Rough clutch engagement (still)

JoshP5

Hold the butter
:
AccordSportMT
If I don't match the revs, I get a low vibration as I engage the clutch when upshifting. The clutch doesn't slip.

I brought this up before and the consensus was that the front motor mount was likely bad. I replaced it about 500 miles ago (with a filled stock mount), the old one had not failed but was beginning to tear.

If the front motor mount was still in decent shape , is it possible that one of the other mounts is bad? Or could it be some other problem?

Thanks! Is that #3, the one I can replace with the msp mount?

Last edited:
Checked the mount; to me it looks ok. Check my attached pics?

Attachments

• mm3_1.jpg
    mm3_1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 285
  • mm3_2.jpg
    mm3_2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 298
yeah mine was a bit.. less than optimal (click for full size)

<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 66%; text-align: right;">From Turbo Project...</td></tr></tbody></table>

I never noticed that it was shot until it was out of the car. I had checked it and for some reason or another never realized it was totally torn.

Alright, out it comes. I didn't find a how-to on its replacement--is it tough?

Were you getting alot of clutch chatter? I notice in mine sometimes no mater how you release the clutch you get a fair bit of what feel s liek chatter, was thinking maybe one of my mounts was going as well.

JoshP5 said:
Alright, out it comes. I didn't find a how-to on its replacement--is it tough?

It isn't bad at all actually, as long as your bolts aren't seized up. There's just a few bolts on the engine side and 4 on the car side. Then it just pulls up and out.. I dare say it's easier than a front motor mount replacement!

if all your other mounts are intact you should be ok.. I don't recall supporting the engine, but if you have a jack and a wood block it wouldn't hurt

I must be an idiot. I'm not understanding this motor mount thing at all. My passenger side one is torn just like in the pics above. All others appear to be fine. Anyway, I can't tell why it would matter if the mounts are torn. That top part is simply like a rubber skin. It's way too fragile to have been supporting any weight, or to stop any substantial vibration. Am I wrong? When I'm looking at the stock ones it appears to me that the business end is the bottom of the mount, and that appears to be fine in the above pics? I don't know...help me out here. If upgrading when torn is necessary, then what do other 5 speed P5 owners recommend as far as durometer? The AWR site recommends 95 for 5 speeds, but others say that will be far too stiff.

Also, should torn engine mounts be addressed before adding a new exhaust system? I really need to get the exhaust done because the muffler came completely off and it sounds like crap.

Last edited:
I have a #3 engine mount for the MSP on my desk here and it's going in this week. I'll post my impressions after the installation.

Well, after seeing that only the passenger side is damaged I'm not really worried about it now. I'll keep an eye on the others, but this has to be a seriously common issue on these cars. Poor design? I've got to do something about this exhaust because the coat hanger and noise level are making me look like a complete moron on my commute every day.

MSP #3 engine mount installed, old mount indeed torn, driveline slop greatly reduced.

Thanks, Edwin. :)

Back