Rusting found on my 03 protege5, caution!!

kk52736

:
2003.5 Mazda Protege 5
I just found some area starting to rust:
1. both side right between the side skirt and the body near the rear wheel. (the vibration when driving causing the side skirt keep scratching the paint on the body of car <- bad design mazda)
2. right hand side of the inside the engine bay where just close to the fender. (weird, never heard of that before)

Please note, this is under paint warranty from Mazda, so check your car before the warranty goes out.

I am sending my car in to fix SOON (big line up in the body shop).

yeah therse a big ole thread about rusting around here somewhere, where do you live? it seems like the people non west coast have a lot more problems with it, i havent noticed any on mine but i live in cali, fairly clean climate, not a lot of rain or salted roads.

Live in Missouri I have not seen any signs of rust on mine and my 02 P5 is one of the first ones east of the Mississippi river (I lived in TN when I got it)

Another spot to check is inside the doors around the sills where the rubber seal is. I had tons of rust starting there.

I've got the same thing going on at the backside of the side skirts. Both sides I believe. I think I am starting to get some surface rust on the door hinges too. My rims too had a terrible finish. I think they were already not in the best shape when I bought the car. But, they are now powdercoated black so I am not worried about the rims so much.

I got my 02 P5 July 10, 2001 in Denville, NJ... Water leaks from the roof rack, rust has developed above the front passenger side wheel-well, right above the suspension. We get plenty of snow, thus plenty of salt. Rust is just a part of living in the Northeast.

Back