Removing stock radio from 2003 Protege

Hey guys,

Does anyone have a link to a document that would help me remove my stock 2003 protege radio?

Regards,

-John

AUDIO UNIT REMOVAL
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the hole covers by inserting a small
tape-wrapped screwdriver into the slot and
carefully pry them off without scratching the
center panel. Pry up and pull off the hole covers
carefully to prevent the posts from breaking off.
3. With the beveled parts of the SST facing inward,
insert them into the unit.
Note
Two sets of the SSTs are necessary to
remove the audio unit.
4. Pull the SST outward and forward to slide out the
unit.
5. Disconnect the connectors and antenna jack.

Attachments

• Radio Removal.JPG
    Radio Removal.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 7,001
  • Radio Removal2.JPG
    Radio Removal2.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 6,870
Last edited:
I need to remove a stock unit from a 2002 Protege5. Are the steps the same? also, I am a newbie and don't know what an SST is. What does that mean and where can I get one (actually four, i guess) thanks!

armyrn13 said:
I need to remove a stock unit from a 2002 Protege5. Are the steps the same? also, I am a newbie and don't know what an SST is. What does that mean and where can I get one (actually four, i guess) thanks!

go to walmart, they have the removal tool pretty cheap. i think it was $4 or something, and yes the steps are the same. carefull when you pop the sides off tho, i have a couple of small dents in my vinyl now from prying with the screwdriver. i'd suggest maybe something to put between the screwdriver and your dash... like a nice thick, clean rag or anything to give it some padding.

For some reason the flanges that you push out with the tools were bent on my stock radio. To get mine out I had to remove the glovebox and a kick panel to attack them with a huge flathead screwdriver.

I guess I did it the hard way. I disconnected the A/C controls, and pulled the entire bezel out, with radio and A/C knobs still attached, then, from behind the bezel, I just squeezed the sides of the radio with my fingers, and pushed it out. No marks.

You'll probably have to remove it anyways to put in an aftermarket single-din kit.

Help... P5 radio will not come out!!!

Have 4 keys, passenger side keys go in maybe 1/2" and stop, and easy comes loose. Drivers side keys both upper and lower don't stop. Its like there are no tabs... Now what? $800 to best buy!?? NOT!! Help! Thanks

Update. If some jackass used a pick as a pry bar to get out your radio... Like my PO did, pull the cover from the lower steering column, and reach up and push the metal tabs and have a buddy pull on the radio... What a pain

I had the same problem. Geek Squad (at Best Buy) installed my new unit for $50 which was well worth it. I had all the necessary pieces (harness, kit, etc)

I've never tried to mess with my stock stereo for my Mazda Protege 2003 LX but I got the Alpine CDE 121. I think I generally get how to get the stock headunit out. Im wondering how to wire my Alpine so it works. Ive seen a bunch of wiring charts but they were like for miatas and 626s. Does anyone have a like very basic wiring chart that is dummy proof lol. Also Im pretty sure i need a harness to keep it in place. What size harness should I get and where from?

Cozorth, you just need a vehicle specific wiring harness. The "harness" is not a support, it is a connector with wires that plugs into your factory wiring. Included in the package will be instructions on how to connect it to the harness supplied with your new radio. It's just a matter of connecting the colored wires to each other and securing them in place with crimp terminals or solder.

When it comes to "support", some radios will require support in the rear. The factory Protege radio has a knob on the back with a rubber washer on it. Most aftermarket radios have a screw hole in the same location. Locate the appropriate bolt at your hardware store for your radio and use the rubber washer that was on the factory radio. It will slide into a groove at the back of your dash and keep the radio from sagging.

Back