seat belt extender

flatfoot

Just a thought I had. With my other two vehicles, when my wife was late into her pregnancy, we ordered from the dealer seat belt extenders for her, and received them at no charge, both for our dodge van and toyota. I am not sure if no charge is state law where I live.
Just planning ahead. Does mazda make available seat belt extenders for the mazda 5.
My wife carries kind of large for such a small gal, and she would really need the extra few inches to feel comfortable.
Anyone know with Mazda?

Stay safe

Hmm, I thought on a pregnant mother, the shoulder belt goes above the hump and the lap belt goes below... accross the pelvis. Wouldn't this mean the required dimensions would be about the same since it's not going directly over the baby bump?

I'd be interested to know this too, as my wife is 3 months pregnant with our first kid, the belly is coming soon! :p

jandree22 said:
Hmm, I thought on a pregnant mother, the shoulder belt goes above the hump and the lap belt goes below... accross the pelvis. Wouldn't this mean the required dimensions would be about the same since it's not going directly over the baby bump?

I'd be interested to know this too, as my wife is 3 months pregnant with our first kid, the belly is coming soon! :p

You are correct, for most average sized adults, seat belt extenders should not be neccessary on a pregnant woman, even late into the 3rd trimester. We got our 5 in Mid June, and my wife had no issue with the stock seat belts all the way to delivery on Sept 6th.

You have plenty of time if She's just 3 months (congrats) So far the onlydown side to the seating arragnment in the 5 is with 5 kids (1 2.5 year old and 1 new born) Wife ends up sitting in the third row on long trips so that she can care for the newboard as the need arrises. Make sure she's cimfy back there!!!

We got our 5 when my wife was 5 months pregnant with Peter. She didn't have a lick of trouble with the seatbelts, even on the way to the hospital after her water broke back in February.

However, the sharp handling/stiff ride of the 5 was a factor on the trip to the hospital after the water broke. There wasn't anymore water cushioning the baby and the stiff ride did make my wife miserable during the drive.

heh, thanks for all those lovely details I have to look forward to wuster (lol2)

Our 5 is actually the softer of our two cars, thankfully the hospital's only a mile away :)

Yeah, watch out for them speed bumps/humps in the hospital parking lot.

When you get closer to the due date, keep a garbage bag and three or four bath towels in the car. You'd be suprised how much water there is... :)

jandree22 said:
Yeah, I was actually thinking maybe that's a good idea.. (ughdance)

not to be grose but it all depends on where the break is top or bottom.

bottom, most of it's gone by the time you get into the car!
Top, leaks forever!!

I've been through both. Bottom is better! Less mess in the car. I suggest you get a small tarp and like was already said, 3 or 4 towels (or 1 big bath sheet)

Congrats btw on the coming addition to the family! You'll never sleep again!!!

:)

congrats everyone on being parents to be.

I'm also gonna be a dad, wifey is 3 days over due, her due date was OCt 15th.

Right now we have my Pro5, but i'll be trading that it soon after the baby is born. will ge going for the Mazda 5

We plan to put the baby seat behind me (the driver) i'm about average height, 5' 10" ish. will there be enough room for the baby seat behind me, and for me to be comfy. The mrs, is 6 feet tall, so no for behind her seat.

thanks.

Evilpro5eh said:
congrats everyone on being parents to be.

I'm also gonna be a dad, wifey is 3 days over due, her due date was OCt 15th.

Right now we have my Pro5, but i'll be trading that it soon after the baby is born. will ge going for the Mazda 5

We plan to put the baby seat behind me (the driver) i'm about average height, 5' 10" ish. will there be enough room for the baby seat behind me, and for me to be comfy. The mrs, is 6 feet tall, so no for behind her seat.

thanks.

I'm 5'10 and I have no issue with the infant seat being behind me. IN fact we have her seat behind me and my 2.5 year old behind the passenger seat. I discovered recently that I am driving with the drivers seat as far back on the track as it will go. I'd hate to be 6 foot or over and try to drive a 5, just not going to happen comfortably!

Wow 3 days over due, both my kids were early 2 weeks for the second and 4 for the first! Good luck on the delivery!

You should NEVER need a seatbelt extender during pregnancy. The belt is made to fit on the lap, under the belly and over the hip bones.
To go over the stomach would cause serious damage.All carseats fit FABULOUSLY in the second row, no problems with the front seat.
BTW- a simple Chux pad, available at the pharmacy in the sanitary product isle would be great to protect the seat. Its absorbs and is plastic backed. Fabulous for any gross leakage.

Tracy- Mazda 5 owner, carseat freak, and midwifery assistant, doula, and childbirth educator.

Back