Reprogramming the backup camera

HOLOHOLO

:
2012 Pearl White CX-9 Touring
Silly question, but does anyone have an idea how the reverse camera/screen could be reprogrammed or hotwired to be ON when the vehicle is not in reverse? I'm hoping there may be a testing mode option or other tweak that would do this.

There are plenty times I would like to have rear visibility without having to commit the transmission to reverse

If I had my way, they would ship these units with an "Always On" option for general driving.

If you can get access to the Wiring Disgram of CX9, this should be easy to solve
with a switch.

My guess is that (people who installed the backup camera can chime in here)
the camera power is always switched on. There should be a signal input from reverse gear
that is fed into the display unit to trigger the display of camera video rather than
the GPS video.

Last edited:
you would have to go to the back of the radio and find the wire that shows current when in reverse. i dont know if its a + or - you will need a meter to test. once you find that wire then you can put a switch in line, but you will need to use a relay to keep the camera working normally when the switch is off. i do not own a cx9 yet (waiting for a 2013 for the wife) but i am a car audio installer. we have done this many times in other vehicles and the process shouldnt be any different

Very interesting.

Does this kill all the radio/bluetooth functions? I would think not - but you would lose the display aspect of those features.

you only lose those features when you engage the camera, because the camera takes priority on the screen you will not be able to use any functions. once you disengage the camera all functions beome normal. however if you have the radio playing or in the middle of a phone call when you engage the camera they will continue to operate, just no access to the touch screen. this is what i have seen in all the other vehicles i have done, so it should be the same for your vehicle

I just saw a video about the uber cool Tesla S. They have huge tablet style touchscreen panels built into the dash. These are software-driven and can display just about any control or gauge you want. It features a FULL TIME reverse angle camera.

Smart thinking. Must not be any law against it.

Does anyone else think that the factory back up camera is the worst you've ever seen? Has anyone changed theirs for one that is decent?

Ironically cameras installed in newer Mazdas are different from the older models due to issues with part supplier. My 2010 is far from great, but when compared with my friend's new CX9 it has a lot better picture.

Does anyone else think that the factory back up camera is the worst you've ever seen? Has anyone changed theirs for one that is decent?
No - not by a long shot. One problem with the camera though, is that the lens is not centered on the vehicle, creating off angle distortion of straight lines, beyond what a wide angle lens normally gives you.

Back