffle function now works successfully bi-directionally as intended. Shuffle/skip on phone works as you would expect as well as pressing shuffle/skip via the head unit.

Just wanted to post an update/PSA for 14/15 owners..... Took my two week old 2014 to the local Mazda/VW dealer and asked them to replace the BT module as per the TSB. They took my car for 30 mins or so to 'verify' my claims of text/shuffle issues. Told me the module would arrive in a few days.

Fast forward to today, I bring my car in to the service dept. Two hours later, they come out and say the module was replaced but they cant get text messages to work with any iPhone they have (6/6s, iOS9/10) but Android all work. Said they called Mazda and were told iPhone is not supported due to Apple changes. I called BS, showed the TSB and said it specifically mentions iPhone, but realized he wasn't going to be of any more help. Said thanks and went on my way.

Started messing with it a bit when I got back in the car, and realized the error (and thus my reason for posting). After you setup the BT connection on your iPhone, you MUST go back into the settings for the Mazda connection and enable the 'Show Notifications' button. Once that is done, the phone will now send new texts to your radio. After this setting was changed, I was able to view/download to the stereo and have the text read to me. Works great.

As far as I have seen, nowhere does any documentation mention the 'Show Notifications' config steps when using an iPhone, thus my reason for posting here.

Also, the shuffle function now works successfully bi-directionally as intended. Shuffle/skip on phone works as you would expect as well as pressing shuffle/skip via the head unit.

What is the software version?

I had the module and software update when it first came out and the shuffle does not work via the head unit only via voice command.

What is the software version?

I had the module and software update when it first came out and the shuffle does not work via the head unit only via voice command.

It shows as 7.0.something when you go into the service menu to view.

For reference, I have an iPhone 6s on iOS 10.1 and 10.2 and both work good when playing via Bluetooth, Pandora, or Text.

Hello

I just bouth a 2014 CX5 and learned about this problem...

Does this apply internationally?? Since I'm from Chile, could I just take my car to the dealership and ask for an updated module?

Thanks!! Awesome forum!! Looking forward to it.

Hello

I just bouth a 2014 CX5 and learned about this problem...

Does this apply internationally?? Since I'm from Chile, could I just take my car to the dealership and ask for an updated module?

Thanks!! Awesome forum!! Looking forward to it.

First, verify the version:

Turn radio on, then hold power and seek buttons simultaneously, then enter code 38.

This should show you the firmware version. 7.* is the new one. Turn radio off to get out of mode.

If your version is 7 or higher, you should be good. If not, you will need a new module (not sure whether you can get Mazda to replace under warranty, but I'd certainly try).

First, verify the version:

Turn radio on, then hold power and seek buttons simultaneously, then enter code 38.

This should show you the firmware version. 7.* is the new one. Turn radio off to get out of mode.

If your version is 7 or higher, you should be good. If not, you will need a new module (not sure whether you can get Mazda to replace under warranty, but I'd certainly try).

Thanks a lot, I will give it a try.

Is there no way for us to update this information ourselves? My dealer has been less than forthcoming with any updates and I have to fight them for every change and since my car has now over 70k km on it (but was always serviced at the same dealer) I know what they are going to say: Pay up buddy, we ain't doing this for free.

Is there no way for us to update this information ourselves? My dealer has been less than forthcoming with any updates and I have to fight them for every change and since my car has now over 70k km on it (but was always serviced at the same dealer) I know what they are going to say: Pay up buddy, we ain't doing this for free.

Unfortunately, probably not. It is a hardware swap (different circuitry) and obtaining the hardware requires getting it through Mazda corporate service channels. IIRC, they also ask the dealer to ship the old part somewhere - it probably gets updated and refurbished for others to use. You could contact Mazda and see if they'll goodwill the replacement.

Last edited:
The problem I am having with the new module is that I can not turn on shuffle play when using bluetooth. I can tap the button but it goes right off. Even if it is on before entering the car, it goes off.

does anyone else have the shuffle problem while using bluetooth? Using IOS9 if I hit the shuffle icon on the phone or tell Siri to shuffle noting happens. The icon on the phone does not stay on, even if it was on before starting the car. This is with the updated module.

Hey all. I have a 6, not a cx5, but this seems the best thread for this topic! Yes, we are most definitely having this issue with my families iphones. I have a Google Pixel and everything works fine with it, including sms messages. But the only thing bugging my wife is that her phone won't shuffle, not from the phone, the head unit, and I can't find any way to make it shuffle via voice commands. I'm feeling the grief 'cause we just bought this car and I talked her into spending as much as we did and she's not a happy camper with this not working. We always listen to music via bluetooth in this car.

I'm going to ring the local dealer on Tuesday, as there is still 6 months of manufacturers warranty left with it. The units id is 6.03 something, definitely not a 7. Out of interest sake I connected all 3 iphones via usb to see what happens.

When connected by bluetooth, if you hit shuffle on the iphones it blinks on then straight off. It'll skip to a new track straight away but will play them in the order of the playlist with no shuffle.
When I connected them by usb, it'll allow me to turn the shuffle on, but as soon as the first song finishes it starts skipping track every second, rather than just playing the next track. Just on and on and on.

I'm in Australia, so I'll be interested to see what the response is!

And while my wife hated how much we spent, she's said that she is so erked by this all that she would replace the whole unit with a 3rd party system (something with carplay/android auto built in) if we can't get even just the shuffle when connected via bluetooth working!!

Last edited:
Back