running rich cant find vacuum or boost leak!

dont sleep

:
mazdaspeed protege
Well Im Fairly new here and did alot of research prior to posting this but apparently not enough. Recently I did a 626 manifold swap removed the butterflies jb welded the holes for the rod and removed the little lip inside i did not port it. I then installed the manifold. the car idles fine but once I get on the my a/f read below 10 and it runs extremely rich. When Installed the manifold I did use some of the sensors of the 626 manifold dont know if that mattered. I have then replaced both o2 sensors coolant temp sensor check for leaks new plugs the whole 9 yards. I cannot find whats making it dump so much fuel. Its driving me crazy has anyone ever had this problem? Is it possible there is a boost leak i havent found yet? I did do a leak test and found nothing I have no check engine lights either and I no longer own the msp manifold. It also has coil conversion.

Last edited:
Did you do the coil conversion at the same time? Are the spark plugs gapped to .028"?

I didn't have them gapped prior to the mani swap and it worked fine I will gap them tomorrow see if that works.

What did you do to find the vac leaks? Did you just try the spray method, where you spray brake cleaner or soapy water while the engine is running or did you try a smoke test? If you haven't tried the smoke test, I'd recommend that for checking vac leaks. Also, do you have an FMIC or an SMIC? I've been having the same issue as you and not long ago, I actually found really small holes in the IC piping. Its possible you have a small hole or two in your IC piping that's letting in a little too much air, hence the rich condition.

I did the brake clean and the soap test I never heard of the smoke test. I will look it up. I have a front mount. I just took of my bumper to check back there on the intercooler. I will check the piping down there. Its frustrating trying to find a ghost leak.

Could be something as face-palming as a clogged cat. How rich for how long?
If it's not the intercooler pipes/couplers, I'd probably take a look at the exhaust/02 sensor, etc. See how grimey they are. :)

I have no cats and a high flow resonator. Rich by the time I get to pushing the pedal halfway. Both o2s are new. I swapped around some vacuum lines and nothing. Has anyone ever had a bad fpr?

Vacuum leak would make the car run lean, not rich. Are you running the stock injectors? Sounds like an ignition issue to me.

Vacuum leak would make the car run lean, not rich. Are you running the stock injectors? Sounds like an ignition issue to me.

Yeah but if the ECU detects too much air, it may overcompensate and dumb way too much fuel. I had this happen before because my exhaust manifold was loose plus I had holes in my FMIC piping.

So here's an update I swapped out the injectors for some protege 5 injectors same ones as protege and tighten up the clamps everywhere. I'm now getting 10.6 I don't know which one brought it up unfortunately. I did notice how banged up the front mount is. I think it could possibly have a leak. It's a eBay but I'm looking into getting a vibrant intercooler. when I first drove it after the fix to the end of the driveway it cut off smh but it drives a lot better. Gonna look into that now

Latest posts

Back