Rust and holes in the Frame

:
2011 Mazda 3i Touring
Ok, so we all know by now about the P5s rust problems. I've read the threads on that, posted on one or two, but they all talk about the wheel wells, the hatch and surface stuff like that. Because of that I had my car treated for that rust early on. Too bad I missed the underside when I took it to the body shop. Now the frame rail (?) if that's what it is on a unibody is rusted through on the passengers side a little behind the A frame. There are 2 silver dollar sized holes (one on each side) . How easy and reliable of a fix can expect on this and any suggestions on finding the right sort of place to take it to? I called around a bit and most places don't even fix this sort of thing anymore. Help!(bang)

Ok, so we all know by now about the P5s rust problems. I've read the threads on that, posted on one or two, but they all talk about the wheel wells, the hatch and surface stuff like that. Because of that I had my car treated for that rust early on. Too bad I missed the underside when I took it to the body shop. Now the frame rail (?) if that's what it is on a unibody is rusted through on the passengers side a little behind the A frame. There are 2 silver dollar sized holes (one on each side) . How easy and reliable of a fix can expect on this and any suggestions on finding the right sort of place to take it to? I called around a bit and most places don't even fix this sort of thing anymore. Help!(bang)

Can't u just cut out the rusted metal and weld in new metal?

Can't u just cut out the rusted metal and weld in new metal?

That's what I'm hoping, but I found out that a lot of the body shops aren't doing it anymore cause of the time involved and liability issues. That makes me think that this is more serious and I wanted to know if just cutting and welding is all that there is to it.

All fixed for $200. He cut out the rusted part, which was about 4-5 inches long, and with silver dollar sized rust holes on each side; replaced that with a fabricated piece, and undercoated the whole thing after checking for more rust. So all good... till next time!

Back