Replacing tires on my '07 FWD

adscft

I took my cx7 in for oil change and tire rotation today, and just got a call from the dealer says that my tires need to be replaced instead of rotated (well I did notice that the small treads are gone, but I guessed I could get another 5k mi on them since I just passed the 25k mi tick). The dealer also gave me some quotes on tires that they have (around 600~700 for tires and labor), but I didn't want to do this before doing some research. Does any of you have any recommendations?

Also, the dealer suggested me to replace my engine air filter ($38) and AC cabin filter ($45), and I asked him to replace the air filter but keep the cabin filter. I never did any service at dealer except for oil change and tire rotation, so I wonder if these quotes are reasonable?

These are all things that you could source for much cheaper on your own...

My dealer told me that my brake pads needed to be replaced even though I had just put new ones 2000 miles ago. I am convinced that they just look at the mileage and make blanket recommendations.

Check out tirerack.com and onlinetires.com for cheaper tire options.

Pep boys can provide you with a cheaper air filter.

The in cabin air filter...eh..I am not sure how difficult it would be on the cx-7 so maybe have them do that or poke around the forum for a write up on how to do it.

Thank you for your reply. I didn't plan to do the tire replacement at the dealership. I'd rather go to discount tires or other places ... But I'd like to know what tires you guys choose and how do they ride. I know the stock tires are just not good ...

I just checked the price for an air filter on some website, it is $16. So I guess I am not that ripped off.

These are all things that you could source for much cheaper on your own...

My dealer told me that my brake pads needed to be replaced even though I had just put new ones 2000 miles ago. I am convinced that they just look at the mileage and make blanket recommendations.

Check out tirerack.com and onlinetires.com for cheaper tire options.

Pep boys can provide you with a cheaper air filter.

The in cabin air filter...eh..I am not sure how difficult it would be on the cx-7 so maybe have them do that or poke around the forum for a write up on how to do it.

I am running Khumo Adv tires in the 235/60/18 std size and have been pleased with them for the last 11,000 miles.

both air filters are very easy to do yourself. the owners manual has instructions for both, and i'd expect that you could get both for a total of like $20-$30, not the $80 they are quoting.

tires could need it, but i doubt that at 25,000 miles you'd need em, unless they are badly out of alignment/balance. do the old lincolns head test with a penny, or have them show you the measurements.

Thanks to all for your replies.

I got my car back with the air filter replaced for $38 ($12 labor and $25 part) plus tax. Well, next time I will do it myself. I think I can get the cabin filter from Amazon for below $15 and and do it myself as well.

I also got the quotes for tires from the dealership. They had Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 for $632, Kumho Ecsta STX KL12 for $640, Bridgestone Turanza and Goodyear Eagle GT for over $700. The quotes have mounting and balancing included. I've checked Tirerack, who has both Kumho's for about $120 each. So I guess the dealership's quotes on tires are more reasonable?

BTW, on the check up report, the tire tread was listed as 2/32". Actually I have a snap of the tire as attached. Looks like it is greater than 2/32"?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 773
Last edited:
Yes you are right. I checked the report again. It say 4/32". Apparently Mazda recommends a tire replacement when it is less than 4/32". So I guess I will keep running on these tires ...

The wear bars are susposed to be at 2/32 inch and you appear to not be there yet.

I bought my tires at TireRack. Goodyear Eagle ResponseEdge, IIRC. They were $150 each shipped. They have 30k miles on them and have twice the remaining tread left that the factory RS-A's had at 25k.

I'd definitely recommend them.

I bought Kumho tires for my 2008 CX7 GT. Very pleased with them. I paid about $500 for 4 tires and shipping. Another $150 maybe for install and balancing. Tirerack.com

Back