remove egr

since , almost everyone had or will have problem whit the egr valve , can we just remove it ??

i know there's other thread about but not a real answer ....

for FI i understand that this valve is impotant to keep the cool of the engine, but for n/a is it the same ??

i don't care about emission ... just want to know is there any other purpose for the egr ?

Last edited:
I don't know how it could be used to keep the cool of the engine. It recirculates exhaust gasses into the intake to burn up any unburnt fuel.

Cleaning the valve isn't that difficult and may not need to be done often. I didn't need to at 55k miles when I did, and I drive the piss out of my Protege5 :)

My car is having the same issuse as a month ago and i remember people here told me is must of been an issue with the EGR, well taking it in tommrow as last month they could not "replicate my problem" (pissed)

the egr needs to remain, however i'm working on an egr replication peice that'll allow you to block off the egr pipe and keeps the engine thinking the egr is there and working fine

twilightprotege said:
the egr needs to remain, however i'm working on an egr replication peice that'll allow you to block off the egr pipe and keeps the engine thinking the egr is there and working fine

i'd be interested in one of these pieces. :)

twilightprotege said:

Twiggy, we stuck a filter on the end of my EGR pipe and no CEL/MIL.

Took mine off my carburated S10, covered the hole with a plate and plugged the vacuum line. Worked great. But who know's if it'll work on fuel injected. Won't hurt to try it out, just a little $$$.

twilightprotege said:
you put a filter at the pipe from the header???

No, the header is capped. The tube was cut back a bit and the filter is on the end of it.

HMM i was planning on removing the pipe altogether and then capping it at the intake mani area. (Once turboed)

Yeah, I'm filtering engine bay air instead of exhaust gasses... the environmentalists probably wouldn't like that (glare)

Back