Road noise

eilros25

:
Toyota Camry
I recently rented a Sport and noticed that there was a lot of road noise when sitting in the second row. The road noise seemed average when I sat in the front seats but really increased when I moved back a row. It almost sounded like a window was cracked open.

Has anyone else noticed louder than average road noise when sitting in the second and/or third row? Is it common among the 5?

The OEM Toyos are pretty noisy, esp on certain surfaces. My snow tires are much quieter that the OEMs. also, you should notice more noise and rows 2 &3. Row 3 is in between the rear tires and doesn't have the mass to insulate noise that the 1st row does. The one downside to the large open wagon/van design is more pronounced noise.

Seems with all the high-tech computerized simlulation technology these days, manufacturers could come up with lightweight, cost-effective ways to mitigate noise in less expensive vehicles....

I've been used to 4cyl cars' noise for so long that I have no issues, yet I would agree with you.

Now 2 things come to mind: the massive Mazda5 greenhouse does not help the cause (it is a milk box, lol) plus the car's price is very low compared to other parts of the world, so I guess that noise-reduction R&D and materials would add to the production costs significantly

I think perhaps Mazda's product development group views a certain amount of road noise as being part of Mazda's ZOOMZOOM DNA - I've read complaints of excessive road noise in most of their products. And the 5 is not diffferent. I've given serious consideration to pulling the interior apart and applying a serious amount of sound deadener, but I haven't been able to summon up the energy to do it. If I ever go down that path, I'll use products from these guys: http://cascadeaudio.com/car_noise_control/index.htm

Back