Replace Front/Rear turn signals weird bulb type?

nXt

:
2014 CX-5 Touring FWD Tech Pkg
So the Rear Turn Signal is bulb type WY21W, on ebay searching for that comes with with lights 7440, 7441, 7443, what's a good proper conversion? Anyone replace theirs yet? I'd like to get AMBER LED

The fronts are 1157NA, I also want to change them to AMBER LED.

Also will I need resistors? Any suggestions? (2014 Touring model, USA)

I JUST finished installing mine today (I had the resistors mounted just didn't get around to wiring). I have no longer incandacent's on my vehicle. You will want LED type 7440 (Rears). These are what I got https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) . You could get some with more LEDS, but jus for a flasher these are good enough imo. I wanted Red on, Amber flash switchbacks, but I would have had to splice the rear running lights to do that, and then unblock the 3rd hole in the connector to add another wire. The resistor is easy, 2 wires that tap into the ground and power wires already there, and they come with these little splicing clips, no tools required to do the wires. You will want to mount the resistors on a metal surface (I used the metal plate that project out near the brake lights) https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) . You can probably get cheaper ones, just those 6 ohm ones work perfectly. If you do the fronts, there are 3 wires, I have them written down let me know and remove the guess work (unless you have a volt meter). I used switchbacks for the front.

EX:

Thanks for the help, I'll order the rears tomorrow.
Think I'll stay away from the fronts, I don't want a lot of wires dangling.
Probably just get some chrome colored bulbs that flash amber instead.

Wires will only dangle if you don't wrap some E-tape on them (the hard part about the fronts is heir location and the length of the wire when working on it).

Do you mind taking a picture of the wiring area of your front turn signal? I just want to see how 'messy', if at all, it is.
Thanks

I actually never finished wrapping mine back up, after I finally got the guesswork done and lights working, I planned to do it later but haven't yet. I'll try to get a picture later, but the area is very obstructed, which makes it difficult to do esp if you have large or fat hands (unless you take the time to remove the obstructions).

One thing when it comes to LEDs is don't cheap out. Most of the stuff off of eBay is garbage. It may look fine at night but daytime visibility is what's important, especially for signals and brake lights.

Chris_Top_Her I'd love to see how your signals look in direct sunlight compared to the incandescent.

They are 5000k (white) LED's.. they are more visible in daylight than a say 500 lumen (yellow) incandescent drl that will be washed by the sun. Here in Texas it gets very bright and they show well.
EDIT It should be noted my DRL's, are not my high beams.. so in hindsight, if you just replace your DRL"S with Led's, you will lose your high beams function, and your led's will not typically shine as far as your incandescent, aside from being more visible against the sun. There is a thread about lighting for upgrading non tech lights.

That's what I did not finish wrapping, I actually had to stick my camera in there to take that, although at the time of installation they were fresh with lithium grease so, they will probably be easier to wrap now (aside from trying to maneuver my hand in there). Also, on of th wires I forgot to fish through the hole, but I had already spliced everything and it's just aesthetics so I left it. If you don't have HIDS, I may be easier to install b/c I think part of the hid assembly is blocking the best access. The rear lights are enclosed so nothing to worry about really.

Last edited:
That's all fine and and dandy but I want to see how your signals look, not the DRLs. Cheap LEDs that don't take full advantage of the reflector surface tend to get washed out very easily in sunlight. On that same topic, I'd love to see how your brake lights are in comparison to the incandescent as well

Chris, I asked in the other thread but Don't think I received an answer. When the indicators are engaged, are the white SMD's lit while the amber SMD's are lit also?

Off topic, anyone replace their brake lights yet? the big huge brake lights, not the side red ones.
Just wondering, is the bulb white inside?
And if you did replace them, which one did you buy? Bulb type. Manual says W21/5W and #7443, so either one is fine? ijdmtoy lets you pick W21/5W and it lists 3157 bulbs

Off topic, anyone replace their brake lights yet? the big huge brake lights, not the side red ones.
Just wondering, is the bulb white inside?
And if you did replace them, which one did you buy? Bulb type. Manual says W21/5W and #7443, so either one is fine? ijdmtoy lets you pick W21/5W and it lists 3157 bulbs
I bought these http://bit.ly/YacPEG
They're bright & the lowest I see on eBay.

Thanks, ordered.

One more question, does anyone think the OEM rear turn signals during the daytime it looks really low? (not bright)? In the dark, it's nice and bright as heck.
I haven't checked but probably bc the portion of the taillight where the signal is, is tinted.

Oh also the CREE taillight bulbs, make sure the polarity is right bc I thought they didn't work at first, but I turned them around & they worked fine.

Chris, I asked in the other thread but Don't think I received an answer. When the indicators are engaged, are the white SMD's lit while the amber SMD's are lit also?
When I turn on the left blinker for example, the let blinker blinks amber only, not white shows. About .5-1 Sec after the blinker is off it returns to white.

I have not replaced my brake lights as I wasn't sure if the LED would get brighter when the brake is applied, otherwise they would just look like they are on. The picture shows the signal engaged, the light has a bunch of LEDS on it, alternating amber/white along the cylinder.

I have not replaced my brake lights as I wasn't sure if the LED would get brighter when the brake is applied, otherwise they would just look like they are on. The picture shows the signal engaged, the light has a bunch of LEDS on it, alternating amber/white along the cylinder.

Your picture didn't work.

Hi there, do you think this 3157 Led can fit into CX-5 rear brake housing? I'm think to change this on to my CX-5. Do you know what the size of the brake housing?

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Besides, I'm planning to change the Front & Rear Turn Signal Light to LED. May I know what is the housing sizes? I scare later the LED bulb I bought too big to fit into it.

Thanks!

Back