Replacing Mazdaspeed tires.

rjspeed

I am replacing my 215/45/17 bridgestones this week. I got 45k miles out of them and also did 6 auto-x events with them. I am looking for decent wet grip but outstanding high grip. Should I get Goodyear Eagle GS3D or Bridgestone Potenza S03 or go up to a 225/45/17 and the the new Falken Azenis or the BF Goodrich KD's? Anyone with any of these tires please let me know as this would be of great help.
Ryan

Goodyear F1-G3's are the most expensive, but hands down the best tire period.

A lot of people have been replacing their stock potenzas with Toyo Proxies (sp?) because they run about 80 bucks a piece and have very similar if not better handling characteristics. Tirerack.com is your friend and has a lot of usful reviews on wet traction , wear, and road noise, etc.

If i could afford them, i would get the goodyears, or the potenza's. But i'll prolly end up bouncing around on Toyo's.

I am not as concerned about the price. I like to have the one of the best tires as you really need them to maximize the suspension on the Mazdaspeed. I also have 17" rims and snows for the winter so I dont care about snow traction. The only thing I have heard about the GSD3 is that the sidwaal is not very stiff which I wish it was. I just wish they made the Falken Azenis in out size. Those are the best tires Ive ever owned. I have them on my 15" K1 racing wheels on my Celica GT-S and they are awesome. I will probably get the Goodyears.

Did more reasearch and made my mind. I did not get the goodyears as they have a weak sidewall. I went with BFGoodrich g-force T/A KDW2. Dry traction is number 1 besides the KDW last version which they dont make in our size and was equal in the wet. only$133 per tire as they were on sale. Cant wait to put them on. Ill have a full review after I auto-X with them.

tire choice

rjspeed said:
I am replacing my 215/45/17 bridgestones this week. I got 45k miles out of them and also did 6 auto-x events with them. I am looking for decent wet grip but outstanding high grip. Should I get Goodyear Eagle GS3D or Bridgestone Potenza S03 or go up to a 225/45/17 and the the new Falken Azenis or the BF Goodrich KD's? Anyone with any of these tires please let me know as this would be of great help.
Ryan

if you needed an all-season tire, I would definately recommend pirelli p-zero nero's. switched for PA winter, and I have been very happy with wet/dry handling, and ride/road noise is much improved. they also were quite good in the snow, but as you have separate snow tires....

wiadro said:
if you needed an all-season tire, I would definately recommend pirelli p-zero nero's. switched for PA winter, and I have been very happy with wet/dry handling, and ride/road noise is much improved. they also were quite good in the snow, but as you have separate snow tires....

Thank you for the help. Ive already ordered the KDW-2. I should get them tomorrow. Cant wait to put them on and give a review. I also cant wait to put my Brembo cross drilled rotora on the front and rear of the Celica GT-S and see how they feel.

I'm going with a set of Kumho MX tires when I replace my OEM rubber later this year.

I researched and they look to be the best for the auto-x and daily driving I'll be doing.

good choice on the KDW-2s, i would get them but they're a bit pricey for me. i'm going with ecsta mxs on a set of p5 rims. not a bad price for the durability/grip of the ecstas

jflo said:
good choice on the KDW-2s, i would get them but they're a bit pricey for me. i'm going with ecsta mxs on a set of p5 rims. not a bad price for the durability/grip of the ecstas

The KDW 2's were on sale for 133. Not too bad IMO.

ONRAILS said:
I've got the kdw's... couldn't be happier.

Better wet and dry grip then stock right? I am putting them on tonight. Cant wait. I auotx 5 or 6 times on the stock tires and they laster 48000 miles I was shocked. How long did yours last?

yep... better grip overall. Also lasts much longer. I have about 6k on mine, and show no signs of wear. My stock ones lasted only 24k (some tread left), and I only autox'ed once. Then again... my neighborhood is like a big autox. lol

rjspeed said:
Better wet and dry grip then stock right? I am putting them on tonight. Cant wait. I auotx 5 or 6 times on the stock tires and they laster 48000 miles I was shocked. How long did yours last?

ONRAILS said:
yep... better grip overall. Also lasts much longer. I have about 6k on mine, and show no signs of wear. My stock ones lasted only 24k (some tread left), and I only autox'ed once. Then again... my neighborhood is like a big autox. lol

The mazdaspeed is my wifes car and she doesnt drive as "spirited" as I do. So that is probably why. She is driving more aggresive now because she is used to the car.

rjspeed said:
Ryan
This just doesnt make sense... how can you have lasted 46 thousand miles plus autox.... I raced and launched a few times on my car, but they still only lasted 15 thousand miles or maybe less? Someone please clarify this for me.

he said he has snow shoes. btw im running toyo proxes 225 45 17 and they fit nicely. lots of grip from that little bit wider tire

INGREXCO said:
he said he has snow shoes. btw im running toyo proxes 225 45 17 and they fit nicely. lots of grip from that little bit wider tire

That's what I've beed running last year and I agree with you. The only thing I find is that the size 225 raises slightly the car, which I don't like...

StreakinOraNgeX said:
This just doesnt make sense... how can you have lasted 46 thousand miles plus autox.... I raced and launched a few times on my car, but they still only lasted 15 thousand miles or maybe less? Someone please clarify this for me.

I got 45k out of the stock tires and I have 8k on the snows (I have 53000 miles on the car) I dont know how I did it. I always rotate the tires and check pressure constantly so this has a lot to do with it. My wife drove most of the miles and she drives normal and really payes attention to the tires/car. She doesnt just drive and forget about anything she actually checks stuff and lets me know if the car is OK. I have trained her well.

Latest posts

Back