Rim scratches

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hello!

I am not sure how most of you was your CX-5, but I usually just run my cars through a high end automatic car wash where you drive onto the conveyor belt system that pushes you through the car wash. My question is, for those of you that have the Grand Touring model, or other, have you noticed any wheel damage from the conveyor system? My biggest fear is if I don't get my left set of tires in perfect.

I've noticed on my wife's 2016 Nissan, the rims appear to sit flush (they're completely flat, where ours seem to have kind of a lip, and I'm not sure how well the tires will act as a bumper at these washes.

Honestly, I know I should hand wash, but I have no time to do so nor do I want to.

Thanks much!

I used to hand wash all my vehicles for years, but no more since I found a local White Glove that does an awesome job. No issues with rim damage on my GT 19' rims. Curb damage that's another story!

I have a guy at work, who washes our cars. My XXR wheel sticks out a lot from the tire, so I'm not going to these car washes.
Look at the picture, where the tire ends and there is another step down from there and all that, sticks out from the tire side surface.
553785450-4.jpg

I've been through those many times in my 16 GT. My rims are still mint.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just the idea of my 19s going down a conveyor of any sort makes me cringe.

There's not a snowballs chance in hell I'd ever run my CX through one of those. I didn't even realize they were still around. I'll OCCASIONALLY take mine through a fully touchless car wash or during the winter to hopefully wash off any salt.

If you have a good coat of wax on the paint and maintain it, the car should repel stuff fairly well and look decent even when it's dirty. I'd recommend taking the time to clay, polish and then wax the paint. I try to do this before and after winter. A small amount of spray wax while drying does wonders.

If these things scratched rims, they'd all be closed. Period. I took my last car through one regularly.

2006 Saab 9-3 Sport Combi. I've taken my wife's 2013 Volvo C70 through a few, rims are still mint. Even took my 1998 Saab 900 SE Coupe through many and that car has the softest rims ever made on mother Earth. The infamous Viking wheels.
Those rails are made of smooth aluminium, not concrete. I'm telling you, there's nothing to worry about. It certainly wouldn't be hard to prove a car wash scratched your rims and they wouldn't be using that type anymore.

Last edited:
Back