rr racing udp (underdrive pulley)

FWIW, the part numbers listed for the Goodyear belts were too long for me - I had maxed out both tensioners and I still got a little squeaking. I ended up going with the next size smaller belts.

Lord_Zath said:
strange. My gatorbacks were just fine w/the size given here
Yeah I think there is something wrong with my pulley system but it isn't causing a problem so I've never had it looked at.

got mine today but i think i am gonna take it somewhere. i dont have an impact and i dont wanna buy one for a 1 time use

I want this mod but i am really concerned about the oil pump being underdriven and causing some trouble in the long run. Should I be concerned?

hotrippr said:
I want this mod but i am really concerned about the oil pump being underdriven and causing some trouble in the long run. Should I be concerned?
I've been turbo'd since Jan with this installed (last June) with absolutely no problems. The car has been run at 5000+ RPM for 2+ hrs on a few occasions with hard cornering involved and I have had no engine problems. I hope the addresses your concerns.

I did mine this weekend. It was super-easy. Every thing appears to be ok at this point. I've put about 150 miles on it so far. I don't know that I'll notice any power difference, but I'm hoping I'll see some gain at the pump.

I did. It seems to have some more guts down low, but I wasn't sure if it was my imagination or not.

Last edited:
what do yall use to tighten the belts. did you just use something to push against the pulleys or did you buy the tool for it? i WAS going to do mine today but it looks like the weather wont allow. :(

do we have a bolt that automatically will tighten the belts or do we have to find a way to push the pulleys apart as we tighten them?

i am off again monday and if i can fingure this out i will try to install then

Last edited:
Just checking milage this week I was pleasantly suprised. Before I was getting usually about 27 mpg. That's with alot of 80 mph expressway runs. In the 2 tanks since I put hte pulley on I've been over 29 on each tank with absolutely no change in driving "style".

amsgator said:
what do yall use to tighten the belts. did you just use something to push against the pulleys or did you buy the tool for it? i WAS going to do mine today but it looks like the weather wont allow. :(

do we have a bolt that automatically will tighten the belts or do we have to find a way to push the pulleys apart as we tighten them?

i am off again monday and if i can fingure this out i will try to install then
There's one bolt that YOU have to turn on the alternator that tightens the belt. It's the same one YOU have to loosen to get the old belt off. Same goes for the one on the power steering pump. There are NO automatic bolts on this car, except the ones you don't tighten properly, they will loosen automatically but not without driving. Ask again, I'll tell you the same.

so just turning the bolt will tighten it, you dont have to adjust a swing arm or anything. i was reading on another site (not mazda specific) that there is a took to push the pulleys apart to get the proper tension. but on ours just turning the bolt will tighten the belt? that's what i gathered from reading another post and also from yours

Everybody interested in this apparently drives a P5, how much good do they do MSPs? Would love me some more low end torque.

most peeps on the forums say do not do udp on msp.

flagship, I think I posted a link to the bulkbuy webpage where u can get it at a discount. worked for some, give it a try.

well i got everything off except the stupid pulley. i had the e brake on and in gear and it still spun... so i am looking for a manual impact driver now. sears has one but it isnt in stock so i am still looking. you gotta get inventive to get at all the bolts though, that's for sure

EDIT: i reordered it and it says it is ready to pick up. i guess they got some more.

Last edited:
Back