Said goodbye to my CX-5!

sylva143

:
2014 Mazda CX 5 GT
After about 70,000 miles in a CX-5, I was ready for something different. I really enjoyed the vehicle; it was reliable, economical and really fun to drive. In the end, I wanted a bit more luxury and power with excellent fuel economy while maintaining utility and the "fun to drive" quality, so I started my shopping with those goals in mind. I was impressed by the interior upgrade of the 2016 CX-5, but really had been holding out for a turbo or diesel option that never seems to to arrive.

I hit the target with a 2015 Volvo V60 wagon purchased used from Carmax. The 240 hp turbo four is fast, quite, and is rated at a whopping 37 highway (I achieved 33 mpg on the drive back from Atlanta). I did give up the AWD, and although that option is available in the V60 and XC60, they are not mated with the high efficiency turbo. I also like the Swedish design sensibilities. I may miss the AWD, but I only engaged it once or twice this past winter, and my other FWD VW with winter tires worked as well as the CX-5 AWD in those circumstances. Others have developed great technology in turbos that surpass the power and efficiency of Mazda's current US offerings, so hopefully Mazda will make something equivalent available soon in the US.

I will miss my CX-5. It had great personality and great utility; the vehicle just makes sense for so many people. I spend a lot of time in my car, so my goal in trading was to provide something fresh that that also meets my specifications.

This was my first experience buying from Carmax, and I was completely impressed! The whole buying process takes about 2 hours (including a test drive, trade in evaluation, financing, signing paperwork, etc.) or about 1.5 hours without financing. The place is run like a well oiled machine. They offered me a very competitive $20,500 trade in value for my '14 with 46,000 miles on the clock (had a '13 sport with 25,000 miles sold two years ago). Also LOVED the no-haggle pricing. The 2015 Volvo I purchased had only 3,000 miles and priced about $14,000 less than the 2015.5 Volvo available at the dealer. I'd say the options package on the 2015.5 was about $3,000 more than the one I purchased, so I'm guessing the compared savings was about $11,000. Is 3000 miles worth 11 grand?

On the other hand, my experience at the local dealer was horrible with bait and switch internet pricing that suddenly wasn't available to me. They said the so called $7000 discount advertised on-line consists of a combination of conquest cash, loyalty cash, etc. that I was not eligible for, as Mazda is not considered a competitor. One thing I don't get, how can anyone be eligible to combine conquest cash and loyalty cash??? I just doesn't add up!!! All the more reason to deal with Carmax.

After about 70,000 miles in a CX-5, I was ready for something different. I really enjoyed the vehicle; it was reliable, economical and really fun to drive. In the end, I wanted a bit more luxury and power with excellent fuel economy while maintaining utility and the "fun to drive" quality, so I started my shopping with those goals in mind. I was impressed by the interior upgrade of the 2016 CX-5, but really had been holding out for a turbo or diesel option that never seems to to arrive.

I hit the target with a 2015 Volvo V60 wagon purchased used from Carmax.

Glad it worked out well for you. However, one should be careful buying from Carmax, or any used car seller. Rollback of odometers has made a big comeback in recent years. The biggest offenders are off-lease cars that are rolled back and resold. Could have been rolled back by leasee, lease company, or seller. Be very careful to check that interior wear matches the odometer readings. I saw a suv at Carmax with 20,000 miles that had the paint worn off the ignition and brake pedal rubber worn down. If it looks fishy, walk away.

Thanks for the heads up! Fortunately, this car's appearance was mint, apparently sold by a dealer. My guess is that this 2015 loaner/demo needed to go to make room for the 2015.5.

Nice! A couple of years ago, before the SHO, I was scouring the Volvo fleet.

Was pretty much settled on a S60 T6 R Design. Sweet, sweet car. But the SHO was quicker and a significantly better value. So I chose it.

But, I still dig a number of their other vehicles as well. I keep trying to get my wife interested in them, when she's ready for something larger, and ready to part with her CX-5.

Nice cars. Congrats!

The 2015 v60 is a beautiful looking car. I can't rationalize a brand new one, but would certainly consider a used one like yourself. Good luck with the new ride.

Pics or it didn't happen!

I'll post some soon!

Just achieved 38 mpg on the trip into work this morning! There is an eco-mode feature that adjusts climate control and gearing that is very nice on the highway. When more available power is needed, just go into regular Drive, or go into Sport mode.

Looks like some Volvos are going to start shipping to US from China. I had cross shopped an S60 and S40 T5 AWD back when I bought my G35X but neither had the punch of my G in the day. Outright acceleration isn't as important to me these days.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/20/asia/shanghai-auto-show-volvo/

Mine was manufactured in Gothenburg, Sweden. I love this, as my ancestors are from that area of Sweden, and I have family members there. On a visit in 2000, I recall seeing the huge parking lots filled with Volvos being loaded into container ships in the harbor. I guess I feel some type of connection with this car.

Thanks, everyone on Mazdas247 for keeping me informed and engaged over the past 3 years!

I was impressed by the interior upgrade of the 2016 CX-5, but really had been holding out for a turbo or diesel option that never seems to to arrive. ... Others have developed great technology in turbos that surpass the power and efficiency of Mazda's current US offerings, so hopefully Mazda will make something equivalent available soon in the US.
Actually I prefer the Mazda way by developing SkyActiv Technology to improve the car efficiency and not following most other car manufactures simply adding turbo charger(s) and using CVT to achieve better EPA pre-programmed test circle numbers. I keep my new car for a long time and I don't like the idea of replacing expensive turbo charger(s) and fixing the CVT when the car is getting older.

I hit the target with a 2015 Volvo V60 wagon purchased used from Carmax. The 240 hp turbo four is fast, quite, and is rated at a whopping 37 highway (I achieved 33 mpg on the drive back from Atlanta).
Your V60 is a station wagon, not a CUV. You should get better MPG, especially on the highway with lower wind resistance. With turbo, you will be easily using more gas than EPA rating just like you found out during the trip. You have to remember, there is no free lunch. You want more power, you need to put more gas in. In your case, the turbo sucks in more gas. Unless the engine itself is efficient, like Mazda's high compression SkyActiv engine.

I also like the Swedish design sensibilities.
You do realize that Volvo now is a Chinese company, right? Volvo Car Corporation is a wholly owned subsidiary of Zhejiang Geely Holding Group of China.

Actually I prefer the Mazda way by developing SkyActiv Technology to improve the car efficiency and not following most other car manufactures simply adding turbo charger(s) and using CVT to achieve better EPA pre-programmed test circle numbers. I keep my new car for a long time and I don't like the idea of replacing expensive turbo charger(s) and fixing the CVT when the car is getting older.

Your V60 is a station wagon, not a CUV. You should get better MPG, especially on the highway with lower wind resistance. With turbo, you will be easily using more gas than EPA rating just like you found out during the trip. You have to remember, there is no free lunch. You want more power, you need to put more gas in. In your case, the turbo sucks in more gas. Unless the engine itself is efficient, like Mazda's high compression SkyActiv engine.

You do realize that Volvo now is a Chinese company, right? Volvo Car Corporation is a wholly owned subsidiary of Zhejiang Geely Holding Group of China.

Chinese ...when did this happen? (boom05)

Volvo announced on Monday that will invest up to $500 million in its first assembly plant in the United States, where the company plans to double sales.

Double sales and exponentially higher wages. That will be an eyeopener for them, sweatshop pay to UAW-rates!

Double sales and exponentially higher wages. That will be an eyeopener for them, sweatshop pay to UAW-rates!

Dude....Volvo manufactured ( and still do) cars in Sweden and Belgium prior to the Chinese takeover. Those places do not pay sweatshop wages.
Plus I doubt the new plant will be unionized.

Dude....Volvo manufactured ( and still do) cars in Sweden and Belgium prior to the Chinese takeover. Those places do not pay sweatshop wages.
Plus I doubt the new plant will be unionized.

Ok, I accept that and stand corrected. I hope the quality has not or won't be affected under the new regime.

I will be very surprised if Volvo builds in a state where they need to have a union shop.

Some car mfg that build at least some of there cars in the US but are not union made.
Acura BMW Honda Hyundai Kia Mercedes Nissan Subaru Tesla Toyota

Congrats on your purchase!
The V60 is a wonderful vehicle. Volvo's new 4-cylinder engines are new and very thrifty.
Like others said, it is a wagon, which is exactly what I would get because it could weigh less, have less drag, get better fuel economy, have lower center of gravity and could potentially be more fun to drive (are you listening, Mazda?).

What kept me off Volvo until now was the price, meh fuel-economy (with older engines) and reliability. I hope yours proves reliable and without issue! Enjoy!

The V60 is a wonderful vehicle. Volvo's new 4-cylinder engines are new and very thrifty. Like others said, it is a wagon, which is exactly what I would get because it could weigh less, have less drag, get better fuel economy, have lower center of gravity and could potentially be more fun to drive (are you listening, Mazda?).
Station wagon is a dying breed like the stick shift although I like them both. Mazda is a small car company and I just don't think they will take any risks to make a not-so-popular station wagon. Remember Honda Accord station wagon experiment? It was failed miserably. Heck Mazda is even afraid of getting already-available and very-popular-in-the-rest-of-the-world SkyActiv D diesel engine into the US market!

What kept me off Volvo until now was the price, meh fuel-economy (with older engines) and reliability.
I have exactly the same concerns on Volvo cars, especially on the problematic turbo charger.

Station wagon is a dying breed.

My understanding is that both the mini-van and the station wagon are being replaced by the CUVs, such as the CX-5 and CX-9 style vehicles. I've had both in the past, and liked both, but, I can see how the CUVs are sort of a combination of what was good in them.

Back