Replacement for G91a tires

laf

:
Cx-5 GS Awd
Hi, I will have to change my tires soon as they are getting pretty worn. The g91a didnt last very long. What is a great replacement for a 2017 CX-5 awd.

Thank you.

Hi, I will have to change my tires soon as they are getting pretty worn. The g91a didnt last very long. What is a great replacement for a 2017 CX-5 awd.

Thank you.
For 225/65R17 tires on your 2017 CX-5 AWD, here is a partial list of comparison table here:

225/65R17 Comparison Table

For 225/55R19, plenty of info here:

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

These 2 tables are a bit outdated. Personally, I’d choose either General AltiMAX RT43 (H-rated for 225/65R17 102H, NOT T-rated!) or
Continental CrossContact
LX25 based on my personal experience and many reviews by members.

Tire Recommendations?

Continental CrossContact LX25 vs Michelin CrossClimate SUV (17 inch)?

Continental Crosscontact LX25 Tires

There’s $50 Visa prepaid card manufacture rebate on purchasing General AltiMAX RT43 tires between 3/1/2021 ~ 4/30/2021. You can get this rebate when you buy General tires from any tire stores.

GET UP TO A $70 VISA® PREPAID CARD With the purchase of 4 qualifying passenger General Tires

If you decide to get General AltiMAX RT43 225/65R17 102H tires, make sure to add a couple of more psi’s than factory recommended tire pressure (36 ~ 37 psi cold instead of 34 psi) for the best performance from your new RT43 tires.

Bite the pillow, get Michelins. Nothing rides better, and they are worth every single extra penny.

I put Pirelli Scorpions (17") on my 16 CX-5. They're decent, quiet, good bite and fairly priced.

Thank you.
I would guess your best option could have a lot to do with your location and driving needs.

You wore the OEM out prematurely. They are fairly average in terms of treadwear rating. Do you want a longer wearing tire?

I would guess your best option could have a lot to do with your location and driving needs.

You wore the OEM out prematurely. They are fairly average in terms of treadwear rating. Do you want a longer wearing tire?
I would say they lasted 30000km at the most. I am interested in a good overall tire. Of course if its i a little "sporty" as well its good.

The 17" Yoko Geo91 tires lasted about 43k miles on mine. Some people on this forum have reported even more miles. I'm ok with that kind of mileage but a few more miles would mean less overall time spent getting replacements. Still, the older the tires the noisier.

Do you have paved roads in your area? 30000km is not a lot of distance for a modern radial tire.

The OP hasn’t specified how or why his tires are “pretty worn”. What is the current tread depth? Is the wear even across the tread, in the center or on one side? Has he ever rotated his tires? What pressure does he keep them inflated to? Are they showing signs of a poor alignment?

Too many unanswered questions to really help the OP other than just a guess - he may have the same short life with any new tire.

The 17" Yoko Geo91 tires lasted about 43k miles on mine. Some people on this forum have reported even more miles. I'm ok with that kind of mileage but a few more miles would mean less overall time spent getting replacements. Still, the older the tires the noisier.

Do you have paved roads in your area? 30000km is not a lot of distance for a modern radial tire.
Everything is paved.
The OP hasn’t specified how or why his tires are “pretty worn”. What is the current tread depth? Is the wear even across the tread, in the center or on one side? Has he ever rotated his tires? What pressure does he keep them inflated to? Are they showing signs of a poor alignment?

Too many unanswered questions to really help the OP other than just a guess - he may have the same short life with any new tire.
They are done. The Mazda shop owner told me that most of his customers had these tires worn out with even less milage than mine. Mileage is not a big selling point, but less than 30k is not much.

Everything is paved.

They are done. The Mazda shop owner told me that most of his customers had these tires worn out with even less milage than mine. Mileage is not a big selling point, but less than 30k is not much.
The Dunlops on my 2016 Mazda6 wore out at less than 20K miles. Those I really complained about to no avail

With “280 B A” on UTQG, you simply can’t expect too much on factory Yokohama Geolandar G91A tires. 280 treadwear usually gives you 28K miles, anything over is a bonus.

I've been using Continental True Contact on my Pilot and CX-5 for years and have been really happy. I JUST put Uniroyal Tiger Paws on the Mazda. I've had them in the past and liked them, and wanted to save some money...

I've been using Continental True Contact on my Pilot and CX-5 for years and have been really happy. I JUST put Uniroyal Tiger Paws on the Mazda. I've had them in the past and liked them, and wanted to save some money...
I’ve got 17k on my CX-5’s 19” True Contacts. Love ‘em.

My wife wore out a set of 17” True Contacts on her RAV4 in 40k miles. She loved ‘em too. Discount Tire prorated them 50% at 4/32nds wear towards a set of Continental Crosscontact LX-25’s which she likes even better. I’ll replace my TC’s with LX-25’s when they get down to 4/32.

@PaulZooms I needed to save $$ where I could, and since I'm making the switch to summer & winter rims I decided to try the TigerPaws. I've had them in the past on my Integra GS-R and liked them. I will update the forum in 10-20k miles!

I've easily gotten 60k miles out of my True Contacts everytime.

Think about the General Altimax RT43 (?) tires. Pretty good and a lot cheaper than Continentals.

General Altimax served me well.
Since Continental have owned General since 1987 you'd think that General would have incorporated some of those finer qualities of Continental tires by now. Still.....even though they are a bit more expensive I'd choose the Continental CC LX25's over the Altimax RT43's as they rate a tad higher overall and have a V speed rating.

Last edited:
Bite the pillow, get Michelins. Nothing rides better, and they are worth every single extra penny.
You are right....to a point. I have run Michelins for years and put Michelin Premier LTX's on my last CX-5. They gave a super ride and I absolutely loved them, BUT, they wore out WAY to quickly, as many other users have confirmed. That was too much of a compromise for me, so no more Premier LTX's for me. I have been researching the new Michelin CrossClimate 2's but many have suggested that they have too harsh a ride and are NOT very quiet. So....at the moment it looks like the Conti CC LX25's are the best bet overall, yet I will keep my eye out for any new Michelin products over the summer, as I will probably need to replace my OEM Toyo's by the the fall.

Last edited:
Back