Remote start

Any chance someone could pass on the user instructions? I have this on my car, but it didn't come with any instructions and the dealer couldn't really help either.
Thanks!

Had the remote installed and I am totally disgusted with it. It's rare that it works, even when I point it out the window directly at the car. It is annoyingly bulky, inconvenient and it's a pain when it shuts the vehicle down when you open the door, but if it worked, I could get over those things. Took it to the dealer yesterday and Service Dept. said nothing wrong with remote and he mentioned the range was pretty poor (why didn't they warn me before I spent the close to $700). Called sales at Mazda today and they said they would add me to the list of complainants. They said Mazda (Japan) are well aware of the consumer concerns and are working on a fix to all the problems. They told me that it was because of the "smart start" feature and that no other brands of remote would change the issues. They said that the Lexus dealership here won't even install remotes on their "smart start" equipped vehicles. It appears that some of you have purchased and/or installed something else. Any problems with the other brands because of the "smart start"? I told them that if the issues don't get resolved, I want it removed from vehicle and want my money back and they said they would agree to do that. I've never had remote start before and was so looking forward to it in our darned cold climate!

The bulky remote and auto-off certainly are legit complaints. I still waiting to hear complaints about poor gas milege numbers after frequent use of remote start. But I understand why it's a desirable luxury in the extreme cold climate areas.

The bulky remote and auto-off certainly are legit complaints. I still waiting to hear complaints about poor gas milege numbers after frequent use of remote start. But I understand why it's a desirable luxury in the extreme cold climate areas.

Yes, a remote start is much appreciated today.....currently -2.2 F OR -29.2 F with the windchill........BRRRRRRRR. Lived here for 57 years, but never get used to it! We do get hot, hot summers, albeit only 3 months or so.

Had the remote installed and I am totally disgusted with it. It's rare that it works, even when I point it out the window directly at the car. It is annoyingly bulky, inconvenient and it's a pain when it shuts the vehicle down when you open the door, but if it worked, I could get over those things.

We are in the same boat. It was added in as an extra on our purchase. We leave it by the door as well as its too bulky for either of us to carry around not to mention you only get one remote... its hit or miss if it will actually start your car if you can figure out the buttons correctly (I still question if im pressing them right every time i use it). And same complaint that as soon as a door is open it turns off which is frustrating when you need to load things in the car or your children and then start the car again. For the most part its basic usage now is my wife starting the car in the morning before heading to work between November and March. Other than that it does not get used... I have not talked to Mazda but i should get my name on the list...i would even be willing to exchange for an alternative accessory(s).

Does installing an aftermarket remote start like the Vipers void the Mazda warranty? What happens if say a year or two down the line the car won't start via the in dash push button? Who covers that?

I got an awesome deal on Viper remote start, installation and upgraded security system and installation at Best Buy for $200 and now I'm wary of installing it. It's been regularly in the teens here and a remote start would be nice, but its more a luxury than necessity except I don't have a garage so car is extremely cold in the mornings.

Does installing an aftermarket remote start like the Vipers void the Mazda warranty? What happens if say a year or two down the line the car won't start via the in dash push button? Who covers that?

I got an awesome deal on Viper remote start, installation and upgraded security system and installation at Best Buy for $200 and now I'm wary of installing it. It's been regularly in the teens here and a remote start would be nice, but its more a luxury than necessity except I don't have a garage so car is extremely cold in the mornings.

If it won't start because of something to do with the aftermarket remote start then yes, there won't be any warranty on that problem from Mazda.

If it is unrelated to the add-on then it should still be covered under warranty but you could end up in a situation where the dealer blames the add-on for it and Best Buy blames the car. And in reality it could make it harder for a tech to diagnose a problem having something in the wiring of the car that he isn't trained on or familiar with.

A good old classic we used to run into would be the installer of whatever aftermarket item runs a screw through the sheet metal to mount something and hits a power wire behind it.

Last edited:
Back