selecting a new turbo.

turbo on my msp is shot... so now i am faced with decisions: nicer turbo, internal/external wastegate. but as far as sizes trims and everything else i am a noob when it comes to turbos. im thinking if i can get the obx header off ebay and get an external wastegate with an external wastegate capable turbo also an ebay turbo. any comments and advice/pointers would be appreciated. thank you much!

I'd just say you get what you pay for... Some of those eBay china chargers no names they don't last very long before they need a rebuild like around 15,000 - 20,000 miles tops they just arent made very well.. And I'd say the obx manifold may last a year before it starts cracking too... It would be a low cost solution to get the car back on the road for now but I would think longevity if you plan on keeping the car. As far as external wastegates it's been said there isn't much beneficial to using them tho they sound cool and look good... Not much performance value. I've heard of people buying that Obx manifold and before installing it bringing it to a welding shop to have the welds strengthened to make it last longer.

Don't get the obx manifold. It uses one cylinder to regulate pressure when you need the watergate to be on the collector of the manifold. I have that manifold and had nothing but trouble with my boost pressure. You can find used oem turbod for under 300 bucks and replace all the gaskets along with it then you should be good to go.
Stay away from eBay turbos. Again I'm speaking from experience as I just recently did a motor swap :/

I would add to that you wouldn't want to go bigger turbo unless you had some engine management and forged internals. There is alot to think about when your trying to upgrade. I have a spare garrett t25 in my trunk that I'm not gonna use if you decide you want the same turbo you can message me

Thanks for the input! i do like the idea of having an external wastegate, but you cant beat quality oem parts. as far upgrading to a bigger turbo i have no need, i believe (with an adjustable wastegate) correct me if im wrong, the stock garret t25 turbo will push 13 psi. all i want is to get my speed out back on the road and ridin again. And Macabe please explain more as to why ebay turbos are bad? I'm always open to new information... So from this i believe ill stick with internal wastegate. Also 15 to 20,000 miles would be great for me in a turbo, enough time to save up for a quality turbo and install later on.

New ebay turbos are not bad, the only things that go bad are the seals in them, which can be bough for 35-50 bucks. The only difference is they're journal bearing which is older style setup. But my little journal bearing turbo sees 18 psi everyday. Just make sure it has the fitting to reduce oil pressure as that is what blows the seals out.

Internal waste gate is fine for stock setup, you don't need to go with an external unless you go with a bigger turbo

Steed speed T3 manifold is external but that will usually also force you into a GT30 sized tuturbo.

There is nothing wrong with internal WG

It's called vband, and will need a custom down pipe, there is no point in you having a t3 turbo as you won't be able to run enough boost to get it in its efficiency range and you will actually lose power, I see it all the time with Honda people thinking bigger is better when they're only running 8 psi, when the switch to a t28 they usually gain 5-20 whp depending on their setup

You can use a t25 meant for the Nissan sr20 I think you will need to clock the turbo and have it re balanced but you can get the turbo off eBay for 150-250 and its 35-50 to get it balanced

before u get into buying a new turbo, why dont u try rebuilding it, its not the hardest job, their is some good tutorials on yt. and it seems like the stock turbo is the perfect turbo for this car.

yes the ball bearing turbos cannot be rebuilt. im buying jareds turbo too, hopefully all goes well. having new valve guide seals installed and head ported and polished, we'll see what the guy says when i take the head in today :)

yes the ball bearing turbos cannot be rebuilt. im buying jareds turbo too, hopefully all goes well. having new valve guide seals installed and head ported and polished, we'll see what the guy says when i take the head in today :)

my name says it all....

update... got the head off and i have oil all over my butterflies in the intake possibly from bad valves? k i also have a question, i dont believe the pistons are factory unless, the factory pistons are dished/bowl like and have four valve reliefs. kinda a goldish color.

Does anyone know the average life span of our valve seals with spirited driving? Has any one changed them more than once because they had to? And not just for giggles

Does anyone know the average life span of our valve seals with spirited driving? Has any one changed them more than once because they had to? And not just for giggles

The driving style does not make them go..

Poor Maintenence and Bad Luck...

Back