Rod Bearings - How to?

Melanism

:
2001 Mazda Protege MPS
I have to change the Rod Bearings on my MP3. Anyone here done it and/or know where I can find a tutorial? Need some help here.

if you have to ask, then you need a professional to do the work

engine work is NOT for n00bs!

i would have to agree on this one. serious engine damage will result if you don't put them back in correctly and fix the underlying problems.

if you have to ask, then you need a professional to do the work

engine work is NOT for n00bs!

i would have to agree on this one. serious engine damage will result if you don't put them back in correctly and fix the underlying problems.

+2 on this - take your engine to a shop to get it rebuilt (may as well do a complete rebuild unless you're strapped for cash).

Rod Bearings

I have to change the Rod Bearings on my MP3. Anyone here done it and/or know where I can find a tutorial? Need some help here.

FYI, Changed the rod bearings. Wasn't that big of a deal. I never actually 'spun' a bearing. The bearings wore but never damaged the crankshaft. Back in business.

Glad you got it fixed up. What did that run you for parts and labor?

How did you know they needed to be replaced? Did you have a knock?

Rod Bearings

Glad you got it fixed up. What did that run you for parts and labor?

How did you know they needed to be replaced? Did you have a knock?

It really wasn't THAT hard, just takes time. You have to remove the oil pan and the aluminum plate above that, that the oil pan bolts to. In order to remove the aluminum plate, you must remove the transmission and flywheel to get to the last two bolts. AK!!! Once you get the plate off, the rods are right there. Use the hex socket to remove the cap off of the end of the rod and remove the old bearings. Inspect the crank shaft for damage (mine had none) put the new bearings in with grease and put the caps back down on the rods (torque spec) Use red hi temp gasket seal to seal the plate and oil pan. Button everything back. Viola. Don't run it hard for the next 6-7 hundred miles. Done.
I noticed mine were bad because I heard them ticking at about 2500-300 rpms.
FYI, Don't use anything hard like a screwdriver or chisel to pry the oil pan or plate above off. The oil pan has a little screw hole that you screw one of the bolts you take off of the pan into to pop it off from the plate. Any more questions, I'll be glad to assist.

It really wasn't THAT hard, just takes time. You have to remove the oil pan and the aluminum plate above that, that the oil pan bolts to. In order to remove the aluminum plate, you must remove the transmission and flywheel to get to the last two bolts. AK!!! Once you get the plate off, the rods are right there. Use the hex socket to remove the cap off of the end of the rod and remove the old bearings. Inspect the crank shaft for damage (mine had none) put the new bearings in with grease and put the caps back down on the rods (torque spec) Use red hi temp gasket seal to seal the plate and oil pan. Button everything back. Viola. Don't run it hard for the next 6-7 hundred miles. Done.
I noticed mine were bad because I heard them ticking at about 2500-300 rpms.
FYI, Don't use anything hard like a screwdriver or chisel to pry the oil pan or plate above off. The oil pan has a little screw hole that you screw one of the bolts you take off of the pan into to pop it off from the plate. Any more questions, I'll be glad to assist.

remember when i was telling you about drilling a hole to get the 2 bolts..
you must remove the transmission and flywheel to get to the last two bolts.
yeah, that was what i was talking about.removing the trans/flywheel wasn't necessary. there's a place you can drill a hole to be able to get to the 2 bolts.. but i'm glad you were able to get it all done. good job man.

remember when i was telling you about drilling a hole to get the 2 bolts..
you must remove the transmission and flywheel to get to the last two bolts.
yeah, that was what i was talking about.removing the trans/flywheel wasn't necessary. there's a place you can drill a hole to be able to get to the 2 bolts.. but i'm glad you were able to get it all done. good job man.

Thanks...I was afraid to drill. LOL!

Back