Separate pages for 1st and 2nd gen CX-5?

I think maybe a 2017+ infotainment etc section would be sufficient

A good idea. There is a distinct line of demarcation between the 2017 and the previous models regarding the infotainment in that there will no longer be headunit swaps. I could see where separation there would be beneficial for both owners of the new and old versions.

But the software is the same. I don't see the point here either. If someone starts a thread about replacing the headunit I think most of you will know... They aren't talking about a 17.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

But the software is the same. I don't see the point here either. If someone starts a thread about replacing the headunit I think most of you will know... They aren't talking about a 17.

I don't disagree with you, but some of the '17 owners likely don't want to filter through the legacy chaff. I have seen this on other vehicle forums.

Same as a thread about rear ac, or rear heated and reclining seats, or power hatch, or memory drivers seat, or power passenger seat, or auto high beams, or heated steering wheel, or wiper deicer, or radar adaptive cruise to stop, or quiet interior, etc...It would be obvious they were talking about a 17.:)

I think it is plainly logical to have separate section for 16 model and 17 model. Lots of changes between two that has been mentioned many times so far by many different people. I just don't understand the push back against it. I personally have a 16.5 and 17 is nicer overall and I am a little jealous and should have waited a little longer etc. I understand 16 model owners like to think 17 is the same as 16 but it is not. Both has pros and cons blah blah.

Please let it go and separate it out so that it is easier to find information for each model year.

God bless and God bless USA.
(usa)

I think it is plainly logical to have separate section for 16 model and 17 model. Lots of changes between two that has been mentioned many times so far by many different people. I just don't understand the push back against it. I personally have a 16.5 and 17 is nicer overall and I am a little jealous and should have waited a little longer etc. I understand 16 model owners like to think 17 is the same as 16 but it is not. Both has pros and cons blah blah.

Please let it go and separate it out so that it is easier to find information for each model year.

God bless and God bless USA.
(usa)

Or, like another site I was on, the newer generation owners split off and formed a new forum.

LOL. I thought it was "no, marks your posts better".

It makes no difference to me. I enjoy reading all the threads/posts here.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

I've still never gotten an answer for the seperationists about how they want to split. Do you want 5 forums like all the other makes?
Or just one extra forum just for the 17's? Either way, I think both ideas are dumb and I will try to make my point one final time.
5 Sub forums is a ridiculous idea.
So we should have 2 CX-5 Lounges? I mean, that just sounds dumb, doesn't it? Personally, I think every lounge should be removed (merged?) and we should be forced to rub elbows in one lounge with the CX-9, 3 and 6 owners. I do not understand, Antoine, why every forum has its own lounge. This totally promotes fragmentation. Anyway, not the topic.
CX-5 Audio: So you have tweeters in the A pillar and a subwoofer... and you want a dedicated forum to the 17? Oh, and your "radio" sticks out of the dash. NEW FORUM!?!
Accessories and Appearance: Ok, yes, there are some accessories we OG owners have that you NG owners don't, and some you do, that we don't. Enough to warrant its own forum? Is your cargo matt really that much different then ours? (Yes, because you don't get a rubber one. WTF Mazda). Is there any accessory that is so different?
Wheels, tires, brakes, suspension: The 2nd least visited thread in every forum. OK... You have different rims and tires. Ok. And brakes are brakes are brakes, let's be honest. And the suspension? Yea, your's is different. Better to some folks, I'll concede that. But just think about it rationally.... what kind of question might a 17 owner have there that would be different then a 15 owner? I encourage you to go to that forum right now and find any post in there.. just one... that could not also be applied to a 17. (Actually I did fine one: Lowering springs for the 17. One. Post.)
Engine & Tranny: As stated in the Press Release from Mazda: the 17 has a thingy on the piston to help keep them lubed. The tranny was also slightly changed. Think any 17 owners are going to have any piston issues that they want help with? Is the tranny that ridiculously different that you 17's are going to have some incredibly weird issue that we aren't aware of?
How-to's: The forum with the least posts... easily solve any issues by putting 2017 in the title.

My proposal: Can we table this discussion for a few more months? Do we have to make a decision RIGHT NOW? The car has been out barely what? 3 months? and you're rioting already for a separate forum? Let's wait and see if it does become a hot mess like the seperationists are afraid of. Or that it's going to be hard to find stuff. There IS a search feature. and it works.

Last edited:
But it will make a difference. Are you going to check both CX5 lounges? Both CX5 engine threads? Or will you get tired of that eventually and just stick to your own forum?
We are stronger together (knowledgeable) then we are separated.

If changes occur then I'm fine. If changes don't occur then I'm fine.

I've still never gotten an answer for the seperationists about how they want to split. Do you want 5 forums like all the other makes?
Or just one extra forum just for the 17's? Either way, I think both ideas are dumb and I will try to make my point one final time.
5 Sub forums is a ridiculous idea.
So we should have 2 CX-5 Lounges? I mean, that just sounds dumb, doesn't it? Personally, I think every lounge should be removed (merged?) and we should be forced to rub elbows in one lounge with the CX-9, 3 and 6 owners. I do not understand, Antoine, why every forum has its own lounge. This totally promotes fragmentation. Anyway, not the topic.
CX-5 Audio: So you have tweeters in the A pillar and a subwoofer... and you want a dedicated forum to the 17? Oh, and your "radio" sticks out of the dash. NEW FORUM!?!
Accessories and Appearance: Ok, yes, there are some accessories we OG owners have that you NG owners don't, and some you do, that we don't. Enough to warrant its own forum? Is your cargo matt really that much different then ours? (Yes, because you don't get a rubber one. WTF Mazda). Is there any accessory that is so different?
Wheels, tires, brakes, suspension: The 2nd least visited thread in every forum. OK... You have different rims and tires. Ok. And brakes are brakes are brakes, let's be honest. And the suspension? Yea, your's is different. Better to some folks, I'll concede that. But just think about it rationally.... what kind of question might a 17 owner have there that would be different then a 15 owner? I encourage you to go to that forum right now and find any post in there.. just one... that could not also be applied to a 17. (Actually I did fine one: Lowering springs for the 17. One. Post.)
Engine & Tranny: As stated in the Press Release from Mazda: the 17 has a thingy on the piston to help keep them lubed. The tranny was also slightly changed. Think any 17 owners are going to have any piston issues that they want help with? Is the tranny that ridiculously different that you 17's are going to have some incredibly weird issue that we aren't aware of?
How-to's: The forum with the least posts... easily solve any issues by putting 2017 in the title.

My proposal: Can we table this discussion for a few more months? Do we have to make a decision RIGHT NOW? The car has been out barely what? 3 months? and you're rioting already for a separate forum? Let's wait and see if it does become a hot mess like the seperationists are afraid of. Or that it's going to be hard to find stuff. There IS a search feature. and it works.
I agree with you. But I have to say our search function really sucks!

We are stronger together (knowledgeable) than we are separated.

In my experience, this is very true!

I agree with you. But I have to say our search function really sucks!

Are you referring to the default search function or the Google search bar at the top? I do agree that our default search function (which is offered by the platform we use) isn't ideal. Please elaborate if possible (a bit off topic but related), thanks!

So I've been monitoring this thread and letting it "marinate"...At this point, I think we should keep this topic open and in the meantime, be more diligent about including the appropriate model year in our thread titles...I think that it would definitely improve the experience in all our CX-5 forums...As this new Second Gen ages (or when a third gen comes), it may become very clear that we need to expand the CX-5 section...We'll see! :D

⋯ Are you referring to the default search function or the Google search bar at the top? I do agree that our default search function (which is offered by the platform we use) isn't ideal. Please elaborate if possible (a bit off topic but related), thanks!
Yes I was referring to the default search function on top right of the page. The return of the search is listed with whole thread and it's impossible to find the exact post if the thread is long. I've tried to use Advanced Search and give more info but the results are even worse, most of time nothing returned.

I'm with other car forums such as PassatWorld and its default search looks very similar to ours. Although it's not as good as Google search but the Advanced Search works much better than ours by giving more info for search criteria.

in the meantime, be more diligent about including the appropriate model year in our thread titles...I think that it would definitely improve the experience in all our CX-5 forums

My thoughts exactly, it would be a good habit to get into and is an acceptable compromise:D

Latest posts

Back