Screw your FMIC

subing, had this idea a while back, but never did anything.. cant wait to see results..

Title should have been, "Screw your fmic, my idea blows!!"

It looks like a good idea, my only question though is where will the heat go? Sure you can blow air around your engine bay all you want, but if its got no where to escape it won't help much.

At least on the CX7, the engine bay retains heat very well.... TOO well. After a driving home with IAT's in the 120-150F range (engine bay temp) it will seriously take 4+ hours to cool down to a reasonable temp if you park in a garage and leave the hood closed.

It looks like a good idea, my only question though is where will the heat go? Sure you can blow air around your engine bay all you want, but if its got no where to escape it won't help much.

At least on the CX7, the engine bay retains heat very well.... TOO well. After a driving home with IAT's in the 120-150F range (engine bay temp) it will seriously take 4+ hours to cool down to a reasonable temp if you park in a garage and leave the hood closed.

good point. now time for some duct tape, dryer vent tubes, 42inch swampcooler fan mounted to the undercarraige and that should take out the hot air.(first)

Looks pretty good.

2 questions:

a - when you're at a light will you be blowing down towards the IC or out towards the ducting?

b - would that have worked if u just mounted it to the top underside of the hood?

I had dual puller fans on my MR2.

They were a bit on the loudside, but functional!

4.jpg

I assume it is pushing air toward the tmic. It might decrease temps even more if you spray water as well. Post the Results!!!!

That's HOT!

Thanks! She was an awesome car, just she never got driven really. I had the Protege MP3 for 16-17 months and put almost 40k on her in that time and in the 4+ years I had the MR2 (1 year NA as my only car/daily driver then 3 years swapped + a DD) I barely put 25K on her and only 15k or so after the swap.

Here's exterior pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

Thanks for the input guys, Ill be wiring the fan up after dinner so I will include a video of the fan running. The fan will be blowing down, since sucking up would just be pulling hot air through the IC. Im hoping things work out nicely. Update tonight!

Okie....I hard wired up the fan as I stated before, using aircraft grade electronics. 40amp switch with a 10amp hard circuit breaker, wired directly to the battery so Im able to turn the fan on even when the car is off (mostly for autox cool down)

As for the fan itself, the fan pulls great! It even pulls enough to cuase some suction when the hood is closed. Im able to put my hand in front of the mazda emblem and feel the pull. Unfortunately, I wont have any numbers for alittle bit, so youll just have to take my word as for how well the fan works. Since its late I wasnt able to shoot a video, so youll have to wait till tomorrow.I even let the car sit for alittle, and everything close to the fan was cool with the fan running. For those who want to try the mod:

Here is the fan http://www.the-fan-man.com/shop/size-push-part-0365-p-195.html?cPath=33

and switch and breakers can be found from www.hrpworld.com I would recommend for those of you who are not race oriented drivers to just use a relay setup, it would be alittle bit cheaper since the switch and breaker cost me close to $60.

Im satisfied with how the fan turned out, Ill probably go back and trim the shroud alittle better when I have the time. So for those who are iffy about the craftsmanship, well so am I, and it bothers me:)

Anyway here are 2 pics of my switch and breaker
DSCN0437.jpg

DSCN0438.jpg

Back