RX-8 Died, got a CX-7 loner

stangmatt66 said:
Getting on the freeway was fun...lag, turbo boost, shift, lag, turbo boost, shift, lag, turbo boost...Felt like I was driving stick--very fun! I'll probably have it for 2-3 days. Nothing's better than renting a car on the top of your shopping list.

Cmon - have you driven a turbo before?!?

Its probably autobox down and upshifting you refer as a lag.

There is no noticable lag with Cx- 7

...and belive me I have driven several turbos - and Cx-7 is almost as good as Saab twinturbo.

Real lag would pronouce as driving 1,4L Corolla up to 4000RPM and 3,5 L Acura RL from that point beyond (glare) ...thats turbo lag for you.

Mazda CX-7 is good from the start.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm....I don't notice much lag at all.....as Dalton said...she's good from the get go!! Now my RX 8 automaticc had lag!!!

Well guys, I think my days of Mazda ownership end with my RX-8. The CX-7 is a great car, but IMO the interior plastics are a very large step down from the RX-8. Everything is hard, shiny and over textured. The CX-7 drives extremely well and has lots of power, but I can't see taking a step down from the RX-8. Not to mention the horrible service I've recieved and continued to receive from Mazda dealership service centers has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I got my RX-8 back and had to take it back the next day for shoddy work the dealership performed, for not following the full instructions of the recall, and for a harsh vibration and squeel at idle they can't manage to take care of. They had it for another day, but this time sent me to Enterprise to pickup a base PT Cruiser--ew. Parts are on order and I've got to take my car back this week for the third time, I'm sure it will be Enterprise again for me.

Hate to hear about bad serivce. that's one main reason I got rid of my Chrysler 300C for the Mazda is I've always gotten better service from Mazda dealers. as for lag? I haven't owned a turbo car since my 1989 Probe GT. compared to that car, this car has negligeable lag. I really think it drives more like a small displacement V6 that feels "cammy". In short, it feels a lot more like my old Contour SVT than my Probe GT.
Now for the interior. A lot of people say they don't like it. I think the layout is good, and the looks are good. But the materials are finer than in many cars. Certainly finer than in most cars in its class and price. The plastics aren't "soft touch", but look at a lot of cars in the mid '90s and early 2000s using soft touch materials. They look like Hell, today. The harder grained plastics are UV stabilized and generally wear better. They may not be as luxurious, but they are superior. Also, the fit/finish and gap quality in this car is better than any car I've owned. It is truly "Toyota-esque". I say that because lately it seems Toyota is the Cadillac of cars....Ha, a little joke!
I said to my friend last night that the CX-7 was more minivan than SUV and that was meant as a compliment! I guess different cars appeal to different people. I never liked the RX-8.

I'm with the consensus, lag from a stop but very little to none if you get the revs above 3000 or so. Problem is this is easier with a manual transmission. One reason that, while I'd love to have a Legacy GT wagon, I wouldn't want that car with the automatic.

I was given a CX7 sport last Friday when I took my Trib in. Drove it all weekend and noticed no lag in the turbo. I get to drive a Jeep Liberty CRD for work; test drive that and you will see turbo lag.

Needless to say I am picking up my CX7 Touring Tonight!!!
:)

i don't notcice much lag. surprisingly my new cx7 stock reminds me of my first new car, a 96 FWD talon turbo. i think that had more lag as a stick before i applied, CAI, exhaust and blow off valve. i'm happy w/ the power of the cx7 and i didnt even punchit or try the man shift yet. only 90 miles so far. it does go from off ramp speed to 80 or 90 pretty quick. i like fast s***.

stangmatt66 said:
Hey all, just wanted post that I had my RX-8 towed to the dealer becuase it refuses to start and to have the engine recall taken care of. In its place, the dealership supplied a brand new CX-7 GT (Platinum/Black). It's a bare GT with no options. Man does it need Bose.

Getting on the freeway was fun...lag, turbo boost, shift, lag, turbo boost, shift, lag, turbo boost...Felt like I was driving stick--very fun! I'll probably have it for 2-3 days. Nothing's better than renting a car on the top of your shopping list.

I'm glad the dealership supplied it and I didn't have to walk over to Enterprise--ew.

awesome dude glad to hear it and I hope your car fixing goes well.

Guys... the CX-7 DOES have some turbo lag.

When your at a dead stop and you floor it... does it instantly throw your head back? No. You could sip a cup of coffee, the lag is so bad. THEN, about 2000 RPM, you feel the rush of power? Well, thats how long it took to spool that little turbo up to about 100,000 RPM.

Now, say your in manual mode and in 4th gear going 50. Floor it... and for about 1/2 second, it feels like a 4 cylinder without a turbo. Then, again, the rush of power hits. (much more quickly compared to the dead stop lag, though)

This is turbo lag... all turbo cars have it, and the CX is no exception. That little turbine must spool way up to create pressure/boost.
That little turbine is not magic. It has to get spinning, and get spinning REAL quick, in a big hurry. Its not instantanious.

I notice very little lag in the VW 2.0T engine, less than in the Mazda 2.3. The BMW 3.0TT also has very little lag. But after those two the Mazda probably has the least.

Just learn to downshift before you want boost, and you'll never notice any lag when rolling. From a dead stop you're out of luck, though.

lllateralus said:
Guys... the CX-7 DOES have some turbo lag.

When your at a dead stop and you floor it... does it instantly throw your head back? No. You could sip a cup of coffee, the lag is so bad. THEN, about 2000 RPM, you feel the rush of power? Well, thats how long it took to spool that little turbo up to about 100,000 RPM.

Now, say your in manual mode and in 4th gear going 50. Floor it... and for about 1/2 second, it feels like a 4 cylinder without a turbo. Then, again, the rush of power hits. (much more quickly compared to the dead stop lag, though)

This is turbo lag... all turbo cars have it, and the CX is no exception. That little turbine must spool way up to create pressure/boost.
That little turbine is not magic. It has to get spinning, and get spinning REAL quick, in a big hurry. Its not instantanious.

YOU ARE CORRECT !!!
Even a friends 01 Carrera Turbo has some little lag.
If you all want to feel more turbo lag, go test drive the 07 RDX. (enguard)

hey.. didnt i see you on the 15 the other day ? Im here in Temecula

Back