Review: 2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring

coolmazda5

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package
No real breakthroughs, but here we go, one of the 1st reviews for the 09 model...

Haul-Ass?
The Bloody M-Word?

LOL (lol2)

It’s just not supposed to be this much fun. Driving a six-passenger minivan (damn, there’s that bloody M-word) that can hang it out through the turns and spin the wheels from a standing start makes you constantly ask yourself what it is, exactly, that this Mazda5 really is trying to be.

What is it?
A unibody constructed Sport Activity Vehicle (SAV). At least that’s what Mazda calls it. It looks like a mini-minivan: That is, a more practical vehicle for city use that holds as many as six passengers, as well.

What’s it up against?

Technically, it slots up against any and all of the traditional (and larger) minivan offerings from Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Kia, Nissan and Hyundai. But in light of certain other features – not to mention its small size – it almost feels as though it’s in a class by itself.

Any breakthroughs?
None, unless you consider a mini-mini, luxed out with a full leather interior, navigation and audio system, and the ability to squeal the tires a breakthrough! The Mazda5 exhibited great handling which is something that is usually never uttered when speaking about vehicles in this niche.

How does it look?
A smaller (mid-size) scale people mover that you would expect to see throughout the UK, Europe and Asia, the Mazda5 is sleek and nicely designed in a style that is absolutely contemporary. Its wedge shape reminds us somewhat of the old “dustbuster” vans from General Motors in the early 1990s. The Mazda5 is nicely angled to make the most of a style that is generally forward in design. It also appears that Mazda designers pay certain homage to styles popular in the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) by use of sharp, cat-like headlights and clear taillights and mild ground effects that lend themselves to the sportiness that follows Mazda’s “Zoom-Zoom” philosophy.

We especially like the dual sliding doors to get in or out of in tight spaces.

And inside?
Care was obviously taken with an inside that’s reminiscent of a corporate jet interior. Everything is laid out within easy reach of the driver, including the shift lever that switches gates to a sport and manumatic mode. The sport steering wheel as seen in other Mazda vehicles is hard at work with redundant controls. Other great little extras surprise: rain sensing wipers, adjustable height and lumbar support, a second row storable table. But go back up front. Turn to the center stack, and you have the typical placements of the navigation and audio system with Sirius Satellite radio, although the controls for the navigation system are not exactly what we would call intuitive.

Electroluminescent gauges display the current state of the vehicle for the driver, and the tilt and telescoping steering wheel make a comfortable driving position available for nearly every sized occupant. Stepped seating has each successive row raised slightly higher for improved visibility of those in the rear, and the middle (second) row of seats fold and move forward so others can get to the rear without too much contortionism coming into play. Or, they can get to the rear by use of the center aisle, just like a flight attendant does. These same middle seats recline backwards, while the third row can do a 50/50 split if needed. Second row climate controls are located at the rear of the front center stack. Cargo capacity with both second and third row seating down is 70.9-cubic feet.

But does it go?
Like Zoom-Zoom, it goes. Let’s get this straight, though: This is by no means a sports car. But certain vehicles have characteristics that allow them to be driven harder with a more rewarding experience than others that offer more power and glitz than the Mazda5. But for as much as we would prefer to not have to deal with a minivan or wagon, this is the one we would pick for the pure “fun to drive” quotient. It is a blast, and handles like a smaller sports sedan, torque steer and all. With an MZR-series 2.3-liter inline four-cylinder engine as found in the Mazda3, Tribute, Mazda6 and B-Series, it’s a proven powerplant that lives up to the reputation of its Zoom-Zoom brethren. In this case, it puts out to the tune of 153-horsepower and 148 lb-ft of torque. That doesn’t seem like much, but consider for a moment that this mid-sizer tips the scales at a relatively “light” 3,417-pounds. Look for mileage in the range of 21 mpg in the city and 27 on the highway, not too bad for a mini-minivan.

The aluminum block and head with dual overhead camshafts motor also features the by-now ubiquitous variable-valve timing for decent low-end torque and high revs on the topside. It’s kind of a kick to hear the engine scream as the lobes change to vary the timing. Power gets to the front transaxle by a five-speed automatic transmission with a sport shift mode. The suspension is what you would expect in any number of boy-racers: By that we mean a pair of MacPherson struts up front and the multi-link arrangement in the rear. Add to both ends a pair of stabilizer bars to keep things steady. Steering is controlled by electro-hydraulic power steering, which is more energy efficient than a pure hydraulic system. The power is transmitted to the pavement by surprisingly adept Toyo Proxes tires mounted on 17-inch alloys. Speed is scrubbed by the use of disc brakes at all four corners, and ABS as well as electronic brake force distribution.

With all the kit the Mazda5 is equipped with, it was a real hoot to put it to the test, hitting late apexes and blasting up the streets of our secret South Florida test loop. The Mazda5 is much more than a minivan, but it is definitely one that you can live with, without the stigma that goes with such.

Why you would buy it:
Because you need and want a vehicle that can haul the family and haul ass, too – ok, maybe we’re stretching it a bit, but the Mazda5 is a family-hauler that won’t leave you missing your sports car when it comes to the twisties.

Why you wouldn’t:
That bloody M-word

Source and pics:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/mazda-mazda5-grand-touring-review-2009.html

Last edited:
Yeah, the only thing I was not too convinced was the comment about the adept Toyo Proxes, after 10,000+ miles I would change the term "adept" for the term "inept" :D

Yeah, the only thing I was not too convinced was the comment about the adept Toyo Proxes, after 10,000+ miles I would change the term "adept" for the term "inept" :D

I think that adept is an adequate word to describe the functionality of the Toyo tires...

Sure they have poor wet and from what I hear downright scary snow traction...
Sure they are noisy as heck...

The truth is that they are a decent performance summer tire with pretty good grip. Unfortunately, they are supposed to be an all-around tire and are labeled "all season." I just interpret this as meaning "all summer season"

About the review: It's nice seeing an honest review of the 5 for what it is. Perhaps things are a little embellished for the sake of a good review. I just get so tired of automotive journalists drooling over Corvette ZR-1s and Audi R8s doing reviews on real cars. Short of a Mitsu Evo or Sub WRX, I don't think another 4 cyl car has been called quick or even decent by the mainstream automotive press in years!

Besides, I've never been a drag racer. The fines and penalties are waaaay to severe in my neck of the woods. But there is no ticket or fine for cruising back country roads at the posted speed and carving tight corners over the "advised" speed on those yellow curve signs.

I think that adept is an adequate word to describe the functionality of the Toyo tires...

Sure they have poor wet and from what I hear downright scary snow traction...
Sure they are noisy as heck...

Well, my point, as long as they are new (aka my 08, i.e. under 10k miles) they feel good, sporty and have good grip, but later (aka my 06, close to 19K miles) they have turned noisy and slippery on start, even over dry surfaces. Not critical but I've seen better, more "adept" tires even with more mileage and age :D

Back