Removing stereo - how difficult / safe?

mts3

:
08 CX-9 GT AWD, 04 Audi A4
Our new-to-us 08 with nav has the Sirius installed without the switch box. Therefore the aux is disabled.

My intention is to pull the stereo and disconnect the Sirius and reconnect the aux input into the 16-pin connector.

I have read the installation instructions for the Sirius and the iPod integration module and see that one of the first steps is to remove the two wood trim pieces. I just hate to go yanking on those things considering what I paid for this vehicle just yesterday!!

Anybody done it? How safe is it to just start pulling on these pieces?

The two wood pieces are the least of your worries. They pull off straight back horizontally. Use a wide flat plastic blade or your fingers to pry them off.

Getting the rest of the stack off is the trick. There are 4 screws, 2 on each side, and 3 at the bottom. Pull the top of the console around the shifter (not the actual black and chrome gate) up, starting at the back edge.. The silver trim around the shift gate is loosely attached to the top panel, so don't pull on that.

The rubber storage bin is also attached to the top piece. Once the cover is loose, carefully lift the rubber part up and out. Do NOT put anything in that bin, or you will drop it down into the shifter assembly.

Once thats off, there is an odd screw on the right side below that cover, and two at the base of each side connecting the stack to the center console. Once free, gently pry the stack from the bottom. The whole thing comes free all the way past the center dash speaker grill. You will have to unplug the Power Outlet, A/C Controls, and Hazard Switch as you work your way up. You will probably have to move the shifter back to clear the stack as it comes off.

Once free, there are 4 screws holding the head unit in (Non Nav Unit, anyway). Once those screws are out, you can pull the head unit out, but there isn't a lot of slack in the wiring. Remember to record your radio presets before you disconnect the battery.

Don't poke around below the stack. The Air Bag Control Module is on the hump below it.

Thanks. That was super easy. Your instructions were right on, supplementing the PDF file I found on this site for visuals.

Now I have AUX in.

Yep. It was back there wrapped up in the foam tape just like the Sirius install instructions said to do. I just swapped back to the AUX and wrapped the Sirius connector in the foam tape.

It's there if I ever want to go back. For now the wife wants to be able to plug in her iPhone.

I'd much rather have the Aux. Jack. Sat Radio doesn't seem worth it to me with iPods, regular radio, and CD's, particularly when XM/Sirius may not be around much longer.

We can plug our iPod Shuffle in and listen to 20 CDs non stop.

Help!

How do I get this thing back together???

Attachments

• CIMG0387.jpg
    CIMG0387.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 986
Dude....You're screwed!

Perhaps a visit to your dealer Service Department is in-line at this time....

haha. Yes I took that pic when I did my iPod DICE install a year ago. It was pretty scary taking the whole dash apart of a new 40k car.
I did manage to get most of it back together and now I have some spare screws.

sorry it took me 3 years to respond but I've been a little busy. ANyway I didn't end up with any spare screws. That is just an old joke people say when they put something complex back together. Looking back, I removed this radio to get to the back in order to mount a Dice iPod controller which was so horribly slow and had such a bad interface that I simply use it as a dumb AUZ input and charger for my iPod. My mother just got a 2014 CX-5 and the iPod interface loads your playlists on the NAV screen and also plays songs from your iPhone via bluetooth quite seamlessly. It is exactly what I wanted for my CX-9 but it is 5 years too late. Mazda is always a few years behind when it comes to electronics. I remember my 2008 didn't even come with a trip computer to estimate miles left before empty and Mazda claimed its customers didn't want this feature.

Latest posts

Back