SCBS (Smart City Break Support) - Tried and tested - Sort of!

Applauso

:
Mazda CX 5 Sport 2WD
Well in the UK we have SCBS where a laser detects if you're going to bump the car in front of you for speeds up to about 20mph. To stop bumps at traffic lights etc. Well nobody is actually risk checking this are they! Anyway the other day when leaving work the barrier was on its way up to let me out of the car park (as I was still slowly moving forward). When it got about halfway up my car suddenly braked all on its own and brought me to a stop! I first though WTF! then noticed the warning on the dash saying SCBS had been activated. It had obviously detected the barrier going up! So Yes......It works!

The US 2014'S have this feature as well. I am very curious about this SCBS and I plan on running a test. My coworker just purchased a 70" flat screen television that came in a very light and fairly thin cardboard box. I am going to stand the box up on its edge in the street and give it a go. I don't plan on testing it at 19 mph, but maybe at 5-10 mph. Maybe I will wait until after my car gets its first scratch in it just incase the test fails.

The US 2014'S have this feature as well. I am very curious about this SCBS and I plan on running a test. My coworker just purchased a 70" flat screen television that came in a very light and fairly thin cardboard box. I am going to stand the box up on its edge in the street and give it a go. I don't plan on testing it at 19 mph, but maybe at 5-10 mph. Maybe I will wait until after my car gets its first scratch in it just incase the test fails.

Report the results back here. Oh and take the TV out first! (hah)

It's worth a try - I wanted to do this as well. The manual specifically says that it will not detect people or bicycles, but maybe a large box will work.

"Oh and take the TV out first! "

Now that was funny....simple...but funny :)

I was curious about this too. Would be funny to test with the empty cardboard box. Try and take video!

The Infiniti JX has a very similar system for backing up. At the dealer, the sales person let me try it. He used a cardboard box as the object and told me to try to back up into it. I could watch the box get closer in the rear view camera and as I got really close, the car stopped itself. The second try, the sales guy thought I could go a little faster, so I did, but I guess it was too fast because the car didn't stop in time and I knocked over the box. (drunk) (lol2)

I wouldn't be worried about bumping into a cardboard box.

My question would be...what happens after the car stops itself? Does it continue to hold the brakes until you press on it? or does it only stop you for a short time, then lets go of the brake? The Infiniti JX brings you to a stop, but only for a second before it releases the brake and lets you start rolling again. That means you only have a second to get your foot on the brake before moving again.

The laser in my opinion will not bounce back from a cardboard box but a car yes, there car manual discusses how it works.

Hopefully insurance premiums will drop once this tech is mandated.
It's staggering, number of young newly licensed drivers I have seen drive into the rear of vehicles parked at the kerbside.
Not the result of talking on mobile phones (that would be too costly) but typing and reading texts on the move!
It has reached the point where I no longer allow my pre teen children to cycle on the road.
It is sad that we have reached this level of selfishness and immersion.

Hopefully insurance premiums will drop once this tech is mandated.
It's staggering, number of young newly licensed drivers I have seen drive into the rear of vehicles parked at the kerbside.
Not the result of talking on mobile phones (that would be too costly) but typing and reading texts on the move!
It has reached the point where I no longer allow my pre teen children to cycle on the road.
It is sad that we have reached this level of selfishness and immersion.

The CX-5 has already had its insurance banding lowered in the UK due to the SCBS system... unfortunately this was a few months after I'd taken out my insurance premium!

Tested today! While driving into my garage today as it was opening, the SCBS stopped us as it saw the door still raising. Freaked me out as I thought I had run into something until I looked in the instrument cluster to see the SCBS warning on. Well I know it works now :)

I missed my chance, My coworkers wife threw out the big box. I've been in Dallas since Sunday so I could not get over to his house to run the test. I'm not getting home for another few days. The test will have to wait.

another way to try it is to have a couple people hold a big blanket or tarp
(standing to the side of course)

Tried this to the other day with a car in front of me - talk about a leap of faith! The system worked but it did freak me out!

If I understand the manual correctly, the system works between 2-18 mph. However, from 2-9.3mph, SCBS will stop in time without hitting the object in front of the car, any speed over 9.3mph but below 18mph, the car will hit the object in front but will mitigate the damages? ( damage to the front bumper won't be as bad...)

The way I read it, from 2-18mph, it will stop the car. The 9.3 was in regards to closing rate. So at speeds even above 18 mph, but with a closing rate of less then 9.3 mph, the system will slow the car.

The system stopped me giving my Garage door a right twatting, I fully intended to stop myself but don't think it trusted me lol :)

How close to the object in front of you do you get before the system stops you?
It seems like in mine I am going to hit whatever is in front of me and I hit the brakes

Back