Replacement Seats 2004 MSM

RipCordRage

:
Mazda, Miata MX-5 MazdaSpeed
Hey,
So, I started putting almost 1000 miles every couple of weeks running around town and my neck and shoulders are straight killing me! I'm so miserable with these, I think they're Riccaro seats, that I can't see straight...my chiropractor and massage therapist love the business, but I need an alternative...

Please post up any and all replacement seats, preferable with shoulder and adjustable neck support.

TIA

P.S. Anybody know how I can get the 2008 MSP Seats into my 2004 MSM let me know...the bolts don't line up, but the seats are identically wide....tips / tricks

Last edited:
wow... i've actually been trying to keep my eyes open for a wrecked msm to steal the seats out of cos i thought they were so much more comfortable than my regular mx-5's.

as far as swapping seats... see if the seat mount rails detach, maybe can swap the rails over and they will fit?

Do you mean ms3 seats? Those may be a little too chunky for an MSM. I'd worry about depth issues, especially if you are on the taller side.

Take the MSP seats off the rails, and try to put them on the MSM rails.

So, the seats may be more comfortable for some than others, I'm 5'11" and I believe the MSM seats (red/black) were designed for someone wearing a helmet. For me personally, I have no neck or shoulder support...

So here are the measurements:

Seat Bolts
MSM Front bolt spacing: 33.5cm
MSM Front to back spacing: 42cm
MSM Back bolt spacing: 34.5cm

MSP Bolts
MSP Front bolt spacing: 40cm
MSP Front to back spacing:unknown
MSP Back bolt spacing: 43cm
MSP Rails 42.5cm wide straight back

MSM Seat Specs
Top of Thigh support to floor 16cm
Top of seat to floor 92mc
Width of Thigh Support 50cm
Width of LoveHandle support 49cm

MSP Seat Specs
Width of Thigh Support 50cm
Width of LoveHandle Support 51cm
Width of Shoulder Support 50cm

For some dumb reason I just realized that when the service guy and I were taking the measurements he didn't write down the height of the MSP...I think it was 3" higher than the MSM though

Also, as it turns out, I can't just order 1 compete seat...the parts guy was like there are 200+ individual parts for this seat, so my quote was ~ $800/seat w/o install/labor/fabrication

Ok, what are your thoughts :)

P.S. I'll probably be offering up these seats to anyone who wants a Recaro (Red/Black) Seat, they really are great looking and probably pretty lightweight for shaving a few extra pounds off :)

I seriously doubt you're going to get a bolt in seat that you need in the MSM... If you like the MSP seats, get them and make custom brackets to fit them on the MSM seat rails.

Hi Mark,
Sorry for the late reply, pics of the current seats or the new ones? I have the stock red/black Recaros as well...

I think I'm going to try and fab a hybrid bracket and hope to retain the slider bar of the Recaro's with the new seats...

While I'm at it, I'm thinking about adding some sound-deadening material to quiet the cabin a bit...anybody have any recommendations for that?

Thanks in advance

Hi Mark,
Sorry for the late reply, pics of the current seats or the new ones? I have the stock red/black Recaros as well...

I think I'm going to try and fab a hybrid bracket and hope to retain the slider bar of the Recaro's with the new seats...

While I'm at it, I'm thinking about adding some sound-deadening material to quiet the cabin a bit...anybody have any recommendations for that?

Thanks in advance

Well, I get to pick up my MS3 seats (hopefully) this weekend, and I found a shop locally who said they would help me if I get in a bind :)

I found most shops do not like messing with 'non-factory' or custom seats due to the liability etc bah!

I'll post up pics when/if I get this done :)

OK, quick question, before I rip apart my current black/red Recaro seats....Does ANYONE have pics of the inside frame? I've got the MSP seats here, but the frames are damaged :( fabric & foam is flawless...My wife thinks I'll have this done by summer...I sure hope not :)

Back