Replacing Struts

joneb4evr

:
02 Mazda Protege5
What's going on fellas! I'm going to have to change out my struts. The thing is, its only the right side of the car that's bouncing. So I was planning on just changing those two out, but I don't know if later on the left side will go bad. Should I just change out all four? How long would it take to get them all done? Any hints or tips that I should know about before tackling the task? I know I need to get new end links. I'm thinking of going with the least expensive struts that the local auto parts stores have because its just a daily driver. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Or how about I get the back ones done first, then later get the front ones done. The reason I say is because I'm a little low on cash and I also need to fix an exhaust leak and change out one or both of my o2 sensors. And possibly buy a roof rail/rack ;)

It's best to do all 4 at once. If you have 2 that are worn out, the other 2 probably aren't far behind.

I found it very straight forward. The only issue I had was removing the bolts out of the front knuckles- the interferred with the brake calipers (so I put the bolts in from the opposite direction after I got the brake caliper out of the way). I've done suspension work on several other cars though, so maybe that's why I found it so easy.

i have tokico illumina on my ride and i replaced all of mine myself in my driveway with a manual spring compressor. It took me about an hour and a half for each strut, and thats with some problems but i have done it for some of my friends and there cars and at most u should be lookin at an hour and a half for each, if you know what ur doin, no offense.

none taken! ive done some pretty moderate mechanical work. i'll have to rent the spring compressor. thanks for the tips. much appreciated :)

What's the going rate to have someone just do the spring compression & swap on a pair of struts? i.e. how long does it take, or flat rate. Save me the renting/buying of compressor and plus that's one part I don't care to screw up.

Back