Roof Rack For The Mazda5 Thread

roof to bottom of bar is approx 3.125"-3.375" (eye balled with tape measure and there were slight differences with front bars vs. rear vs. area over moon roof)

I ordered an inno xr with TR120 from ors and they emailed to tell me the 2010 does not have an inno fit and tried to sell me a thule. Is anyone using the inno xr with a 2010 mazda 5?

I ordered an inno xr with TR120 from ors and they emailed to tell me the 2010 does not have an inno fit and tried to sell me a thule. Is anyone using the inno xr with a 2010 mazda 5?

ORS probably is just following Inno's fit guide which only lists 2006-2009 for the Mazda5. It's already been established here in this (long) thread that the Inno IN-XR Stays (foot kit w/locks) and TR-120 Fit Hook (vehicle specific fit kits) are all compatible with Mazda5 model years 2016-2012. Other kits from Yakima and Thule fit 2006-2012 model years as well. Some of these mfgs' database are behind.

For ordering with ORS, simply change your listed model year to 2009 and make sure they ship the TR-120 hooks in the notes section during checkout. That's what I did and mine shipped out today. Btw, the IN-XR stays are ~$83 @Amazon.com with free 2-day Prime shipping (ORS price is $117). ORS wouldn't price match Amazon though. I simply ordered the stays with Amazon and the bars and hooks through ORS. Be sure to enter coupon codes "extra10" or "INNO10" for and extra 10% off your entire order with ORS.

Last edited:
bodegabay,
what's the measurment on the rack you tested?

Punter7768: my apologies for the late reply as I just read your post. I measured very similar heights to the Inno setup I used the Thule 460R Rapid Podium Footpack + KIT3080 fit kit and Rapid Aero or Aero Blade bars and the all measured 3.00in ~ 3.125in from top of roof depending if it was towards the middle or sides of roof.

New OEM Mazda 5 Roof rack

Replacement OEM Mazda rack is now 0000-8L-L09 (previously CC43-V4-701G)

I phone dealerships here and their parts and service dept. don't really know this new one probably they (or at least the dealerships I called) still have inventory of the old one. Someone mentioned quality issues on this thread of old rack but didn't say what the quality issues were.

Note there is a difference in looks. Most websites still show the picture as the old CC43-V4-701G even though it is the 0000-8L-L09.

The new rack looks lower and the cross bars do stick out. Good for tie downs but I like the cleaner look of the old one but the old one was also very tall. Old one probably allowed for moon roof to be opened while you had a box up there since the new one looks lower.

I ordered the new one and have yet to put it on.

In the mean time, here's a review I found on the new one

http://www.papayapc.com/2011/08/28/mazda-5-factory-roof-rack-review/

Looks good. The OEM rack is a Thule rack made specifically for Mazda. It still sits higher than the aftermarket Thule or Inno racks.

If you like the flush foot-to-bar look, the Whispbar (recently acquired by Yakima) is a far superior product vs OEM setup. It uses aluminum aerofoil bars that are quiet and stronger than conventional square or round steel bars. Cost is ~$440USD; comparable with OEM pricing.

7f97f7bf.jpg

e7197506.jpg

Replacement OEM Mazda rack is now 0000-8L-L09 (previously CC43-V4-701G)

I phone dealerships here and their parts and service dept. don't really know this new one probably they (or at least the dealerships I called) still have inventory of the old one. Someone mentioned quality issues on this thread of old rack but didn't say what the quality issues were.

Note there is a difference in looks. Most websites still show the picture as the old CC43-V4-701G even though it is the 0000-8L-L09.

The new rack looks lower and the cross bars do stick out. Good for tie downs but I like the cleaner look of the old one but the old one was also very tall. Old one probably allowed for moon roof to be opened while you had a box up there since the new one looks lower.

I ordered the new one and have yet to put it on.

In the mean time, here's a review I found on the new one

http://www.papayapc.com/2011/08/28/mazda-5-factory-roof-rack-review/
Looks good, yet strange. It looks like Mazda just put new bar ontop but the bar looks like it is floating. How is it secured onto the base? Btw, what is the weight limit of the new rack?

Ive never had a roof rack before this one but you forgot to mention one key point about the OEM rack, which is the cleaver way how the bolt mounts the base to the roof!

I am starting to like the silly/overly high look. Makes me think a giant crane is going to swing over and pick it up/out of a vending machine.

After looking all over the internet I got myself several pieces I was able to assemble together. Tried to drive and everything still in place.

Inno rack, 1 set of Yakima Boa on the RAGE basket, Thule fairing (removed from the other car and bought new one to replace).

Comments welcome.

This basket looks like the Malone Katahdin basket as seen here:

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/malone-katahdin-roof-basket.html

I can't find info on the Thule "Rage" basket. Only basket I see are the MOAB.

Looks good, yet strange. It looks like Mazda just put new bar ontop but the bar looks like it is floating. How is it secured onto the base? Btw, what is the weight limit of the new rack?

Ive never had a roof rack before this one but you forgot to mention one key point about the OEM rack, which is the cleaver way how the bolt mounts the base to the roof!

I am starting to like the silly/overly high look. Makes me think a giant crane is going to swing over and pick it up/out of a vending machine.

It does look like its floating but it isn't (of course). The cross bar has a groove under the bar and the foot base has a tongue on it (that sort of creates a tongue and groove joint). I've attached a document on the assembly instructions of the new 0000-8L-L09 and a few pics.

IMG_9967.jpg
IMG_9972.jpg
View attachment Mazda5 Roof rack.pdf

Last edited:
This basket looks like the Malone Katahdin basket...I can't find info on the Thule "Rage" basket. Only basket I see are the MOAB.

That's because it's not a Thule cargo basket. It's a Rage Powersport ER-08208 Deluxe. The discontinued Malone Katahdin unit is identical to the Rage unit. It could have been Rage private labeled for Malone or vice-versa. Regardless, the Rage basket sells for less than the Malone. I'm not typically a fan of cargo baskets but this one is sleek looking, especially on Oulander's Mazda 5.

ER08208%282%29.jpg

ER08208.jpg

ER-08208-F.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. The OEM rack is a Thule rack made specifically for Mazda. It still sits higher than the aftermarket Thule or Inno racks.

If you like the flush foot-to-bar look, the Whispbar (recently acquired by Yakima) is a far superior product vs OEM setup. It uses aluminum aerofoil bars that are quiet and stronger than conventional square or round steel bars. Cost is ~$440USD; comparable with OEM pricing.

Thanks - This is a good looking rack! Pricey but good looking

That's because it's not a Thule cargo basket. It's a Rage Powersport ER-08208 Deluxe. The discontinued Malone Katahdin unit is identical to the Rage unit. It could have been Rage private labeled for Malone or vice-versa. Regardless, the Rage basket sells for less than the Malone. I'm not typically a fan of cargo baskets but this one is sleek looking, especially on Oulander's Mazda 5.

Thanks for the info. You know your Mazda5 gear! I am looking to get a basket to mount on Mazda OEM (Thule) rack. I want a low profile look to carry mainly a stroller or a few bags (when I need the third row seats for people). I saw the Yakima BasketCase which looks like it can me mounted so the basket is under the cross bars.

http://www.yakima.com/shop/cargo/gear-baskets/basketcase

Heer's a video of mounting it under cross bars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctVi3Tq_F9c

The dimensions of my rack don't allow it for a standard install for under mounting. I did find a Mazda2 owner who did mount it under

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...d-my-basket!&p=5788536&highlight=#post5788536

Just wondering how he did this and if this is safe? (Cause the load bearing is now at the mounts and not on the cross bars in this configuration. My stuff will be light but I do want it to be safe).

Any thoughts? Can I find U bults or something at the hardware store that can bear the weight?

The rack vids from Rack Outfitter's YouTube channel are great! ORS Racks are good as well and e-Trailer.com's vids (mostly on their website) and tech support are topnotch.

And thanks for the Mazda2 link. Thule just released their new AeroBlade load bars but it looks like they've already fitted into some OEM application like the Mazda2.

Regarding the Yakima Basketcase, that's a valid concern how you mount it. Yakima's FAQ says the Basketcase can mounted slightly below the bars with proper spacing. However their installalation instructions specifically notate the basket can be mounted below only on round crossbars. Everything else (factory and square bars) must be mounted above. Whether that's because of technical or legal reasons I do not know. Probably it's because they tested it with their own round crossbars but can't guaranty for other types of crossbars for liability is my guess.

I bought a Thule mount and bars last year so that I could borrow boxes and other mounts when we go on trips- money is tight right now, so I can't afford to buy a box for the 3x a year that I need one. I figured if I buy the rack and bars, I can borrow equipment from friends and neighbors. But I've found the distance between the bars rather frustrating to fit. Sears cargo boxes, for example, don't fit at all without some significant modifications to the box. I see official Thule boxes and other brand names on there, but they are too expensive for me (and apparently my neighbors as well, as they all own cheaper third party roof accessories which don't fit well for me).

Meanwhile, I've been debating getting a roof bag instead of borrowing a box next time. I understand that they are not waterproof, and I can plan ahead for that (wrap delicate things in leaf bags, etc), but the fact that they can fold up to fit nicely in my garage and cost a fraction of a box are very attractive to me.
But can a bag be thrown on top and fastened to the Thule bars? Or do I need a basket or something underneath it? I have a friend who rented a van and threw a big bag on the roof with 10 people's worth of luggage, which actually dented the roof of the rental on their trip. I'd hate to dent the roof of my mazda- but once I need to purchase a basket rack for it to rest on, does it even make sense to buy a cheap bag anymore?

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you posting in this excellent and informative thread, I ordered my Inno base rack from ORSRacksDirect. I bought the IN-XR pods, TR120 fit kit, B127 50" bars and INA261 medium fairing. The fit is fantastic and I'm very pleased with the product and ORS.

View attachment 186474
View attachment 186475
View attachment 186476
View attachment 186473
View attachment 186477

nice set up. A couple of questions. Are those rises under the mounts that allow that sunroof to open all the way? How tough was the install? Where did you buy from? Locally or online? thanks!

thats actually what allows the stays to mount to the car...they are called 'fit hooks'...you can take the rack off and they come with plastic caps so you dont have to totally take the whole system off the car

hey guys, new Mazda5 owner here. We love it so far, but with a third child on the way, I need to install a rack. Looks like I'm gonna spend around $300 minimum. Is that right? Also, it sounds like most people are going with a hard box for storage. The problem with that is I don't have a garage or any other place to store a box when I'm not using it. Does anyone know of a bag that actually IS waterproof that I could get? I know most of them make that claim but are actually not waterproof. Thanks, JD.

Back