Seafoam Help Please

bassjas12

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege #704
Hello All,

I have purchased some seafoam and have put some in my gas. No I want to put it in my Vac lines so that it will clean there as well. Here is how i understand how to do it:

1. Take off engine cover to access PCV Hose (engine off)
2. Slowly pour seafoam into the PCV hose while goosing the throttle (1/3 PT of Seafoam)
3. reconnect PCV
4. Turn on engine
5. Drive Hard on engine until it stops smoking.

Can someone confirm this or provide me with other directions please? Thanks!!

I don't think I said to drive it hard. Looks like some of what I suggest to you in the past. Some people add it through the brake booster hose because they erroneously think that doing it the way that I do it won't hit all cylinders. Do it however you want, just get it done already.

Ha. Will do ASAP, just wanted to confirm what you told me since It has been a bit since I last asked. The "drive hard" Ive just seen in other posts. The main part I wanted to confirm was that the car should be off when adding it to the vac line, then turned on after. I just wanted to check so i did not inadvertently screw something up.

Yes indeed and this stuff is awesome! Not very clear the way you wrote it but with a warm up to temp engine while still running add 1/3-1/2 bottle to vac hose of choice while blipping the throttle cable to keep the engine from stalling. Mine is my bov line that coinsidentally runs off my brake booster line where I have a vac block set-up. Shut off car immediately after and let sit for 10min. I always sit at idle and gradually free rev higher and higher up and down until no more smoke.

I've let is sit for more than 5 minutes and and even overnight on occasion. Also have done a 2nd treatment after the inital one. Usually upon restarting the car I take the RPMs up to 2,000 for a few minutes and then let it idle before going for a fun drive. All the residual cleaner that makes it smoke is gone within a mile or too.

The key is too add it slowly, which will usually cause the engine to stall out. Make it a regular process and you'll get the maximum benefit from its use.

OK! it has been seafoam'd! Think i will take your advice and do it a second time. I did not know how much throttle I had to give it, so stalled it halfway through adding the seafoam. So got it started again, but then it was smoking as i was adding the rest. Still smoked forever after I waited like 10 min, but not as much as it was when i was adding the rest. Also found i have a leak somewhere near my exhaust manifold. smoke was coming out of it. :(

Just be careful if you drive it to burn the smoke off, DON'T BOOST. You don't want the turbo getting hot enough to burn your seals and even catch fire.

this time i just burned it off while reving in neutral. Was thinking about driving when i repeated the process again tho. Thanks for the tip R242!

Last edited:
I boost everytime after a seafoam treatment.

Directly from seafoams website:

Lubricates upper cylinders, fuel pumps, turbochargers, drawn-through superchargers, and related fuel system and exhaust system components[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]. Sea Foam Motor Treatment is a 100% blended petroleum product. That means Sea Foam is OIL, so adding Sea Foam to ANY fuel adds lubricity to fuel system components and upper cylinder areas of your engine.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I'm just speaking from my experience, I love seafoam and use it still in my Trooper, but last time I used it in the 3 my turbo started smoking a bit too heavy. Of course the turbo has more deposit in it, but it was literally burning. I'll probably use it again, but I won't rev. Oil is a pretty generic term, more specifically sea foam is mostly white gas. Oil, gas...all flammable at the right temperature. Just be careful is all I'm saying.

i put it in my oil and in the gas tank i think it made my engine light go on for a bit but it was fine in the end

I used the brake booster line when I did mine last month, that way you know you are sucking in closest to the throttle body and get a nice even coating throughout the intake. I think the next time I'm going to try the vac port where the BPV is connected, just to see if it makes a difference. Also the car will smoke at first, but can still smoke for a few days (just not as bad) since you are still having seafoam working into the motor from what's in the gas tank.

The only thing to be careful of is if you are going to spray the throttle body with seafoam too, make sure the straw is on tight to the can or it will shoot into the throttle body and it's not fun trying to fish that back out.

how often do you guys seafoam the car? once a year or every 25K like seafoam recommends? Also when adding it to the gas does anyone do that a few times a year? I use redline or luckus gas treatment every oil change and wanted to know if I can use the seafoam instead

I did it this past weekend. LOTS of smoke. I love that stuff. I just the PCV vac line going into the manifold. I actually put a longer vac line on it and stick it into the bottle. This method was shown to me compliments of ryan. Thanks buddy. It definitely was the most effective method I have seen. Tons of smoke. Then I let it sit for about 15 mins and restart and rev/drive until the white smoke goes away.

So my bov is running through brake booster line with a vacuum t, should I use the vacuum hose from bov at bov or take vacuum t off and put brake booster hose in seafoam bottle? Does the oil need to be changed afterwards?

Dont know about the BOV part of it, but yeah oil should be changed soon after using it. Doesn't have to be right away, but it will dirty up the oil quicker. I have read about people doing it a few days before they plan on doing an oil change.

So my bov is running through brake booster line with a vacuum t, should I use the vacuum hose from bov at bov or take vacuum t off and put brake booster hose in seafoam bottle? Does the oil need to be changed afterwards?
Don't put it in the path of the BOV. You probably don't want the Seafoam to come in contact with it. Just use the vac hose and suck up about 1/3 of the bottle through the hose, about 1/3 into the crank, and the rest into the tank. Like said above it's better to do a treatment prior to you changing the oil (within ~300 miles) as the Seafoam will take (clean) off a lot of extra deposits, putting it into the oil and further contaminating it. You won't have to do another treatment for another oil change or three.

Last edited:
Back