Scratches on wheel

KYREDP5

Contributor
:
02.5 Classic Red P5
I've recently aquired some nice scratches on one of my wheels. (Polished alloy) Anyone reccomend a good polishing compound to get them out? (They are very light). Or if I were to have a professional do it what would I look up in the yellow pages? Wheel repair or what?

Mothers

I would use Mothers Aluminum polish on bare aluminum. But I would first check to see if the scratches had not penetrated the clear coat. If so, I would use a fine polish like DuPont Number 7, or Meguires fine cut to polish out the scratches in the clear coat. Mothers also has a fine cut polish.
If the scratches had penetrated the clear coat, I would touch them in with clear and polish the area just like a paint touch up.
I would then wax the wheel.

Re: Mothers

Jim Frye said:
I would use Mothers Aluminum polish on bare aluminum. But I would first check to see if the scratches had not penetrated the clear coat. If so, I would use a fine polish like DuPont Number 7, or Meguires fine cut to polish out the scratches in the clear coat. Mothers also has a fine cut polish.
If the scratches had penetrated the clear coat, I would touch them in with clear and polish the area just like a paint touch up.

Thanks, the scratches havn't gone through the clear coat so I think I should be alright. I can almost scratch the scuffs out with my fingernail. :D

PA_MP3_Man said:
what if you have some serious curb rash, how can you fix that? IF possible?
<BR>You can use some extra fine wet and dry and really take your time on sanding the rash out.
Remember though, it's a drawn out job!
You will have to re paint and clearcoat them......you might do better just getting them plastic coated or chromed.
I wouldn't recommend the latter - it makes them heavy!

PA_MP3_Man said:
what if you have some serious curb rash, how can you fix that? IF possible?
it's all fixable as long as not bent, if you are serious about it, stop by a local body shop and ask them about it, some of them know, and it's all free info

Hey thanks, they aren't bent, they're just scratched up all around the wheel from going through a car wash that pushed me through. Didn't think about that till it was too late. I got out and looked couldn't believe how bad they were.

I don't know if I should attempt to sand out the scratches myself or not. Might do more harm than good.

I'll start makin some calls and find out about body shops. Thanks again guys.

What would one expect to pay at a body shop? Mine are light scratches about 3in wide, on all 5 spokes.

Re: Mothers

Jim Frye said:

There is not clear coat on polished rims! Just bare aluminum.

I am no expert but I think you spoke with some Bozo the clown salesperson at the dealership. No car manufacturer clear coats their polished aluminum rims

I'm no expert either, but...

lxpony said:
I am no expert but I think you spoke with some Bozo the clown salesperson at the dealership. No car manufacturer clear coats their polished aluminum rims
I just spoke with three different "Bozo" technicians in three different "Bozo" dealerships in two different states, who all told me the P5 polished alloy wheels were clear coated. Two of these "Bozos" stated they owned P5s with polished wheels.

By the way, the Enkei wheels that came on my '97 Civic are clear coated and have polished spokes and rims. Bare, uncoated alloy wheels will begin to pit in a matter of weeks when exposed to road salt. I've seen it. My son had a set of Prime wheels (non clear coated and un-anodized) on a truck and they were trash within two months of winter driving.

Last edited:
Well I made some calls around and found out that no one knows where I can get that done around here. One person sent wheels out to philly to get fixed. But he said it was like $600. I explained to him what was wrong with my wheels and he said that was exactly what was wrong with the other ones wheels. They were off a Mercedes he said. This blows. $600 to fix these freakin wheels. Eh theres gotta be something better. I would try to sand them down myself but how would I go about repainting them in the spots? I assume that the racing harts are painted on the outsides of them. Man I'm so pissed off right now. I'm gonna go shoot something. I'll be back. And If I'm not back in 15 minutes you know what to do....

Wait 15 more minutes....

actually i think they might be clear coated.........................i went to the dealership and thought it was curious that one of the precautions for the mazdaspeed protege was not to take it through automatic car washes that use brushes because it could damage the finish on the alloys............when i asked why, i was told because they were clear coated, and also that they clearcoat 'other' wheels aswell. i didnt bother to askk if mine were clear coated because im an idiot, but i also dont have chrome wheels............

You will find that most wheels have either a clear coat - or a clear coat substitute.
The brake dust and road grime eats at the alloy otherwise - chrome or not!

an update to this thread- the polished aluminum 5 spoke ARE NOT CLEARCOATED- I have been sanding and buffing scratches out of mine so I can verify that they are not- the non polished aluminum though are clearcoated

The best way to get minor scratches out of clear coated wheels is to go to an automotive paint retail shop. Pick up some 2000 sandpaper, get a hose and keep the water running while you lightly sand the area. Then all you need is a rag wipe the spot off, it will look dull, if you still see the scratch keep on sanding. Only problem is if you break through the clear your completely screwed. But when when the scatch is gone all you need to do is get some compound on a rag rub it real good, get some polish and you should be in good shape.

Back