Reprogram smart key remote - 2008 Mazda CX-9 GT

dakaardian

:
2008 Mazda CX-9 GT
I am opening a new thread as my problem is a bit different from the one discussed in the other similar threads.

I have a 2008 CX-9 with Advanced Key Remote (the flat remote). One remote is fine. The other remote does not lock/unlock the car doors anymore. Battery is fine and the light comes on when buttons are pressed but I can not lock/unlock the doors and liftgate either through remote or by pressing the button in the door handle. However, I can drive the car using that key.

The KEY indicator in the dashboard works properly, it comes off after a few seconds nad stays off while driving.

Is there a way for me to reprogram the remote to lock/unlock the doors?

Thanks,

Not sure on your 2008, but the steps I followed for programming an additional (3rd) remote for a 2014 required 2 working remotes. That seems to be the requirement on most vehicle makes. So without two working programmed remotes, you're probably going to have to make a trip to the dealer.
'
This is why it's always a good idea to get a 3rd remote programmed for your car - so if one dies, you'll have two good ones available to program a replacement 3rd remote by yourself instead of going to the dealer.

The same applies to the keys as well. If you don't have a 3rd key (even just a plain key with transponder - not necessarily a compact AUX key), I would get one. You can usually pick them up for $15-30 bucks on eBay or from aftermarket sellers that specialize in keys and remotes and program it yourself. But, if you wait until one key's transponder dies, or the key is lost, you're only option will be to go to the dealer. My personal preference is to have 3 remotes and 4 keys - and keep the spares stored separately from your daily use key/keychain.

Wish there was a like/thanks button for @Scotch3's above post ^

Making me think I should get that third transponder sooner rather than later even though mine is brand new.

Thanks voldsom! Always keep an ace in the hole! Too late to buy insurance WHEN you need it.

I have seen people post prices quoted from dealers across the board from $100 to buy & program a simple key, to hundreds of dollars to completely "reset/reprogram" the whole car. You never know when "stuff" is going to happen. This past summer, my stepfather was leaning ever so slightly on his trolling motor while pulling up the anchor. Well the trolling motor collapsed and overboard he went... with his iPhone in is pocket. Ouch! Fortunately, the key-fob remote was safe and sound in the boat and not in his pocket.

If you end up purchasing a compact "aux" key that goes with the remote, take it to a local ACE or other hardware store that still uses the old fashioned key cutting machines. That compact aux key for the "thumb-shaped" smart key doesn't get along with the automated cartridge style key cutters that all of the big box stores use.

I got lucky and picked up a used Mazda remote on eBay for $55 and got a pair of New OEM "Aux" keys for the remote for $30. A couple dollars for cutting and I was done for about $90.

Last edited:
Hi Scotch3,

Thanks for the reply. I understand that, after reading most of the posts on the subject in this forum. There is one detail of my situation that is different from the others and I am not sure if it makes a difference:

My second remote can not open/close the doors only. If the doors are open, I can use this remote to start and drive the car without any issues and the KEY indicator in the dash stays off.

I normally use the remote starter to start the car and unlock the doors so the only annoyance with the second remote is locking the car (I need to use the actual key to do so).

My second remote can not open/close the doors only. If the doors are open, I can use this remote to start and drive the car without any issues and the KEY indicator in the dash stays off.

When you say the second remote do you mean the "card type smart key", or, the "flip keyfob with lock/unlock buttons"?

If it is the flip keyfob, are you able to manually unlock lock the door using the actual metal key (not the buttons)? If you can do this, and as you mentioned above that you can drive, then your keyfob has gone bad and you would need to buy another. Apparently it is a common occurrence.

When you say the second remote do you mean the "card type smart key", or, the "flip keyfob with lock/unlock buttons"?

If it is the flip keyfob, are you able to manually unlock lock the door using the actual metal key (not the buttons)? If you can do this, and as you mentioned above that you can drive, then your keyfob has gone bad and you would need to buy another. Apparently it is a common occurrence.

It's the card type smart key. The metal key does open the doors, so does my remote starter remote. It is strange as it worked again one day and then stoped. I will try again to replace the battery and see if it works again.

I see alot of "casing" for this smart card being sold on eBay. Maybe the buttons eventually stop working after prolonged usage (lock, unclock, etc).

The casing on eBay allows you to transfer the gutts over. I would suggest trying this shell for $20 before you dish out the $500 for the smartkey. I myself haven't tried these new shells/casings.

Back