Removing DP

Ghetto Mods

:
Mazdaspeed 3
O.K. got a corksport DP on the way and wondering just how much of a PITA this thing will be to remove. Have read mostly horror stories on here.

So I'm assuming I'll need to get an O2 sensor socket (is this one size fits all or what's the specific size for MS3?) and some decent penetrant like PB Blaster or Kroil.

Very paranoid about the O2 sensors and the studs (that narrow neck in the middle looks like a sheared stud waiting to happen). Anything smart I can do to make it easier?

Also, how hard is it to reach all that crap. the MS3 engine bay is def. 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag!!

Thanks!!

Use lots of penetrating oil, pre-soak if you can. The O2's are standard size. The studs were the pain in the ass for me. I'm guessing you saw that blown up image of the engine, the studs don't have really that narrow neck. 2 of the downpipe studs were a little difficult to get to, but that was about it. The CS provided instructions are good, follow them and you should be golden.

What he said. For me one of the studs was a b**** and so was a bolt or two for various heatshields. PB blaster worked awesome for me and getting the O2s out...I have had never done it before and they came out really easy, I just followed Corksports instructions.

i did this, and this tool was a life saver:
IMG_0486.jpg

i bought this from harbor freight tools, it was 25 bucks and came with 6 other sizes for free. it was worth every penny.

its a 1\2" drive 14mm deep well swivel impact socket. it works better than the u-joint swivel sockets as far as delivering torque to the nuts. also, there is a bracket that is on the stock DP that connects to a bracket on bearing mount supporting the axle. use this socket and a bunch of extensions to remove that bracket. that will help in the removal of the stock DP as well as the install of the new DP. PB blaster worked well for me... i blasted the 1st O2 sensor real soon, and i started working on the DP while the stuff was a little warm. i believe that helped. follow the instructions. buy some anti-seize for reinstalling the o2 sensors.

i did this, and this tool was a life saver:
IMG_0486.jpg

i bought this from harbor freight tools, it was 25 bucks and came with 6 other sizes for free. it was worth every penny.

its a 1\2" drive 14mm deep well swivel impact socket. it works better than the u-joint swivel sockets as far as delivering torque to the nuts. also, there is a bracket that is on the stock DP that connects to a bracket on bearing mount supporting the axle. use this socket and a bunch of extensions to remove that bracket. that will help in the removal of the stock DP as well as the install of the new DP. PB blaster worked well for me... i blasted the 1st O2 sensor real soon, and i started working on the DP while the stuff was a little warm. i believe that helped. follow the instructions. buy some anti-seize for reinstalling the o2 sensors.

Will buy! I can never have too many tools...

Thanks for the info!

Harbor Freight just owned me for $202...

I also got the SAE and Metric TITANIUM NITRIDE COATED ALLOY STEEL TAP & DIE SETs (SAE one is currently on Sale for $20 off). The metric one has the M18 1.5 for the O2 sensors just in case.

(cheers)

Last edited:
anti sieze everything that goes back on the bolts that go back into the turbo especcialy lossen o2 sensor and as many heat shield bolts as you can get to while still warm to the touch and it helps if turbo is still warm when tyou remove those bolts. im not say scalding hot to where you smell burnt flesh but start 30 mins to an hour after you had ran it to warm it up leavu hood open for that 30 mins to an hour and you loose a lot of heat once you start removing the intercoller and exposing more. and always the best bet is make sure you have everything you need before you start. dont rush work smart its not a race plan on an all day thing.

Last edited:
who wants to hear about the cat and O2 sensor replacement story on a ms6 i did at work?? LoL IT SUCKED!! lets say...cutting torch??

Hey MS3 or cold 12 can I borrow that tomorrow? Just got heat shields and o2 out. Oh and could you drop it off please, car is on jacks right now

whats the hold up? not trying to be pushy did you need some help or did you just get to a stopping point. (if incoherent sorry GF just woke me up after 2 hours sleep (3rd shift job))

Hey MS3 or cold 12 can I borrow that tomorrow? Just got heat shields and o2 out. Oh and could you drop it off please, car is on jacks right now

Considering that I am about a 1000 miles away from you and the parts are still in the mail, I would say you are SOL.

Back