RX-8 won't start...Please Help!

getting enough spark? Hows the battery? You could try pull starting it...if it doesnt start then there be issues lol

Do you have spark? Were the plugs actually WET with fuel when you took them out (i.e. was it flooded, or were they black/brown from wear)?

You can check spark with a pair of insulated pliers and a friend.

Pull one of the leading plugs out of the engine (the ones on the bottom). Put it in the spark plug wire. Hold on to the RUBBER boot of the wire (get away from the plug as much as you can) with a pair of rubber handled pliers (insulated is preferable) NOT WITH YOUR HAND. Put this in close proximity to the engine block (1/4" away, you don't want to touch it, but you want spark to jump across), and have someone crank over the car. DO NOT TOUCH THE PLUG. IT WILL HURT.

If you see a yellowish spark, it is weak. If it is blue/white, it is strong. Start with this test to diagnose.

If you have bad spark, it could be the following:

Coils
Wires
Battery

If you have spark, then it is a fuel issue.

Could be:
Injectors
Fuel pump

Last edited:
im going to have to test that 2morrow but the battery was pretty dead when i was done. but i charged it tuesday. hopefully its the battery. lol

yeah, the battery has to be pretty much 100% to put a decent enough amount of power to get these things started...

my friend had that prob and he brought it back to the dealer to find that the engine was flooded. Happened on 4 other occassions and then he lemon lawed the car

yea i know it was flooded and i deflooded it. The more i look into it, it starting to sound like its the ECU on top of the battery. but i guess ill find out. if anyone is on the cary area and has time tomorrow, u can be baffled along with me. lol

Back