Seat belt won’t retract…Help

While driving to Dallas, I hear what sounds like the paper towel dispenser in public bathrooms go off over my left shoulder. Then I felt my seatbelt loosen up. I pulled it to make it tighter and the complete seatbelt came out. It will not go back in. While searching for answers, all I came up with is how to clean it. Has anyone ever heard of this and if so, how do I get the seatbelt to retract?? Thanks in advance!

What year is your CX-9? If it's still within the warranty period, you can try visiting a local Mazda dealership to see if they can assist.

It’s a 2014. Spoke with the dealers and they have never heard of this happening?

Yeah, this is a first for me as well. Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in, but in the meantime, you could try visiting an independent shop to see if they can fix the issue for you.

It looks like you may need a new seatbelt retractors. I don’t know if you can only replace the retractor or if you need to replace the entire seatbelt. The issue with dealers is that they don’t do a lot of work on older vehicles and may not be familiar with problems that arise with older car. But still if the part exist they should know about it.

You probably need something like this: 2013 Mazda CX-9 Seat Belt Lap and Shoulder Belt (Left - TDY157L90B75 | Jim Ellis Mazda Parts, Marietta GA

But yes you should act soon as it obviously isn’t really safe that way.

Yep, it looks like a $300 belt & retractor assembly. Or check a wrecking yard web site.

I have a 2015 CX-9 that experienced the exact same thing this afternoon as the OP. I’m assuming this is a part that I can replace, but just wanted to get feedback/confirmation. Is there only one part that will fix the issue? It was referenced above, and is expensive as heck.

Thanks!

I have a 2015 CX-9 that experienced the exact same thing this afternoon as the OP. I’m assuming this is a part that I can replace, but just wanted to get feedback/confirmation. Is there only one part that will fix the issue? It was referenced above, and is expensive as heck.

Thanks!

I don't think Kathy's been back to confirm what the repair was, but safe to assume it was that part. You can try pricing it out used on eBay, or you can visit a wrecker and pull the part yourself. It won't be new and you'll have to pull it yourself, but it should be a lot cheaper.

I don't think Kathy's been back to confirm what the repair was, but safe to assume it was that part. You can try pricing it out used on eBay, or you can visit a wrecker and pull the part yourself. It won't be new and you'll have to pull it yourself, but it should be a lot cheaper.
Thanks for the reply. I’ll be spending today trying to track down the part!

I was under the impression seatbelts are lifetime warranty. I would take it to a dealer before buying the part.

Back