removing cats...pros and cons?

Johnnybass

:
Red '03 Mazda Protege 5 (auto)
title says it all...pros and cons of removing cats? emissions? illegal?

i'll be purchasing the megan racing catback exhaust from AODfan soon (great deals and on the forums!) and wondering why you would and wouldn't remove them!

yes i'm still learning...haha

Yup, illegal, higher emmissions, car won't run right without modification due to the OBDII and O2 sensor not reading correct info. I'm sure it can be done, but it won't be bolt-on.

illegal emmissions (if your state tests) car shoots flames sometimes (atleast mine does) you will gain a little horsepower even being na but it all depends if having a cel and the risk of the cops screwing you is worth a few extra ponies??

Pros- More Power, Loud Exhaust

Cons- Wont Pass Emissions, Unless you know people who will pass you.

......Ive honestly never had cats on both my Proteges'..........But i would just find someone who would pass me.....even if it meant paying them alittle more money. The Power difference is extremely noticable.......well worth it.

And get MIL Eliminators to get rid of the CEL.

I'd like to remove my cat permenately!!! He's a big, fat, good for nothing, son of a b****. He'll srcatch you for no reason and he throws-up all over the ******' house. The only reason I haven't killed him with my bare hands is because my daughter loves him. (rant)

No cats here. Car runs fine, no CEL, no smell, no backfiring or flames.
Just loads more power at WOT and 12-15PSI.
I do shoot soot out on startup if there is condensation inside the muffler tip.
I just used the o2/anti fouler trick and no CEL. I was expecting to see more crap come out of the exhaust but so far after several thousand miles it has been no different than stock other than the harder pull.
I live in the boonies though so emissions laws are not as they are elsewhere.
A J-pipe/mid-pipe with a high flow cat will bolt right in and not cost a bundle for those wanting to keep a cat.
And as far as noise goes I can barely tell the difference. I was hoping it would have been a bit louder.

yashooa said:
No cats here. Car runs fine, no CEL, no smell, no backfiring or flames.
Just loads more power at WOT and 12-15PSI.
I do shoot soot out on startup if there is condensation inside the muffler tip.
I just used the o2/anti fouler trick and no CEL. I was expecting to see more crap come out of the exhaust but so far after several thousand miles it has been no different than stock other than the harder pull.
I live in the boonies though so emissions laws are not as they are elsewhere.
A J-pipe/mid-pipe with a high flow cat will bolt right in and not cost a bundle for those wanting to keep a cat.
And as far as noise goes I can barely tell the difference. I was hoping it would have been a bit louder.

the j-pipe/mid pipe sounds like its right up my alley...definitely want to keep the cat...i'm already illegal in my car most of the time (stoned) so i'll keep the cat...where can i find one? because i do want the power

323CiP5 said:
maybe a hi flow cat is a better alternative?

do you mean rather than the mid-pipe?

i think the mid-pipe has the high flow cat...

can you get just the high flow cat cheaper without the midpipe?

Emmissions wasnt created just to piss people off ya know...

I say if you remove all your cats you have no right to complain about smog ever.

That said, I did remove a precat when I installed my headers :p

i'm in NM which tests for emissions...I was told removing the pre-cat (just below the stock header) would not pass emissions. Was I misinformed? I would think just having the second cat (in the midpipe) would be good enough if you can get your engine hot enough before an emissions test.

Removing cats is a big no-no, removal of either or both is illegal. In MD you can easily get away with removal of the precat, and still pass emissions. I"ve got the OBX header on mine, which removed the precat, and I took out the VTCS, so my car isn't ULEV now.

Cat Removal pros and cons...

Pro's
Loud exhaust
more HP at high rpm

Con's
Loud exhaust
emissions legality
loss of low end torque

Back