seized right rear e brake cable

davemsc

:
mazda protege5
Hey guys and gals,

I was told I have a seized right rear e brake cable on my 2002 p5. He said the left side works but the right doesn't move and doesn't engage at all. I do have to pull the handle pretty high up for it to hold (it isn't holding well).

Is there a way to loosen that rear cable or does a new one have to be purchased?
The car just was looked at for the safety inspection adn this is one of the issues.

thanks,
Dave

It's not an emergency brake cable... It's a parking brake cable...
You need to park your car safely.

Rock auto's price.

It's not an emergency brake cable... It's a parking brake cable...
You need to park your car safely.

Rock auto's price.

Thanks for that.

The dealer wants a crazy amount for the right rear cable.

I'm really on the fence as to fix this thing up or cut my losses. Both set of tires will be toast next summer, and the front pipe is about to go. PLUS the $800 or so to get the thing on the road.
Tough call.

The dealer is going to charge you a lot more money for any work.... Try to find a new mechanic.

Any car is going to cost money for things like tires and exhaust... $800 may not go too far towards buying a different car... You can get used tires for quite cheap.

But... If you have rust eating through your floorboards and your frame rails are dissolving, then it may be smart to just let the car go.

My front pipe already let go... The flanges rusted through and broke off... I'm calling mine fixed !!!

Rock Auto has the front pipe too...

There will be tax and $30-$40 shipping as well.

The dealer is going to charge you a lot more money for any work.... Try to find a new mechanic.

Any car is going to cost money for things like tires and exhaust... $800 may not go too far towards buying a different car... You can get used tires for quite cheap.

But... If you have rust eating through your floorboards and your frame rails are dissolving, then it may be smart to just let the car go.

My front pipe already let go... The flanges rusted through and broke off... I'm calling mine fixed !!!

smart man!

It's a tough call....
The timing belt interval is coming up in the next year (every 96,000km), the wheel wells are disintegrating (I have to patch up a fist sized hole in the rear wheel well for MVI), The motor mounts are shot, like I said the front pipe is gonna go soon, and then the $800 for MVI. In one year, all tires for it will be bald so there is another expense.

All that being said, it isn't too bad underneath, but I'm thinking it might be better to jump ship now. Trust me, I don't want to - I love these cars. I had one before and when the chance came up, I bought this one.

It's a tough call....
The timing belt interval is coming up in the next year (every 96,000km), the wheel wells are disintegrating (I have to patch up a fist sized hole in the rear wheel well for MVI), The motor mounts are shot, like I said the front pipe is gonna go soon, and then the $800 for MVI. In one year, all tires for it will be bald so there is another expense.

All that being said, it isn't too bad underneath, but I'm thinking it might be better to jump ship now. Trust me, I don't want to - I love these cars. I had one before and when the chance came up, I bought this one.

Did you ever end up patching the rust? I need to do mine soon and am trying to figure out what the best plan of attack is. :/

Back