roof rack

bobsilver said:
I was looking for a factory rack for a protege 5. Any one have any leads.
Thanks in advance.
I just purchased the 532 Thule adapter kit to go on the factory racks (why they install factory racks, I am not sure. So you can pay Mazda tons of $$ for something not as reputable as the big two brands?)

My roof rack's purpose is to carry my Specialized Rockhopper on the Yakima Viper rack-- a fork mount. (Yakima's Viper and a few others are compatible with Thule's square bars.)

Important: you need extra long screws to make the Thule 532 adapter kit secure.

I'm headed to Lowe's right now to get some longer screws ($4 total) to avoid paying $12.50 for eight Thule "Xadapt7" screws, required when installing on the P5.

I admit it's risky to circumvent the brand name screws, but I'll keep you updated on the results (i.e. airborne mountain bikes ha!)

90210brandon said:
FYI: The 'Mazda' load bars for Canadian pro's are designed by Thule. (RTM)
Well it turns out, the adaptor bars that I installed from Thule work great.
I ended up buying the $12 Thule screws that are long enough to grab around the Mazda factory racks. They're seemingly expensive for screws, but I decided to spend the extra $ for security and peace of mind.

Then I slapped the Yakima Viper racks on and I've got a (so far) reliable roof rack. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. The wind noise is minimal compared to noise made by the factory rack.

It's a nice feeling to slide open the sunroof shade and gaze up at the handlebars riding securely above me.

** One issue with the Thule 532 adapter rack: I can't tilt the sunroof. If I do, it'll shatter the glass. The sunroof is still fully operable when sliding it back. I'm about to disable the "tilt" button so I don't mistakenly push the glass into the screws poking down from the bottom of the factory rack.

I hope this helps anyone else who's looking for a relatively inexpensive way to carry a fork-mounted bike roof rack!!!!

Total cost: $190.50

Roof Rack

I was looking for a factory rack for a protege 5. Any one have any leads.
Thanks in advance.

I have one if you want it. It is brand new. I sold the car it went to and forgot to give the roof rack with it. I never used it. It's $100 obo if you want it.

Hey Mona.
I'm looking for the factory cross bars for a 2002 Protege 5.

I'm in Canada and the car is a Canadian one, which means it did not come with a rack but does have receivers in the roof to accept a rack (usually covered by little plastic covers). It the rack you are have is for this setup, I'd be happy to buy yours for $100.

Do you have any attachments, or is it just the base bars?

Thanks.

You can email me from the forum, or post here.

If you still need one, let me know. I have removed mine and am selling it. 50.00 USD plus you would pay for shipping from US Zip Code, 03103. I have all components

Roof Rack for Sale

Hi, Saw your posting... If you still need one, let me know. I have removed mine and am selling it. 50.00 USD plus you would pay for shipping from US Zip Code, 03103. I have all components
~ Jenne

Hey Mona.
I'm looking for the factory cross bars for a 2002 Protege 5.

I'm in Canada and the car is a Canadian one, which means it did not come with a rack but does have receivers in the roof to accept a rack (usually covered by little plastic covers). It the rack you are have is for this setup, I'd be happy to buy yours for $100.

Do you have any attachments, or is it just the base bars?

Thanks.

You can email me from the forum, or post here.

Factory roof racks

Anyone know if there are any differences in the Canadian 2002 / 2003's Protege 5 mounts for roof racks. I am looking to purchase a mazda rack on a want ads site (pictures shown of the rack on the car) and it appears that it would fit but need to be sure.

He supplied a some type of model number for me but I cannot seem to cross refernce it anywhere. Any input would be great!

Anyone know if there are any differences in the Canadian 2002 / 2003's Protege 5 mounts for roof racks. I am looking to purchase a mazda rack on a want ads site (pictures shown of the rack on the car) and it appears that it would fit but need to be sure.

He supplied a some type of model number for me but I cannot seem to cross refernce it anywhere. Any input would be great!
None. you are good to go

Hi, Saw your posting... If you still need one, let me know. I have removed mine and am selling it. 50.00 USD plus you would pay for shipping from US Zip Code, 03103. I have all components
~ Jenne

Do you still have this around? I'm looking for a roof rack before the the end of the year.
Thanks!

Back