Scratch headlight casing

robr21

:
'02 Mazda Protege5
I bought my P5 about 3 months ago, and I'm slowly working on fixing problems one by one. I have fixed quite a few already, thanks to the help of you guys here. I've been silently reading and using a bunch of your ideas.

Anyhow, my question is:

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the scratches on the headlight casings? Mine are quite scratched from the previous owner, and I'd really like to clean them up. Will really fine wet-sanding it clear it up or just make it worse? Has anyone tried anything like this before? I did a search and couldn't find anything about fixing the problem, just people commenting on having the problem.

protege_banner.jpg

Last edited:
Find the how-to for removing 'haze' from the lens. Basically, wet sand w/ 600 and then follow with polishing compund and then finish with meguiers glass polish (IIRC),,,

Im glad I found this thread. I have had the same problem with the 'haze' on my headlights. I am going to try to wetsand and polish like you suggested. I'll post before and after photos if I can.

I tried wetsanding 800, 1000, 2000, + Mother's Plastic Polish, and it really didn't help...

Did you have a haze or scratches? Also, before I go ripping my front end apart...what are some other products to try other than the Mother's? Has anyone had any luck correcting the problem?

Demoniam said:
I tried wetsanding 800, 1000, 2000, + Mother's Plastic Polish, and it really didn't help...

haha..that was vauge. Let me know how it turns out...I am going to try this on Sat and see if I can fix my headlights. I also need to lower my headlights because my HIDs have been blinding a lot of people.

Demoniam said:
YES!

This weekend I may try a headlamp buffer pad that they have at Wal-mart...

Yes to both, was what I meant.

Also there's a company called Clear Again, which supposedly re-mills your headlights. http://www.clearagain.com
I have no idea how much it costs, since the guy in the Charlotte are has not returned my calls.

Yah they sell a buffer like this at Autozone. Its a buffer pad with a bit on it so it can be used with any buffer or screw gun. I bought it to fix my pitted lights and haven't tryed it yet. I will post some pics of what the product looks like, and some before and after pics if I can.

Yes, this is an old ass thread. Anywho, I tried the local autozone headlight scratch removal and once done wet sanding I applied the liquid, let it dry and hand buffed it out. My headlights are now scratched worse lol WTF? Anyone have any ideas? Should I get an electric buffer and just buff the s*** out of it? I'm pissed off to the point of just buying some ebay headlights and throw some rockblockers on it and keep on truckin...its a thought.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Yes, this is an old ass thread. Anywho, I tried the local autozone headlight scratch removal and once done wet sanding I applied the liquid, let it dry and hand buffed it out. My headlights are now scratched worse lol WTF? Anyone have any ideas? Should I get an electric buffer and just buff the s*** out of it? I'm pissed off to the point of just buying some ebay headlights and throw some rockblockers on it and keep on truckin...its a thought.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I think wet sanding only works on glass? I am not it would work to well on are plastic headlight housing. That is why I have been hesitint to try it.

Has anyone been sucssesfull in fixing pitting and scratching in are plastic headlights? If so I know we would all like to know

Well it's a permatex kit. From their website:

An economical and effective kit that works on exterior plastic lighting lenses to restore “LIKE NEW” clarity, improving light output and appearance. Eliminates clouded, pitted, and yellowed headlight lens surfaces

Basically mine were a little scratched and faded. It should have worked, now it's just scrated worse, I'll try it again in the morning I guess.

Last edited:
yes. meguiars plastx works great, the trick is to use a decent amount and work it in for a long period of time. leave wetsanding to the proffesionals. it takes a polish with a certain amount of cut to remove wetsanding marks.

yes. meguiars plastx works great, the trick is to use a decent amount and work it in for a long period of time. leave wetsanding to the proffesionals. it takes a polish with a certain amount of cut to remove wetsanding marks.

Good to know, thx...I'll give it another shot tomorrow and will try an post pics.

i've wet sanded/polished the headlights on my older cars with very good to excellent results. but i'd be hesitant to wet sand my p5's lights because of their clear plastic lenses. more likely to show imperfections. maybe using a fine cutrubbing compound instead of sandpaper and then a good polishing would work better.

I just got done using Meguris PlastX. It worked really good. Lens looks really clear now. But, up close at an angle you can still see some stratches. I'm going to try an find a rubbing compound and really dig into those scratches. I'll post pics tomorrow.

I just got done using Meguris PlastX. It worked really good. Lens looks really clear now. But, up close at an angle you can still see some stratches. I'm going to try an find a rubbing compound and really dig into those scratches. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Sweet! I just picked some of this up today. Did you just hand buff it with a waxing pad??

Back