removed air ram to battery box

Jasnall

:
Mazdaspeed 3 GT, True Red, 2008.5
It didnt know what else to call it but its the piece that branches off from the air scoop on the hood that puts air in the battery box.

so.... is that thing even necissary? does the battery get that hot, i've never seen a car with that.

anyway I took it off cause i thought it may give my coob sri some cold air from the scoop. This could happen right?

and my battery isnt gonna set on fire with out the extra air?(flame2)

well it is functional. When the battery is used it creates heat, heat will shorten the life of the battery, so thats why its there. At least take off the batter cover is its not enclosed.

Their is a removeable plastic panel, about 1.75" x 4", in front of the stock air intake, a bit towards center, you could remove to direct air from the grill area. Remove the top plastic pieces held by the pop-in plastic plugs and you will see it easily. It can be reinserted if you like..just snaps in place.

I believe even the stock 3's have a vent to the battery if i'm not mistaken...it serves a purpose.

I did not know this.. Ive had mine off for a couple days now. I guess I should prolly put it back on huh.

You didn't know what, that it served a purpose? Yeah, I remove all of the parts for which I don't know the purpose. Hell, if I don't know what it does, it must not be necessary. You should see the pile of parts in my garage.

The air ram serves two purposes.

The first, it helps cool the battery.

Second, whenever a lead acid battery is charged, it releases a extremely explosive hydrogen gas. Since the battery box is sealed, it needs a way to vent this gas off, which is exactly what the air ram does.

If you remove the air ram, you should also remove the top cover of the battery box.

There is also a resistor right where that tube interfaces with the battery box; a white ceramic block. That gets extremely hot and needs air to cool it off.

You should reinstall the tube...

my ducting is all gone, i guess i should take the cover off? It looks so much better with it on though lol

car manufactures dont install worthless parts imagine how much they could save the company if they could remove that one part of of 100,000 cars

they may not install worthless parts but how worthwhile are some of the parts they install?

Good descusions though and the engine only really gets hot when u stop.
When I get home from work and pop my hood the BOV, IC everything is pretty much cold to the touch. Wait 10 minutes and then its all hot.

I say if you do remove the dam, take the battery cover off too, to let any gasses/vapor/ heat all the junk disapate.

honestly, It probably doesn't help much to take it off, who knows.

Back