Roll Bar Mounting...

JDM-P5

The Jamaican Sensation
:
2006 Speed6 GT
Hey folks...trying to get all my safety stuff done for the Miata before she gets shipped off to Turkey on Tursday. I am going to do my harnesses today...that's the easy part. Now my problem. I have a fire extinguiser that needs to be mounted/bolted to the car. Because I now have the roll bar installed, I'd like to mount it to that. I looked online for DIY/How-to's, but it seems people want to sell the clamps (~$50+)...I figure I can do it for a lot less w/your help & Home Depot parts. Thanks guys.

Ok...
Fire extinguisher $10.97/2 tubes of pipe insulation $5.89(You only need ONE!)/pack of zipties $1.55:
CIMG0014.jpg

Extinguiser:
CIMG0020.jpg

Close up:
CIMG0021.jpg

Harness install:
CIMG0017.jpg

CIMG0018.jpg

CIMG0019.jpg

Question I pose to you folks out there....Is that sufficent enough for restraint?
I'm on the fence about having it wrapped then bolted down.
Thoughts/comments are welcome.
Suggestions encouraged.
Thanks In Advance!

I'd use some metal screw-type pipe clamps... just because i don't trust zip ties for that type of application, as they are plastic and could possibly rot in the sun.

R2s99zoom said:
I'd use some metal screw-type pipe clamps... just because i don't trust zip ties for that type of application, as they are plastic and could possibly rot in the sun.

Agreed,make sure its tight, BUT make sure you can pull it out if you need it an emergency.

miatamania said:
Agreed,make sure its tight, BUT make sure you can pull it out if you need it an emergency.
Yah...I redid the harnesses...again.
I took off the extinguisher...til I figure out what I'm gonna do w/it.

miatamania said:
what about somewhere on the harness bar? between the seats? ------
I can attach the holder to the roll bar w/metal clamps...but I don't have any quick release ones that will hold the fire extinguisher to its holder. The one that came w/the extinguisher is plastic...any suggestions?

attach the holder to the bar w/metal clamps... i know they make metal quick releases for the extinguishers themselves, as i've seen them, but can't think of any specific manufacturer... I'd say do what you can in metal for now, and keep checking home depot/lowes/etc until you find what you need to complete it.

But ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS keep the actual release for the extinguisher quick release (I'm sure that goes without saying... if your mx-5 catches fire you wont want to deal with a screw driver...)

R2s99zoom said:
attach the holder to the bar w/metal clamps... i know they make metal quick releases for the extinguishers themselves, as i've seen them, but can't think of any specific manufacturer... I'd say do what you can in metal for now, and keep checking home depot/lowes/etc until you find what you need to complete it.

But ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS keep the actual release for the extinguisher quick release (I'm sure that goes without saying... if your mx-5 catches fire you wont want to deal with a screw driver...)

Yep...did that. Just need to find that stupid quick release. :)

are you expecting any fires? Maybe Kevin should take a once-over on the car and verify al the fuel lines are secure...

MiaTurbo said:
are you expecting any fires? Maybe Kevin should take a once-over on the car and verify al the fuel lines are secure...
Cute.

The country of Turkey....requires I have one.(poke)

MiaTurbo said:

Whatchoo sayin'? ;)

JDM-P5 said:
Cute.

The country of Turkey....requires I have one.(poke)
Might as well keep an extra set of welding gloves with the extinguisher...
You gotta pop the fire + turbo heated (mazda oven baked?) hood somehow.

Not so sure about the fire extinguisher placement on the red miata. What's more likely a car fire or an accident and your passenger cracks their head on the extinguisher

melicha8 said:
Not so sure about the fire extinguisher placement on the red miata. What's more likely a car fire or an accident and your passenger cracks their head on the extinguisher
it's been relocated

Back