SCCA Street category to replace Stock for Solo competition for 2015

aMaff

High Speed Low Drag
:
1992 Miata / 2003 Pathfinder
Cliff's Notes:
-Street tires to replace R-Comps.
-Wheel diameters may be increased or decreased 1 from the standard part to improve tire choices.
-Dual adjustable shocks / struts, no remote reservoirs
-Camber plates and / or bolts allowed for Strut cars

Preamble Over the last several years the sport has seen a consistent and ongoing decline in the participation in the Stock Classes. After months of deliberation, the SEB has concluded that the cause of the decline cannot be traced to a single factor, but rather is indicative of a category formula that is no longer meeting the needs of much of our membership. We believe that there needs to be a category that is easily accessible to newcomers to the sport, while also supporting a highly competitive environment for our most dedicated members. We also believe that for this environment to exist we must have a ruleset that is reflective of the needs of modern vehicles. Automobile manufacturing, government regulation, and advances in suspension design have created the safest, most comfortable vehicles the industry has ever seen, and we believe that the current ruleset is not reflective of that reality. We have been monitoring the situation for several seasons and have spent a considerable amount of time undertaking a major rewrite of the ruleset with the following tenets in mind:

The category ruleset must address our Core Values in the following ways:
1. The available allowances should create a diverse field of cars. The allowances should also reverse some of the built in limitations that prevent cars from performing on the autocross course.
2. Consumable items should have a cost per run that fits with the expectations of our members.
3. The ruleset should be forward looking so that vehicles produced during the coming years can compete in a manner that our membership expects.

We believe the underlying reason that members love this sport is that they want to have fun with cars! We want thisruleset to broaden the base of cars and people who can do this within the SCCAs Solo program.

With that in mind, we propose the following update to Section 13 of the Solo Rules. Highlights include the use of high performance street tires (140 treadwear in 2014, 200 treadwear in 2015), a reduction in the shock absorber allowance (2 adjustments, no remote reservoirs beginning in 2015), an opening of the camber allowance (additional camber allowed via camber plates, camber bolts, and slotted struts), an opening of the wheel allowance (OE diameter plus or minus 1), and an opening of the swaybar allowance (changes permitted to both bars). These changes are proposed as a way to make the category more relevant to todays cars and todays enthusiasts, while keeping the core concepts of vehicles that are easy to prepare and easy to live with in normal street usage. You will also notice that we changed the name from Stock to Street. This change reflects the fact that these cars arent actually as delivered off the showroom floor, something that has caused confusion in the past.

In addition to the proposed changes to Section 13, you will also find accompanying changes to Section 14 and Section 15. Section 14 changes are limited to housekeeping some allowances in Section 14 have been moved to Section 13, and thus removed from Section 14. Section 15 has similar housekeeping, but also a new rule 15.12, which allows for cars prepared to the Section 13 rules to run as Street Prepared Limited Prep with R-comp tires and remote-reservoir shocks. This is intended to give current Stock category competitors who have invested in higher end shocks and/or prefer driving on R-comp tires a place to keep running their car with no changes needed. Limited Prep car classifications will be included in an upcoming FasTrack.

With these rule changes, car classifications for Section 13 cars may also change in many cases. An updated version of Appendix A will be published for member comment in an upcoming FasTrack. In order to make sure we have the ability to correct any mistakes made in such a large reorganization, the entire affected sections of Appendix A will be considered new classifications and subject to the 12 month reclassification window listed in 3.2.

Full breakdown of the proposed rules package here:
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/13-fastrack-april-solo.pdf

I personally think this is a very good direction for the club to take, as it lowers the barrier to entry significantly. The difference between a factory stock car and a "Stock Class" car is fairly significant. The difference between a factory stock car and a Street class car will be much lower. I don't think the rules package is "ideal" yet (but that's why there is process for member comment), but I like it way better than I ever liked "Stock" class.

As the rules are hammered out, I believe the 2-swaybar allowance will be brought back to the current 1-swaybar, and hopefully the treadwear rules will be standardized among "Street tire" classes.

Your thoughts are welcome here. They're even more welcome at www.sebscca.com.

Good stuff. Would make me much more comfortable entering an SCCA sanctioned event. The rules they are updating puts it on the level I am used to running with my local AutoX group.

Even with a full intake, upgraded RSB I am still considered "stock" which I dont think would have been the case before under SCCA. I don't think that would have been a fair match up to list me as "modified" when I'm sure I'd be mild in comparisson to others in that class.

Tires is another big thing. Being able to run RS3s or something compatible is a nice advantage. We're allowed to run any street tire 140TW or above with my group so definitely considering just picking up two wheels to run better tires up front since rears arent really necessary lol

rears arent really necessary lol

You follow the Honda drag-race philosophy?

turp_0902_01_ztempest_racing_acura_integra_drag_carfront_right.jpg

;)

(lol2) pretty much...if anything, more grip up front and less in the back will get the car's big ass to move around better haha especially in the tight courses we run.

a lot of folks in classes that allow changes to wheel width actually do that, just not to that extreme. I believe xelderx had 275s on the front and 205s on the rear of his BG Protege ;)

But yeah, this is about the street class, so... back on topic, I guess.

I think the changes made to the stock class are good.

What I am skeptical about are where the old stock class drivers go... they have the "limited prep street prepared" classes now. The explanation on how that work isn't crystal clear to me. And even if it was, it is another confusing class title for new people.

Honestly, I think the Limited Prep thing will be a non-starter. I don't think anyone in Stock is realistically clinging on to R-Comps to go play in SP without just building an SP car. The existing drivers will adapt to either Street or Street Touring, and a small, vocal minority will get so pissed off about getting screwed that they'll probably leave for a while. That said, my understanding is that the response to this proposal has been overwhelmingly positive.

i like the way this is all playing out. i never liked how stock classes were allowed slicks. i know of a few people who came out to try their hand at autocross with their road car and would be discouraged because everyone else in their class had slicks and it was really hard for their street tires to compete with slicks....

i like the way this is all playing out. i never liked how stock classes were allowed slicks.

They've never allowed slicks. There's a big, big difference between slicks & DOT R-Compounds. But I agree with the general sentiment. Seems silly to allow that in "Stock"

The May Fastrack is out with the updated proposal after member feedback:
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/13-fastrack-may-solo.pdf

Cliff's notes:
1) No "Limited Prep" SP classes for people still wanting to race on race tires.
2) Eliminated sway bar change, use current one sway bar rule
3) Change camber proposal such that it can't change track width and only allow one method of adjustment.
4) Eliminate shock rule change, use current shock rule (remote reservoir shocks are back in)
5) Stability/Traction control can only be altered in the ECU by cars which do not have a factory way of defeating it
6) Requirement for full length exhausts.

I actually liked the front and rear swaybar allowance. I also think if mufflers and cat-back piping can be modified, than air intake modifications should be allowed as it is such a common modification; otherwise it would make more sense to not allow any modification to intake or exhaust systems. On the whole, I do like where this is going. Street tires make much more sense to me than r-comps for "stock" classes.

Latest posts

Back