Seats need adjusting every day

:
2016 CX5 GT
Is it just me or do the seats move overnight? Every single day I feel like the seat is tilted back and I have to move it up so I can lean back in my seat. By now since I’m adjusting it every day you would think I would be at a 45 degree angle face planted in the gauge cluster! But every day it’s just a minor adjustment.

Do the seats recline back an inch when you get out, maybe a convenience feature to help get in or out easier in some way?

2016 GT.

I almost didn't answer because I assume you were a 17 or 18. Then I saw the end: 2016.

2016 here.
No. Never. Always where I left it. Odd.

I almost didn't answer because I assume you were a 17 or 18. Then I saw the end: 2016.

2016 here.
No. Never. Always where I left it. Odd.

Seats in my 2018 remain in the same position where I've left them.

To the OP...... Manual or electric adjustment? Memory seats?

Right, but you have memory seats and since I don't I am not qualified to help an 18 owner. That's what I meant by that.

I can answer that question for OP: electric, no memory on 16 USA GT.

Is it just me or do the seats move overnight? Every single day I feel like the seat is tilted back and I have to move it up so I can lean back in my seat. By now since Im adjusting it every day you would think I would be at a 45 degree angle face planted in the gauge cluster! But every day its just a minor adjustment.

Do the seats recline back an inch when you get out, maybe a convenience feature to help get in or out easier in some way?

2016 GT.
No, that's definitely not the case for your 2016 CX-5 GT. It's not your imagination and I've seen several were complaining similar issues here before. Here're a couple of related TSBs I found for the problem:

TSB 09-020-13 SEATS:FRONT ASSEMBLY:RECLINER

TSB 09-024/17 - DRIVER SEAT GRADUALLY MOVES DOWN BY ITSELF

Now I only hope your 2016 CX-5 still has new-car warranty ⋯

Those TSB’s state without power seats. I have power seats. I have no idea how one would change the keyfob programming to alter the seats.

Those TSB’s state without power seats. I have power seats. I have no idea how one would change the keyfob programming to alter the seats.

Well, the first one does not exclude power seats but suggests that you may be accidentally reclining when you exit the vehicle. Any possibility of that?

Read carefully. The 1st TSB does related to power seat but blaming on driver error - you accidentally touched reclining switch each time you exit the vehicle. The 2nd TSB indicates some problem on reclining mechanism which is under-designed and can't handle driver's weight. But your power seat may have similar issue, but just not enough from customer's complaints to issue a TSB. These TSBs simply indicate there're enough complaints like yours hence MNAO have to issue them.

Your 2016 US CX-5 GT doesn't have memory seat. Those discussions on key fob is related to memory seat.

You should take your CX-5 to Mazda dealer to get it fixed. It's not normal.

Last edited:
I also have a 2016 GT with a power drivers seat (no memory, it wasn't available in the US that year) and I haven't needed to readjust mine in months.

The switch that controls that is spring loaded in either direction with the centered position being off. If it's not getting inadvertently bumped, I'd suspect it's somehow failing. I'd let the dealer know about it before the warranty runs out.

Where do you leave the key? I only mention this because when my wife was young and living with her parents, their little MG was always low on gas. Turns out some neighborhood kid was sneaking into their garage and taking the car for a joy ride almost every night... (drive2)

That or someone is changing the seat every night just to mess with you. (confused)

For cars that I've driven that have power seats, if they move to help you get out, they move back when you power on the car. That can't be it. Plus you'd feel it move as you get out.

But anyway, sorry I have an 18, no power seats, no weird seat issues other than not broken in yet.

Ugh, I just took note how I get in the car. My leg is tapping the button briefly. It’s my fault!

The button sticks out and is high so it’s easy to bump. The car also allows adjustment when the ignition is off so a slight bump getting in or out will do it.

Ugh, I just took note how I get in the car. My leg is tapping the button briefly. It’s my fault!

The button sticks out and is high so it’s easy to bump. The car also allows adjustment when the ignition is off so a slight bump getting in or out will do it.

Well, it is nice to see that the TSB actually provides useful information!

Yeah it’s amazing you don’t pay attention to these details until you start bouncing around the question with others. Yes the TSB is useful. Glad it’s me and I don’t have to waste time with the dealer.

Back